Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996190 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31830 on: June 01, 2010, 11:01:39 PM »
Have I lost it? (And if I have, what is it that I've lost?)
Slumdog Millionaire

This film perfectly captures how I feel about movies.

You think they're all really overrated?

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #31831 on: June 01, 2010, 11:09:29 PM »
The Shining

A movie that totally shouldn't work but does.  The acting is weird with Nicholson a little too nutz from the get go, and the wife too mousy and meek, and the kid really strange.  The plot is uneven and all over the place, a bunch of weird episodes that do not particularly lead from one to the other.  Alot of things are left completely unexplained.  The cook character is utterly useles and breaks the tension of the movie.  More creepy and unsettling than gruesome or shocking.  Still somehow alltogether its pretty amazing.

8/10
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #31832 on: June 01, 2010, 11:34:02 PM »
The Shining

A movie that totally shouldn't work but does.  The acting is weird with Nicholson a little too nutz from the get go, and the wife too mousy and meek, and the kid really strange.  The plot is uneven and all over the place, a bunch of weird episodes that do not particularly lead from one to the other.  Alot of things are left completely unexplained.  The cook character is utterly useles and breaks the tension of the movie.  More creepy and unsettling than gruesome or shocking.  Still somehow alltogether its pretty amazing.

8/10

Pretty much agree with it all except the cook serves one specific purpose which is to deliver the sidewinder that Wendy and Danny use to escape.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #31833 on: June 01, 2010, 11:39:32 PM »
Up.

Dug is probably the best thing ever. Looking back on 2009 it seems that kids had the best films (WTWTA, FMF, CWACOM, Up) to pick from. Good on them. Also, it looks gorgeous on the Blu.

A.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #31834 on: June 01, 2010, 11:40:11 PM »
Pretty much agree with it all except the cook serves one specific purpose which is to deliver the sidewinder that Wendy and Danny use to escape.

He also distracts Jack who was about to chop up Wendy.  But why does he get six or seven scenes totaling around 15-20 minutes leading up to him arriving in the hotel?
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #31835 on: June 01, 2010, 11:42:25 PM »

He also distracts Jack who was about to chop up Wendy.  But why does he get six or seven scenes totaling around 15-20 minutes leading up to him arriving in the hotel?

It's both a pretty great punchline for the character (with the set-up being the shot of his winter abode, perhaps) and a great way to get a kill in an otherwise (relatively) bloodless film.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #31836 on: June 02, 2010, 12:02:36 AM »
Titanic (1997, James Cameron)

"I don't know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all this."

Grade: Best movie-going experience of my adolescence.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31837 on: June 02, 2010, 12:10:10 AM »

"I don't know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all this."

I'll defend this movie to this day as a good film. I still like it and I am glad you do too.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #31838 on: June 02, 2010, 12:23:16 AM »

Do you agree that a lot of the effects don't hold up?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31839 on: June 02, 2010, 12:42:23 AM »
Up

I feel this and WALL-E both have excellent first acts that are partly squandered. This is my second time watching Up (I need to watch WALL-E again as well) and based on my memory of WALL-E, where I largely stopped caring when they left Earth, Up continues strong well into the second act as they explore this new world. But the whole conflict between the two old guys just doesn't inspire me very much. Still probably my third favorite Pixar film (maybe one of the Toy Stories...haven't seen them in a long time).