Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996765 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32960 on: June 23, 2010, 10:56:13 AM »
Syndromes and a Century (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2006)

Well...I'm not entirely sure what I think of this yet, it's a very interesting film. I was very much with the first half, although it took some time to really get into it. The minimalist style is really beautiful, and there's a lot of really great choices that I loved. The simplicity of the opening credit sequence was awesome. The way different threads of story are picked up and dropped in a seemingly chaotic way was strange, but I was okay with it. Once I got into the right mindset I was just enjoying the mood and ambiance (perhaps the key word) of it.

Once it hits that point where the opening scenes are repeated, it really changed how I was viewing the movie. Suddenly I was trying to make sense of things, comparing the differences, trying to find what the significance might be, instead of just enjoying the feel of it. Ultimately I don't think that's the point, and the distraction had a rather negative impact on my viewing. By the end I had kind of settled back into place, but it left me more conflicted than I otherwise would have been.

I don't feel like I need to rush back to watch this again, but it has left me strangely intrigued, so we'll see.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #32961 on: June 23, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #32962 on: June 23, 2010, 11:19:51 AM »

Rewatched this last night. Probably saw it last 10 years ago.

I definitely need to find a place for this movie in my top 100.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #32963 on: June 23, 2010, 11:24:56 AM »
I definitely need to find a place for this movie in my top 100.

I know, right?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #32964 on: June 23, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »
Pontypool (2008, Bruce McDonald)

B

Good. Offers a unique take on the 'crazy virus spreading everywhere!' plot. I really disliked the female lead however. Atrocious acting.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #32965 on: June 23, 2010, 11:53:54 AM »
The Good, The Bad, and The Weird
A
Should replace "Bad" and "weird" with "really good" and "awesome"

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32966 on: June 23, 2010, 12:01:24 PM »
The Good, The Bad, and The Weird
A
Should replace "Bad" and "weird" with "really good" and "awesome"

Saw a preview for this recently...should have a pretty receptive audience here given some people's love for A Bittersweet Life. Looked pretty cool.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32967 on: June 23, 2010, 01:12:59 PM »
Youth in Revolt

Believe it or not I really liked Micheal Cera in this.  He's actually really good in this.  Its too bad the film around him isn't funny enough, often times incredibly uncomfortable to watch and never feels like it amounts to much.  Its not terrible, but its not good either.  Its forgettable.

Grade C-
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32968 on: June 23, 2010, 02:14:29 PM »
Me, trying to be clever again.
Goldfinger (1964)

This film made a Pussy out of me.

(Well I thought it was a funny joke...)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #32969 on: June 23, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
The Graduate (Mike Nichols, 1967)
A case of one generation literally CINECASTing over the next, The Graduate is half farce, half satire, and there is an oddness and ambiguity at the core of this film that on some days probably makes it seem scarily prescient, and on others half-baked and rather calculated. This incongruity probably stems from the ferocious relentlessness of Bancroft's Mrs Robinson, who utterly dominates the first half, and the clever numbness and purity displayed by Hoffman's Benjamin. After the first half, the film teeters when Hoffman switches to Elaine (Katharine Ross), Mrs Robinson's daughter. From numbed passivity to a pursuing suitor, Hoffman's action seems to stem from impulsiveness, and the need to do something. Rather than a generational break, or a radical departure from what has gone before, it seems to dawn on Benjamin that this sort of sh*t has been going on long, long before his generation. The bus drives on, but clearly he has no idea what he's gotten himself into.
It's a vibrant, zippy, calculated film though. Just when you get bored, or the narrative troughs, Nichols does something that enlivens the screen. The plasticky, nouveau vague goodness onscreen belies an essential lack of depth that none of the players can overcome. The sheen is there, and it's great, but I'm left a little like Benjamin at the end, wondering if I haven't been here before, and had a better time with someone else.

I think you've got that right.  It's one of those movies that's over- and under-rated at the same time.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

love