Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998521 times)

Aaron

Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #3240 on: January 07, 2008, 01:14:36 AM »
The Orphanage

The film was like a diet coke.  Lifts you up via the cafiene but does not load you up on sugar.  It is elegant and takes it time with this story.  Reminded me of The Innocents.
Funny thing is that during a reel change the screen goes black for about 5 minutes.  When the film comes back up we have missed not only the demise of a character who we have no idea who is (in a  very grusome way, I might add) but another character who we have managed to follow up to that point disapears never to return again.  I really want to go and get a refund, but my girlfriend does not want to spend another few hours watching it again.  Neverless I ask for a pass since I was kind of lost because of the missing fotage.  The person selling tickets flat out refuses, assuring me I did not miss a thing.  Then I ask him since he knows so much about what I missed that he can tell me what I did miss.  He gives me a blank stare and finds something better to do that look at me.  I talk to the manager, who assures me that I did not miss a thing, but he did give me a pass.  Handing it to me he assured me again that I only missed about 30 secounds of film, then I ask agian if he could tell me what happened.  He gives me a blank stare. I walk out with a pass and a good story for filmspotting.  B

Sounds like the Varsity. . .
Yep. I knew I should have gone to Uptown
 Love your Avatar by the way.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #3241 on: January 07, 2008, 03:31:29 AM »
The attitude is part of the Varsity's charm.  I worked there for two years.

You like the avatar?  Thought you hated Godard.  Or was that someone else?

Anyway, just finished Turkish director Nuri Bilge Ceylan's Climates and it was beautiful, if a little bleak.  Along with Miami Vice, Zodiac and Still Life it's an example of just how amazing digital photography can be.  Ceylan and his wife Ebru Ceylan are terrific as an estranged couple but, true to the film's title, the weather steals the show.  It's got the best snow since Millennium Mambo.  Knocks Still Life out of the top 5 for 2006, slotting in right behind Rescue Dawn.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

ryanwtyler

« Reply #3242 on: January 07, 2008, 08:50:40 AM »

are yall talking about the fast food restaurant in atlanta?

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #3243 on: January 07, 2008, 10:50:58 AM »
Juno **/*****

I'm not trying to be "the cool guy" who hates everything that gets praise, but I don't understand the love for this movie. i absolutely hated the writing. why must every character deliver a "cute and quirky " line every time they open their mouth? I couldn't stand Ellen Page, and I didn't laugh once.  i don't get it.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

Aaron

« Reply #3244 on: January 07, 2008, 11:04:40 AM »

are yall talking about the fast food restaurant in atlanta?
No the threeplex in the heart of University of Washington.  To tell you the truth it is two theaters and a closet they call a theater.

Aaron

« Reply #3245 on: January 07, 2008, 11:07:24 AM »

You like the avatar?  Thought you hated Godard.  Or was that someone else?

Anyway, just finished Turkish director Nuri Bilge Ceylan's Climates and it was beautiful, if a little bleak.  Along with Miami Vice, Zodiac and Still Life it's an example of just how amazing digital photography can be.  Ceylan and his wife Ebru Ceylan are terrific as an estranged couple but, true to the film's title, the weather steals the show.  It's got the best snow since Millennium Mambo.  Knocks Still Life out of the top 5 for 2006, slotting in right behind Rescue Dawn.
Yeah, I do, but I am planning to see another soon.
Miami Vice had problems when it came to the digital.  Now compare it to Zodiac and Zodiac blows it completly out of the water.  Climates is on my "to see" list

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #3246 on: January 07, 2008, 11:24:02 AM »
Juno **/*****

I'm not trying to be "the cool guy" who hates everything that gets praise, but I don't understand the love for this movie. i absolutely hated the writing. why must every character deliver a "cute and quirky " line every time they open their mouth? I couldn't stand Ellen Page, and I didn't laugh once.  i don't get it.

How refreshing!  (unless you are suggesting my take on Juno is about being the "cool guy" :P
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #3247 on: January 07, 2008, 11:47:52 AM »
Juno **/*****

I'd argue that's fine. You just don't like the stylized world the writer is going for. I myself am more ok or pretty good with it. Some love it. That's just a preference thing and can't be helped.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #3248 on: January 07, 2008, 11:52:41 AM »
Juno **/*****

I'd argue that's fine. You just don't like the stylized world the writer is going for. I myself am more ok or pretty good with it. Some love it. That's just a preference thing and can't be helped.

i'm not sure there is a "stylized world trying to be created" - say more.  my take is that the film begins with a lot of tediously clever slang and exchanges and then, for the most part, backs off.  this was my impression coming out of the film, kelly thought the same thing, and i have heard this and read it from numerous others.  so is this stylized world one in which people speak funny for awhile and then revert to more typical patterns of speech?  to me, a stylized world needs to be consistent, for starters, Juno does not provide that.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #3249 on: January 07, 2008, 12:15:21 PM »
Juno **/*****

i'm not sure there is a "stylized world trying to be created" - say more.  my take is that the film begins with a lot of tediously clever slang and exchanges and then, for the most part, backs off.  this was my impression coming out of the film, kelly thought the same thing, and i have heard this and read it from numerous others.  so is this stylized world one in which people speak funny for awhile and then revert to more typical patterns of speech?  to me, a stylized world needs to be consistent, for starters, Juno does not provide that.
It's stylized speech in the same way that most screwball comedies use stylized speech. That's a major gripe many people have with screwball comedies as well is that they simply don't like it. However, I get what you're saying that it reverts and could be called inconsistent, but I wouldn't say revert is quite clear. It does "slow down" at portions as the whole film doesn't operate with the same quantity of quirky dialogue as the Rainn Wilson scene does. Is that a failure on the part of the writer? I don't know, what are you judging it against? What is your example of a film with successfully stylized dialogue? I would say both My Man Godfrey and Metropolitan have "slow down" portions, despite being noted for their successfully stylized dialogue. There are probably some films that present stylized dialogue as consistently and perfectly as possible, but that's what makes them great films and maybe this a good film.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com