Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996496 times)

J5er

• Elite Member
  • "I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away"
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #3270 on: January 08, 2008, 07:03:51 PM »
I am really sad, because term started Monday, and all my professors started me off with a ton fo homework, so no movies for a long time...  :'(
It's like I've waited my whole life, for this one night.  It's gon' be me you and the dance floor.  We've only got one night.  Double your pleasure, double your fun.  And dance forever.

My Box Office Podcast: www.theboxofficers.blogspot.com

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #3271 on: January 08, 2008, 07:05:54 PM »
I am really sad, because term started Monday, and all my professors started me off with a ton fo homework, so no movies for a long time...  :'(

what classes you taking?
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #3272 on: January 08, 2008, 10:16:42 PM »
The Namesake by Mira Nair *****/*****

This was an amazing, moving film.  I'm still a wreck after watching this.  Mira Nair did a spectacular job.  I loved the performances of Ifran Khan and Tabu.  I am impressed in what Kal Penn did.  Widely recommmended. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #3273 on: January 09, 2008, 06:30:11 AM »
Les Vampires
It isn't the pinnacle of silent film by any means, but it was entertaining for the most part. Certainly some episodes really stand out and others are mediocre (with some falling completely flat), but it worked for me for the most part. Quite a bit of the acting was painful to watch and there were far too many intertitles (with some poor pacing to them), but it made up for it with some of the visuals, the comic relief and the story. It's really good fun.
8.5/10

Clean, Shaven
Loved it, which is great as I bought it on a whim when I found the criterion of it for 10 bucks. It had all the aural excitement that was promised and delivered something that may have bettered The Conversation and other classics of soundtrack use. Peter Greene was great. It succeeded with most if not all of its aims. Certain themes are similar to those of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, but where they are, Kerrigan does a much better job with them. I am a huge fan of subjective perspective in a film and this had so much for me to love. Fantastic, I almost cried at the end and was completely affected by it. So much so that I left the dvd screensaver on for 20 minutes thinking about whether I can forgive Chester for not liking this. I can, but only cause I'm awesome. So is this.
10/10

Really just thought it failed. As I said before, Vittorio Storaro does a wonderful job as he always does, and Bertolucci does well enough with the plot to keep it moving. For its length, it manages to hold my attention admirably, but I don't see where it was effective in any other way. As a story of two people affected by history, by society, by birth rite, by their relationship, by any of these measures it fails. In the other direction, if you try to use their relationship as an allegory for Italian history in this period, for the emotional perspective on history, really in any way, I just don't see success. 315 minutes without a moment where I said "OK, I see why I care and why I'm interested." I wasn't compelled to turn it off, but not to keep it on either (except from the obsessive need to complete the movie). If you want to see film representations of this period of Italian history, go somewhere else. Go to The Conformist, or to any of Wertmuller's films on the subject. There's tons of others, it's quite a hot topic. This is really not worth the time.
5.5/10

La Cravate
One of the parts of the Jodorowsky box set I hadn't seen. This was fantastic. Whether you like Jodorowsky or not, I would suggest this. This has all his prowess without any of the aspects of his filmmaking that have made him famous and infamous. It's silent without intertitles (proving you don't need them), and it not only showcases his understanding of mime (apparently), but it appears to be the genesis of Michel Gondry's entire style. It was just damn cute and full of fun. So great. She sells heads, of course, and love ensues. But with whom?!
9/10 (cause I could see the hole)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:32:02 AM by faceboy »
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

JAGII

• ... then they take Berlin!
« Reply #3274 on: January 09, 2008, 08:52:47 AM »
Ikuru

This is only the second Kurosawa movie I've ever seen (at the start of my personal Kurosawa marathon), but I am amazed at how he interacts with his audience.  Not only does he fill his frames with so much information-- and gives us plenty of time to digest the information-- but he toys with our expectations and interpretations.  The entire wake scene, in which the bureaucrats discuss the "meaning" of Watanabe's life and death presents the audience with a series of logical stopping points, only to have another character enter and offer another interpretation.  We find ourselves arguing with the characters, having followed Watanabe for the past hour and 1/2 and feeling that we have superior knowledge.  However, each bureaucratic offers his interpretation just before the audience sees the anecdote to which the bureaucrat refers, thereby undercutting our superiority.  Furthermore, Kurosawa's decision to continue moving past all logical stopping points severely undercuts any hopeful interpretation (or any interpretation at all), as we know that after the iris out another character has entered the park disrupted Watanabe's ghost.

Remarkable movie, and I'm looking forward to watching Seven Samurai tonight, or at least starting it.

A+

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #3275 on: January 09, 2008, 10:06:10 AM »
Ikiru*

:P

JAGII

• ... then they take Berlin!
« Reply #3276 on: January 09, 2008, 11:07:25 AM »
Ikiru*

:P

whoops. At least I spelled Kurosawa right.

I did, didn't I? :-\

Aaron

« Reply #3277 on: January 09, 2008, 02:13:58 PM »
Once.
Take Strickly Ballroom, dump it in film-carmel and cover that in cocolate and you still don't get close to the slice of heaven that this film is.  If you don't like this, you lack something in you rib cage and it's not a gullbladder!
I absolutly love the scenes with the father.  I could associate with them so much.  Associate is the word that everyone can use with this film.  There is so much that you can relate or want to relate to in this film.
A plus.

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #3278 on: January 09, 2008, 04:15:19 PM »
Atonement - Pretty let down by this one after Adam's great review.  Some great cinematic moments, but I'm not sure how much the story adds up, or how much I believe the character's motives.

** 1/2 or ***

Eastern Promises - Wasn't too excited about seeing because I don't really like Cronenberg, but this is his best film that I've seen.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #3279 on: January 09, 2008, 04:39:10 PM »
Atonement - Pretty let down by this one after Adam's great review.  Some great cinematic moments, but I'm not sure how much the story adds up, or how much I believe the character's motives.

** 1/2 or ***

Ooo, yay!, interesting! Are you the one dissenting voice around here re: that film? (Personally, I haven't had the chance to see it yet, but I like going in hearing both positive and negative reviews.)