love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998101 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #39140 on: December 14, 2010, 12:48:51 AM »
Chloé in the Afternoon - 4/5

Glad you liked it.  It's kind of the culmination of the Moral Tales, though obviously it works on its own.  The scene near the beginning where the guy is imagining having a magic amulet features the heroines from the previous films.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #39141 on: December 14, 2010, 12:52:04 AM »
Paths of Glory (rewatch) - As I'm recovering from surgery, I'm not feeling too wordy at the moment.  So it's just as well that most of the movies I have waiting to be watched are ones I've written about before.  I will simply reiterate that this is one of Kubrick's masterpieces (one of his top 3, if you ask me).  But I'd also like to add that as much as people rave about the final scene, it doesn't REALLY do much for me.  I think it's a nice touch and is effective, but it doesn't bowl me over with its greatness or anything.  Rating: 10

Yet you give it a 10? You are very nice to a film that doesn't bowl you over.  I think it has become my favorite film of Kubrick's and he always has been one of my favorite director's to watch.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #39142 on: December 14, 2010, 12:55:49 AM »
A Canterbury Tale (rewatch) - When I think of the Archers, "odd" isn't the word that first comes to mind.  But when you think about it, even if they didn't do Jodorowsky-esque mindCINECAST!s, a lot of their work had a strangeness or strange element to it.  Black Narcissus, Tales of Hoffmann, The Red Shoes, A Matter of Life and Death... and this one, a film that isn't that weird on the surface but is damn near impossible to classify.  The movie has a plot but doesn't seem terribly interested in sticking to it... it presents a series of glimpses into rural English life, and yet is not merely a collection of pastoral episodes.  Whatever it is, it creeps under your skin, or more accurately embraces you like a warm blanket.  The ease and simplicity of the storytelling (aided by the lovely cinematography) draws you in to the lives of these characters, especially Shiela Sims and John Sweet (whose performance is amateurish in the most endearing way).  It's all so quaint, but never to the point of being twee.  I didn't need to buy this DVD, but it was nice returning to it, it's got such a "homey" feel to it.  Rating: 8

Every once in awhile I forget just how awesome this movie is.  It sneaks up on you the way a goofy wartime propaganda film turns into one of the most transcendent experiences in all of cinema.

Are Powell & Pressburger, after Welles, the weirdest of mainstream 1940s filmmakers?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #39143 on: December 14, 2010, 12:58:03 AM »
Paths of Glory (rewatch) - As I'm recovering from surgery, I'm not feeling too wordy at the moment.  So it's just as well that most of the movies I have waiting to be watched are ones I've written about before.  I will simply reiterate that this is one of Kubrick's masterpieces (one of his top 3, if you ask me).  But I'd also like to add that as much as people rave about the final scene, it doesn't REALLY do much for me.  I think it's a nice touch and is effective, but it doesn't bowl me over with its greatness or anything.  Rating: 10

Yet you give it a 10? You are very nice to a film that doesn't bowl you over.  I think it has become my favorite film of Kubrick's and he always has been one of my favorite director's to watch.

The film as a whole bowls me over... it's just that the final scene doesn't affect me as much as it seems to affect everyone else.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #39144 on: December 14, 2010, 01:04:31 AM »
Are Powell & Pressburger, after Welles, the weirdest of mainstream 1940s filmmakers?

That sounds like a safe assertion.  Jacques Tourneur would be up there, too.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #39145 on: December 14, 2010, 01:12:19 AM »

The film as a whole bowls me over... it's just that the final scene doesn't affect me as much as it seems to affect everyone else.

Got it, I do not know what is wrong with my reading comprehension lately...
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #39146 on: December 14, 2010, 01:13:22 AM »
No problem, it was an awkwardly constructed review.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #39147 on: December 14, 2010, 01:24:51 AM »

That sounds like a safe assertion.  Jacques Tourneur would be up there, too.

Maybe Preston Sturges as well.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #39148 on: December 14, 2010, 09:41:41 AM »
Marwencol

OK, so I'm a closet hipster.  Sort of.  And this little secret is possibly what prevented me from just loving this film.  This American Life, the TV series, in its second season profiled Mark and his 1/6 scale fantasy town of Marwencol.  In those 10 minutes the segment director got to the root of Mark's art and the humanity within in a much quicker and stronger manner.  Its one of my favorite segments the series ever did and brought me to tears each time I watched it.  Also, the This American Life cinematographers are much better at capturing beauty in simple images.  I'd love to go observe those guys working.

I don't associate TAL with hipster-dom. If anything, with how popular it is, I'd think it would almost be uncool to like it. Definitely curious about this one.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39149 on: December 14, 2010, 09:56:19 AM »
Exit Through The Gift Shop

Not sure why I'm reviewing this in the documentary marathon; it doesn't belong there. It does belong in a great movie marathon though.

love