Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996230 times)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #39200 on: December 15, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
a slow meditative piece on the travel through the jungle, where we are simple watching the people affected by the Monsters and barely see the Monsters themselves

We're talking about Predators right?

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #39201 on: December 15, 2010, 08:26:39 PM »
Monsters

To anyone wondering what its like, its War of the Worlds directed by Sofia Coppola on a 20 million dollar budget.  It has the pacing, atmosphere, cinematography, and dialogue of Lost in Translation, in an alien invasion movie.  The actual budget is a laughable 15K which is probably what James Cameron's directors chair cost in Avatar, but it looks like a 10-20 million dollar Hollywood film.  The effects are not as good as District 9, but just like that film are blended seamlessly into the environment; heck, even during the big CGI scenes the effects looked good, much better than Star Wars prequels (suck it Lucas). 

This has the same problems as a Sofia Coppola picture, the plot is meandering, the acting is muted, and not a whole lot happens.  However, in return you get natural performances, beautiful cinematography, and a serene meditative, even dreamy tone.  Also an amazing sex scene.  My one disappointment was the Lovecraftian design of the monsters, I wish the director went in a more creative route with the creatures.  Still check it out. 

8/10   
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #39202 on: December 15, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
Anchored by two incredible performances,

I can kind of hear what you're saying (even if I don't agree with you) with the rest of what you said, but this statement is just so, so wrong. Those two performances are horrendous. They really seemed like they didn't know what they were doing, there is no chemistry between the two, and the characters themselves are CINECAST!ing morons.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #39203 on: December 15, 2010, 09:04:18 PM »
Outrage (Takeshi Kitano, 2010)

I've been looking forward to this for a long time. It's Kitano's first film following his extremely odd "surrealist autobiographical" trilogy, and his return to the Yakuza film for the first time in 10 years. I had high hopes that this would be a serious return-to-form for Kitano, and rejoice, it is!

What Outrage actually reminded me most of is a modern day The Yakuza Papers. And that's certainly not a bad thing! The story is similarly intricate, following a huge cast of characters and complex relationships and manipulations between several yakuza families. Also similarly, it can be a bit hard to follow for these reasons. But although it definitely required some effort put into it, I thought the story was compelling, and the characters are great.

And it's very well made. Perhaps you can imagine how exciting a Kitano-styled Yakuza Papers would be for me. ;D There's some wonderful cinematography, and the man hasn't lost his touch on depicting violence. I could've done with a bit more of that Kitano flare though. It's certainly there, and I loved it, but I also felt like this was, overall, a bit more generic feeling than Kitano's best. Perhaps he was over-compensating to make this mainstream-friendly after his last three films? Anyways, I still enjoyed it a lot, so I'm a happy camper.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #39204 on: December 15, 2010, 09:35:37 PM »
Thanks, Melvil.  I plan to catch Kitano's "surrealist autobiographical" trilogy, so you can imagine how psyched I am about this.  I'm hoping the planned Zatoichi 2 is next.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #39205 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:31 PM »
Anchored by two incredible performances,

I can kind of hear what you're saying (even if I don't agree with you) with the rest of what you said, but this statement is just so, so wrong. Those two performances are horrendous. They really seemed like they didn't know what they were doing, there is no chemistry between the two, and the characters themselves are CINECAST!ing morons.

I would describe them as alienated not horrendous, they resembled character in a Gus Van Sant film.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39206 on: December 15, 2010, 11:01:35 PM »
If I Want To Whistle, I Whistle (2010)

Before I get into the main review, I saw a Dutch short film Kiss. Basically a dad and his son are talking as his son shaves his dads head/face...his dad is about to deploy to war. We also see the son playing out a war battle with toys, implying that is what is happening in real life. It was kind of meh.

Anyway, When I Want To Whistle, I Whistle is Romania's entry for the Oscar this year. The main premise, a kid in a juve sort of prison being concerned when he finds out his absentee mother has come back and plans on taking his younger brother, who he raised, with her to Italy (from Romania). Most of the stuff dealing directly with this is interesting enough. Unfortunately, most of this film has stuff that doesn't seem to connect or else involves inexplicable decisions/reactions and it just spins completely out of control. I was actively in pain watching this toward the end. It managed to make a moderate run time seem excruciating. A real let down as I've at least enjoyed most of the other major Romania films of the past decade.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #39207 on: December 15, 2010, 11:48:14 PM »
Thanks, Melvil.  I plan to catch Kitano's "surrealist autobiographical" trilogy, so you can imagine how psyched I am about this.  I'm hoping the planned Zatoichi 2 is next.

I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think about all of them! Is a Zatoichi sequel really planned? That could be amazing!

However, apparently next will actually be:

It's teased in the credits as 2011. A little surprising, but heck, I'm in!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39208 on: December 16, 2010, 12:06:42 AM »
Micmacs

Jeunet finds a way!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #39209 on: December 16, 2010, 12:11:23 AM »
Aww man, I wanted to be the one that brings Monsters to Filmspotopia. Still, I'm now super excited to see it rather than just very-very.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love