love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3801795 times)

tjwells

• Elite Member
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31920 on: June 04, 2010, 04:39:51 PM »
Get Him to the Greek - 8/10

WOW. I cannot believe this movie worked. I cannot believe how WELL it worked. My jaw was hurting at times from laughing so much. I think Brand deserves at least a Globe nom for his performance.

I find this very surprising. And you're not the only person I've heard it from. I guess I do have to see it.

And you know what? (Obviously) Setting the lyrics aside, the songs are pretty good too.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #31921 on: June 04, 2010, 04:42:17 PM »
I would call it TV's first Golden Age.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #31922 on: June 04, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »
I've no idea where the connection fits in but this is a great pull-quote.

Even if Lady Gaga herself were to turn up to meet you in the bleachers during the screening, there is no earthly reason for anyone to spend their time or money on "Killers,"

Someone, I think Lady Gaga turning up would be even more of a turn off.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #31923 on: June 04, 2010, 04:57:05 PM »
I would call it TV's first Golden Age.

Fair enough.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #31924 on: June 04, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »
Are people surprised that Get Him to the Greek is being received positively because Forgetting Sarah Marshall was so mediocre? Even so, Brand and Hill were easily the best part about that film, particularly Brand, and many times they were the only guys getting laughs. I've been looking forward to it since I first heard about the film a while after FSM dropped or something. Love Brand's character. Hope to see this during the weekend, if not then definitely my next non-work day.

Two words: Mexican Jonas Brothers.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #31925 on: June 04, 2010, 05:32:22 PM »
Are people surprised that Get Him to the Greek is being received positively because Forgetting Sarah Marshall was so mediocre? Even so, Brand and Hill were easily the best part about that film, particularly Brand, and many times they were the only guys getting laughs. I've been looking forward to it since I first heard about the film a while after FSM dropped or something. Love Brand's character. Hope to see this during the weekend, if not then definitely my next non-work day.

I liked Brand in FSM, but I'm not sure a whole movie of that character excites me. Same with Hill as a lead (despite liking him in Superbad, I think he works best in small doses).

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #31926 on: June 04, 2010, 08:18:21 PM »
Food Inc. (Robert Kenner, 2008)

Scary stuff.

This movie brings home just how bad things are. The most mind boggling thing to me was how many politicians in power positions are also openly working for these various corporations. Who needs lobbyists when you can just work for the government directly? Yikes.

There were a few things I thought needed to be elaborated on. They mentioned how meat was being cleaned with ammonia, but didn't actually say why that was bad. They threw it out there because it sounds bad but didn't explain why. Lots of things sound bad, but when you look at the science behind it you may find that it's safe. I'm just sayin'... I want facts not scare tactics.

Overall though, it's very worthwhile. Even for the already well informed.

IMDB link

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #31927 on: June 04, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »

I liked Brand in FSM, but I'm not sure a whole movie of that character excites me. Same with Hill as a lead (despite liking him in Superbad, I think he works best in small doses).
Dana Stevens and her guest host on Slate's Spoiler Specials made much the same point, jbizz. They didn't much care for the film overall. 

I'd be curious to hear your response to their complaints, tjwells.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #31928 on: June 04, 2010, 08:50:06 PM »

Dana Stevens and her guest host on Slate's Spoiler Specials made much the same point, jbizz. They didn't much care for the film overall. 

I'd be curious to hear your response to their complaints, tjwells.

I can't comment on the things they said specifically, but as far as Brand goes, I think he proves here (just as he did in Sarah Marshall) his ability to bring a lot of depth to a character who should be incredibly one-dimensional. You can see why so many people like him, regardless of his douchebaggery. And I don't know what else they could've disliked about it; funny's funny. The LPM quotient here is definitely higher than anything else released this year.

dedpool1979

• Proud Member of Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
    • Logan's Movie Blog
« Reply #31929 on: June 04, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Easy argument to end...

The Family Guy is the dumbest show to ever air on TV. It thinks one thing is funny, making stupid pop culture references. It is actually pretty bad at even that, it's sole purpose.

The Family Guy is mediocre, but it's no The West Wing when it comes to bad TV.  :)

Movies>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>99.99% of TV Series, that .01% has Seinfeld in it.

Or LOST for that matter.

Wow, seriously?

True Blood, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Fringe, LOST, Modern Family, Glee, Doctor Who, Treme, The Pacific, United States of Tara, Chuck, Damages, Friday Night Lights, Party Down, The Tudors, How I Met Your Mother, House, Justified, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Sons of Anarchy, Parks and Recreation, Community, 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Eastbound & Down, In Treatment, Dexter, Bored to Death, The Venture Bros.?

Television is so much stronger than the movie industry right now I'd be willing to call this television's second golden age.

Bravo Sir.