Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3692950 times)

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #39190 on: January 02, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »
I forgot to add, the DVD case The Proposition was in was made by some company called Steelbook owned by Scavano that does metal packaging. The Dark Knight, Fight Club, and Platoon also have similar limited edition packaging.

"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #39191 on: January 02, 2011, 09:30:12 PM »
The King's Speech

Great performances by Firth, Rush, and Carter, a funny, touching film.  It doesn't work if you don't feel for Firth's character, and you do.  Helena Bonham Carter is subtle here, a nice change from her most recent roles, and Clovis is right, lots of funny moments.  It's more than the trailers are making it out to be.  In my top 10 for the year.

The Fighter

Better than I thought it was going to be, and Bale is deserved of the praise he is receiving.  Pretty typical underdog story, but those kind of stories still warm my heart. I also really liked Amy Adams here.

The Extra Man

Kevin Kline is fun here, he is such an eccentric, funny character, but when Paul Dano is alone on his screen, without Kline, it falls very flat.  I thought some aspects of the plot were neither funny nor compelling. But Kline provided some comedic moments that make me wish I saw him in more films these days.  I have to watch Dave or A Fish Called Wanda again soon.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39192 on: January 02, 2011, 09:36:28 PM »
Despicable Me

The best large scale animated film to be given a wide release since Bolt, and outclassed only by Bolt and Shrek in that category as well of the recent CGI trend. I suppose Toy Story is a better film as well, though perhaps not.

I found it rather generic and uninspired.

It has an emotional weight and delightful enough frame composition and use of color that I can more than look past the more broad humor and non-stop switching tricks that lesser, insufferable, films like How to Train Your Dragon or Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs fall prey to. You focus on Gru and the girls and there's a resonance there that few films like it can aspire to reaching, let alone execute.

I completely disagree.  My biggest problem was that the film trades committing to the emotional story in favor of dividing its attention between the fighting between the two villains and the family story effectively rendering both plot lines inert.  Both feel watered down.  I think Cloudy brings more family emotion with the father and son story while maintaining a high level and variety of comedy styles, while How to Train Your Dragon has a great bonding storyline and brings the a real sense of adventure.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Puke Lerry

« Reply #39193 on: January 02, 2011, 09:40:17 PM »
Rabbit Hole (Mitchell, 2010)

I have virtually no qualms with the writing or acting (well maybe the ridiculous faces Eckhart makes when he screams) but Mitchell's direction is so utterly unspectacular that it renders the material from modest to overwhelmingly dry. I felt all the film's virtues being suffocated under the TV-movie cinematography, blocking and music.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #39194 on: January 02, 2011, 09:42:28 PM »
But Kline provided some comedic moments that make me wish I saw him in more films these days.  I have to watch Dave or A Fish Called Wanda again soon.

I got 55 minutes into The Ice Storm before my DVD copy froze (and it turned out it had scratches all over the bottom of it, first time that has happened with Netflix for me), but he was excellent. One of my favorite actors.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #39195 on: January 02, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »
Good Will Hunting

Why is this film so damn good?
FroHam, I hear what you're saying...

...and you're completely right.  (at last)   ;D
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #39196 on: January 02, 2011, 09:52:40 PM »
Buried

Bleh, I liked almost nothing about this. There's really nothing clever about the story, and it earns absolutely none of the emotion it tries to play. The suspense isn't suspenseful, and the writing is so frustratingly contrived I wanted to stop it several times. I feel bad for Ryan Reynolds, because he's clearly giving it his best, but the movie was just a very infuriating experience.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #39197 on: January 02, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »
Good Will Hunting

FroHam, I hear what you're saying...

...and you're completely right.  (at last)   ;D
You guys suck when you get along.  :P

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #39198 on: January 02, 2011, 10:37:57 PM »
I love Good Will Hunting AND Malick.

"Passes it to the man aaaaaaaand Boom goes the dynamite."
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #39199 on: January 02, 2011, 10:40:39 PM »
Good Will Hunting

It's a perfectly written, perfectly directed, perfectly acted perfectly perfect little movie. Not a single false note in the whole thing.

I must have seen a different movie.  Every single moment with Robin Williams is a false note.

Leave it to Williams to f*ck up an otherwise somewhat okay movie.
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap