Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3777451 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31510 on: May 22, 2010, 04:10:40 PM »
The Place Promised in Our Early Days

A beautiful animated film from an up and coming Japanese director, I think this guy will be the next big thing in anime.  Its part growing up story, part dreamy scifi tale, part mood piece.  Its insanely gorgeous to look at, probably the most beautiful anime I ever saw outside of a Miyazaki film.   Every image is something you want to have on your wall, amazing landscapes and aerial views.  The plot is pretty simple and stays with the character despite some pretty out there scifi and thriller concepts involved.  The scifi is interesting but never overtakes the human story.  Overall, highly recommended.

Check out some truly amazing high quality screenshots in the Random Screenshot thread.

8/10    

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:13:07 PM by zarodinu »
Iíve lied to men who wear belts. Iíve lied to men who wear suspenders. But Iíd never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #31511 on: May 22, 2010, 06:15:47 PM »

Bin-jip (3 Iron) (Kim Ki-duk, 2004)

This begins as a really gorgeous looking and funny film. The dialogue is almost non-existent - almost meditative. Following Sun-hwa around on his motorbike as he breaks into houses to spend the night is really fascinating. He takes care of their houses, fixes their things, does the washing and leaves again the next day. Along the way he meets up with an abused woman who just blends in with his way of life very naturally. Sun-hwa deals with life, confilct and tragedy in a mostly passive (perhaps buddhist) way - which is sometimes to his detriment.

I was really into this film, and totally went with it, even as the ending becomes quite bizarre. I loved the pace and the simple story. My only problem with the film is that at the very end Kim Ki-duk feels the need to explain what had occurred - I thought that was unnecessary and actually really spoilt the ending. My wife was watching it with me and after that she asked me - is this his first film? Ouch! This one little thing aside - this is a great film.
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #31512 on: May 22, 2010, 08:44:52 PM »
The Big Sleep (1946)

No, I don't know what happened. I don't think Marlowe entirely did, either. He reminds me of an East Coast version of Frances McDormand's character in Fargo - Marlowe just sticks around and keeps asking questions.

And we get one of the great lines in film: "What do you want me to do - count three, like they do in the movies?"

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #31513 on: May 22, 2010, 08:55:31 PM »
The Big Sleep (1946)

No, I don't know what happened. I don't think Marlowe entirely did, either. He reminds me of an East Coast version of Frances McDormand's character in Fargo - Marlowe just sticks around and keeps asking questions.

And we get one of the great lines in film: "What do you want me to do - count three, like they do in the movies?"

Have you read the book? It's much better.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #31514 on: May 22, 2010, 09:01:39 PM »
Yea, the movie isn't good.

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #31515 on: May 22, 2010, 09:11:25 PM »

Not yet.

I disagree. The movie is brimming with mood and sensuality.

dedpool1979

• Proud Member of Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
    • Logan's Movie Blog
« Reply #31516 on: May 22, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »

Not yet.

I disagree. The movie is brimming with mood and sensuality.

Been quite awhile since I saw this one, I might have to track a copy of it down!

flieger

« Reply #31517 on: May 22, 2010, 09:49:30 PM »

??? (sarcasm, right?)

Hawks, Faulkner, Bogart, Bacall etc. The movie is insanely good.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #31518 on: May 22, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »

??? (sarcasm, right?)

Hawks, Faulkner, Bogart, Bacall etc. The movie is insanely good.

I'm in your camp.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #31519 on: May 22, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
Iron Man 2 (Jon Favreau, 2010)

I was kinda pleasantly surprised by this. There are some major flaws in it for sure and the story requires some serious suspension of disbelief, but it's a really fun ride. I enjoyed just about everyone in it, Downey is always fun, but I was surprised with how much I liked everyone else. Except Cheadle, I don't know if it was him or the writing for his character, but he felt really forced.

The story is a bit predictable in hitting all of the notes that you expect from a comic book movie, and it's a little over-stuffed, but despite the frequent level of ridiculousness I was pretty with it.

love