Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5995898 times)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31730 on: May 30, 2010, 01:32:19 AM »
The Headless Woman... this should not be started late at night after drinking.  I paused and resumed it 5 times over 2 weeks i think.  The camerawork is amazing.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #31731 on: May 30, 2010, 04:31:48 AM »
A lot of catching up to do as I have had the flew for the last 5 days.

Cruel Story of Youth or can be called Naked Youth

Loved this, a young couple of 1960's Tokyo get together in a self destructive relationship where they treat others and each other cruelly.  The acting and filming just seem very natural.  I will have to check out Nagisa Ôshima's other films other then In the Realm of the Senses which I did watch once many years back.

In the Wild

The second view for this and it gets even better.  Though I liked Grizzly Man, I really didn't have very much sympathy for Treadwell from watching it, actually quite the opposite.  But this bring me much closer to liking and understanding the doomed soul.

Lonesome Dove

Never watched it before but often hear it is one of the best miniseries ever done.  The Blu-ray was on sale a while ago so I took a chance.  Well, it is not bad and is one of the better miniseries, but it still feels like a miniseries to me.

Out of sight

Entertaining and enjoyable. 

Thirst

Must watch more Korean films!!! Plus more films with her:

This was crazy and a bit over the top at times but it worked and never took me out of the film.

Memories of a Murder

I really must watch more Korean films.  I think I could put this in my top 10 at the moment. 

Breaking the Waves

Thankfully, I watched this the following day after Memories otherwise I would be just too drained.  Its good, but I am not compelled to watch it again.

Burden of Dreams

The documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo.  I have only seen a few Herzog films, though I have liked them all, I find himself more interesting then his films.  I have a few of the older ones to go watch still.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31732 on: May 30, 2010, 07:01:23 AM »
Mystery Team

I had really wanted to see this, but had low expectations as the trailer was such a mixed bag.  Sadly, most of this film feels forced, like they're trying too hard.  Still, the few jokes that work are pretty damn funny.

On the technical side, the shot selection is pretty impressive.  There is a maturity in the camera moves that makes for great visual storytelling.  The lighting, on the other hand, is atrocious. 

Grade C
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #31733 on: May 30, 2010, 12:35:27 PM »
Price of Persia: The Sands of Time (Mike something, 2010)
So noisy. Jake is hilarious as an action hero. I like the Bond girl.
Grade: Noisy
:D
I would have enjoyed it as a mediocre Raiders/Pirates wannabe if that theater wasn't so loud. It was the first time I had been to the big multiplex in ages and the volume hurt my face. I'm old.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31734 on: May 30, 2010, 12:40:11 PM »
T'was pretty loud in my screening too. Sand makes the floor vibrate.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #31735 on: May 30, 2010, 01:08:38 PM »
The Special Relationship

Peter Morgan, the screenwriter of The Special Relationship, has said that it will be the last in his Tony Blair Trilogy, a series which has previously produced The Deal and The Queen. I really do hope he's just yanking our chain, because I for one cannot get enough of Michael Sheen as Blair, and this film, co-produced by HBO, is hardly a fitting ending. In fact, it's hardly an ending at all; though it does give hints toward what that ending is.

Read the rest at TheReelists.com!
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #31736 on: May 30, 2010, 02:45:49 PM »
The Godfather (1972, Francis Ford Coppola)  Grade A+

I was in Rochester, NY this past weekend and used the opportunity to get together with my old friend Stephen O Selsnick.  Rochester is the home of the George Eastman House which contains the world-famous Dryden theater.  This weekend they just happened to be playing The Godfather, so the two of us went out to watch.  How cool was it to watch in this setting.  As many times as I've seen this film, seeing it in this venue I noticed lots of details I'd never noticed before.  Very cool all the way around

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:08:14 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31737 on: May 30, 2010, 03:15:22 PM »
Zombieland (2009, Ruben Fleischer)  Grade B-

I broke my lifetime ban on zombie movies last Thursday night.  And I must admit, this didn't completely suck.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:44:27 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31738 on: May 30, 2010, 03:43:34 PM »
Airplane II: The Sequel (1982, Ken Finkleman) Grade: A

Still hillarious.....but I'm afraid I'll never get over Macho Grande

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:45:18 PM by ferris »
(switchboard)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31739 on: May 30, 2010, 03:57:49 PM »
Zombieland (2009, Ruben Fleischer)  
I must admit, this didn't completely suck.

High praise indeed.  :D But you got this wrong, Zombieland is totally better than The Godfather.

love