Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996401 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31860 on: June 02, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
Umberto D.
Directed by Vittorio De Sica; Written by Cesare Zavattini

Still, at the end of the day, impressive filmmaking, impressive writing, and an impressive film well deserving of being someone's #1 film of all time.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31861 on: June 02, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »
We Own the Night

Eva Mendes smoking is probably one of the greatest things captured on film.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #31862 on: June 02, 2010, 06:53:26 PM »

Hansen-Love has shown a SHOCKING amount of skill in her first two films, particularly considering she's only 29. Beautiful combo of the dissection of a grieving family with the day-to-day truth of the movie business.

Maybe the best thing I've seen so far this year.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #31863 on: June 02, 2010, 08:37:58 PM »
The Mist

Watched it again, love this flick.  Its a great corny B movie, classic King.  One of the rare movies with an enormous cast that actually work. 

What I love about this film the most is that it is a timecapsule of Bush era liberal paranoia.  Pretty much every left wing Bush era phobia is on display, what The Body Snatchers were to the 50's, this film is to the 00's.  You get distrust of the military, fears that the government is doing something terrible and lying about it, visions of overwhelming enviromental catastrophy brought on by human negligence, a paranoid view of religious people as lunatics who beneath their friendly and pious exterior are really demented cultists who are one small provocation away from child sacrifice, a latent fear of rural areas and the people who inhabit them, and lastly a morbid terror of being a rational few hopelessly outnumbered by a mob of lunatics and fanatics.  Loved it.

8/10

I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31864 on: June 02, 2010, 09:29:31 PM »
z, was your interpretation that the film was intentionally poking at liberal phobias or do you just enjoy it for unintentionally hitting on all cylinders? Because I certainly didn't pick up on the former, maybe because I hold to certain liberal phobias. Anyway, I did enjoy the film a good deal.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #31865 on: June 02, 2010, 09:32:09 PM »
The Mist

Watched it again, love this flick.  Its a great corny B movie, classic King.  One of the rare movies with an enormous cast that actually work. 

What I love about this film the most is that it is a timecapsule of Bush era liberal paranoia.  Pretty much every left wing Bush era phobia is on display, what The Body Snatchers were to the 50's, this film is to the 00's.  You get distrust of the military, fears that the government is doing something terrible and lying about it, visions of overwhelming enviromental catastrophy brought on by human negligence, a paranoid view of religious people as lunatics who beneath their friendly and pious exterior are really demented cultists who are one small provocation away from child sacrifice, a latent fear of rural areas and the people who inhabit them, and lastly a morbid terror of being a rational few hopelessly outnumbered by a mob of lunatics and fanatics.  Loved it.

8/10

awesome rant.  I'm a moderate.  I get to enjoy both sides getting picked on!  :)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

dedpool1979

• Proud Member of Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
    • Logan's Movie Blog
« Reply #31866 on: June 02, 2010, 09:35:17 PM »
The Mist

8/10

I agree...except the story was written well before G.W. took office. Great movie though, I need to pick up the Blu, I love watching the B&W cut, except I wish it looked worse. I know that sounds weird, but I think it would play better if the film stock were dirtier.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #31867 on: June 02, 2010, 10:14:55 PM »
z, was your interpretation that the film was intentionally poking at liberal phobias or do you just enjoy it for unintentionally hitting on all cylinders? Because I certainly didn't pick up on the former, maybe because I hold to certain liberal phobias. Anyway, I did enjoy the film a good deal.

I don't think the movie was poking at liberal phobias in an ironic way, I think it was a completely unintentional expose of left wing fears and paranoias of the Bush era.  Which is what makes it so fun, it wouldn't be fun if it was some conservative movie trying to make a point.   

I mean you have a military project that the government is lying about unleash something terrible on the people.  You have the redneck citizens of a small town turn into a murderous mob of religious zealots in two days, and into a child sacrificing (we want the boy!!!) blood cult by the third day.  Among the very few people not reduced to faith induced dementia are the two city intelectuals and the local school teacher (who quips how the government is spending money on bombs and corporate handouts instead of books), the mob of toothless bible thumpers almost instantly turns on them and they are chased out of the store to avoid lynching and I assume ritual cannibalism.     

I agree...except the story was written well before G.W. took office. Great movie though, I need to pick up the Blu, I love watching the B&W cut, except I wish it looked worse. I know that sounds weird, but I think it would play better if the film stock were dirtier.

I figured out a great way of making it more grainy and old timey, simply watch the colored version after muting the colors on your TV to black and white.  Watching it in black and white this way is alot more ghetto than the crisp and polished official black and white version. 
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31868 on: June 02, 2010, 11:42:25 PM »
Lady In The Water (M. Night Shyamalan, 2006)

This is one of those films where I know I'm too much of an M. Night apologist. I can spot all the things that are terrible about this film. The film critic character is just painful overt meta. There is too much exposition and not enough showing us things. It all feels a bit clunky.

Yet, I can't help but to love the idea enough to still almost want to give the film a pass. [...]

Rating: 3/5

Abomination

• Elite Member
« Reply #31869 on: June 03, 2010, 12:06:30 AM »
I just watched three Coen Brothers movies in the last few days, and I would rank them as such:

1. A Serious Man
2. Barton Fink (Close to being first though)
3. Blood Simple

So, I think for all the Coen films I have seen, it would go:

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Fargo
3. A Serious Man
4. Barton Fink
5. No Country For Old Men
6. Burn After Reading
7. Raising Arizona
8. Blood Simple
9. The Ladykillers

I really need to see the rest of their films now.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:25:01 AM by NeutralGrey »