Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998285 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #35730 on: September 01, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »
Gettysburg

The book is even better. The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #35731 on: September 01, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »
I am waaaay behind on reviews. I'm sitting on so many. In fact, it's so bad I just kinda quit watching movies for a bit but still I've got stuff.  :P

Spirited Away

O oldkid, where art thou?

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #35732 on: September 01, 2010, 02:15:29 PM »
Write your own reviews.

The Clock Vincente Minnelli, 1945

Walker goes on leave for a couple of days, bumps into a lonely Judy Garland and soon they're having romantic partyfests around NYC, driving around in milk trucks and shit. The score probably helps all the romantic feelings swell up as when the moment when Garland and Walker finally kiss - they're in the park, all by their lonesome, and suddenly they start walking toward each other and blah blah blah. I'm going weak at the knees. Least favorite part: the whole rushing thing as they go from office to office trying to get those documents or whatever. It destroys the romanticky movie mood. You know? No, you don't. Now go back and wait by the door. Your husband awaits.

Pyaar Impossible! Jugal Hansraj, 2010

Story about ugly geek who lusts and stalks a girl he went to college with for several years. Somehow he ends up being the nanny to her kid. Story then goes on to prove that people are ridiculously shallow. Uday Chopra is an awful actor - just no presence, charisma, anything. Priyanka Chopra is awesome. Love that shorter haircut she has later in the film.

Dostana Tarun Mansukhani, 2008

Two manly dudes pretend to be gay so they can score a cool apartment. But, of course, their roommate is the totally gorgeous Priyanka Chopra. Stuff ensues. Abhishek Bachchan seemed a whole lot more committed to the comedy than John Abraham, who just stands around being all ripped and stuff. Yes, a lot of that stuff made me laugh. I feel ashamed. However, the greatness of Desi Girl cannot be denied.

Karthik Calling Karthik Vijay Lalwani, 2010

Lonely nerd gets calls from himself that tell him how to turn from zero to hero. Then in, seriously, the next scene he magically already has the confidence to pwn some bitches. Deepika Pakudone is wasted in the girlfriend role, story turns even more ludicrous later on (oh no, why does the call keep coming after I unplug the phone?!!). This thing is just awful and the final shot is hilarious.

Drag Me To Hell Sam Raimi, 2009

Former fattie screws over gypsy demon in order to gain favor with the capitalist fat heads, receives curse and then gets screwed over herself in increasingly ridiculous ways. Lohman is game for it. I like the cartoony gags the best. The bit with the anvil is moment-to-moment perfect. Goats, apple products, douchiness (oh, just keep eating that ice cream!) all climax with a slam bang ending denying you everything you've ever wanted. Moral of the story: don't CINECAST! with the gypsies. Seriously.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:44:13 PM by roujin »

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #35733 on: September 01, 2010, 02:21:57 PM »
Punk: Attitude  Grade-  A-
This sounds pretty cool.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #35734 on: September 01, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:30:25 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

flieger

« Reply #35735 on: September 01, 2010, 03:51:32 PM »
Write your own reviews.

The Clock Vincente Minnelli, 1945
Garland and Minnelli after the novelty of doing it wore off.

Pyaar Impossible! Jugal Hansraj, 2010

Dostana Tarun Mansukhani, 2008

Karthik Calling Karthik Vijay Lalwani, 2010
roujin watches three movies just for one woman... the essence of what cinema is all about.

Drag Me To Hell Sam Raimi, 2009
Alison Lohman opens her mouth, and stuff gets squirted in there.
:-\ (I prefer yours...)

Adrienne

« Reply #35736 on: September 01, 2010, 03:56:03 PM »
I Know You Know  2008

Welsh film; a personal and tender look at a father/son relationship. Beautifully played by Robert Carlyle & Aaron Fuller.

I cried a lot, I always like that.

Mandrake

• Elite Member
  • Do you pick your toes in Poughkeepsie?
    • Nat's Media Rap
« Reply #35737 on: September 01, 2010, 06:08:53 PM »
2 Days in Paris (Delpy, 2007)

Julie Delpy, who had to be directly inspired by her participation – acting, in Richard Linklater’s high acclaimed “double feature” Before Sunrise (1995) and Before Sunset (2004), produced this creepy little romantic comedy in 2007.  Yes, how often you hear the words creepy romantic comedy used together?

Working with a hilarious Adam Goldberg (does the guy play himself in every film he does? here he seems to be stepping straight off the Entourage set); actress, writer, director, editor AND composer Delpy created this little farce of a thirty something couple taking a break from a less than stellar 2 days in Venice (and a longer break from hometown NYC as they have been in a two-year relationship).  In Paris they bunk up with her parents, played by Marie Pillet and Albert Delpy – Delpy’s real life actor parents.  Goldberg’s character (Jack) is overwhelmed with French eccentricity, mostly in its sexual form and this brings out jealousies and resentments as Delpy (Marion) continues to run in to one ex-boyfriend after another.  These encounters, often heated, are told in French with English subtitles so we know what is being said but poor shmuck Jack has no clue.  Jack’s character is straight out of a Woody Allen sketch – in this film Jack has no problem calling the French on their often clichéd attitude towards foreigners – see hilarious scene in a hamburger restaurant:  his closing comment to a purely French-speaking fast food hamburger clerk – “Paris sucks.”  Delpy edits the thing perfectly and the story really does cause some unease – I recommend imbibing a little when you see it.  Total surprise and Delpy is some talent!  Smart, funny and very recommended.  Great date film for those that don’t desire the latest Julia Robert’s romantic comedy.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #35738 on: September 01, 2010, 08:58:38 PM »
Not in the mood for a long review so here are some quick thoughts...

The American

I don't mind that this was such a morose film, in fact I wouldn't have it any other way. Clooney without his charm recalls his more darker characters from films such as Michael Clayton or Syriana. I'd actually compare him even more so to Forest Whitaker in Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai. Scenes of shock may seem predictable but they really do further the story. The film is shot beautifully by former photographer and Control director Anton Corbijn. Rowan Joffe's script is very precise and calculated with every single thing not feeling like it is out of place. I liked it for what it was, an European thriller about an American character.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #35739 on: September 01, 2010, 09:11:22 PM »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

love