Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998322 times)

choatime

Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #4250 on: March 13, 2008, 03:02:47 PM »
Breaker Morant

"It's a new kind of war for a new century."   This is a pretty interesting film about the court martial of Australian horseman/poet/soldier Harry "Breaker" Morant and two others by the British for the murder of prisoners of war and a German missionary during the Boer War, which is a war I know basically nothing about but would like to know more now.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4251 on: March 13, 2008, 03:28:56 PM »
I was pretty impressed by it too.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #4252 on: March 13, 2008, 05:18:26 PM »
Breaker Morant

"It's a new kind of war for a new century."   This is a pretty interesting film about the court martial of Australian horseman/poet/soldier Harry "Breaker" Morant and two others by the British for the murder of prisoners of war and a German missionary during the Boer War, which is a war I know basically nothing about but would like to know more now.

just saw that on saturday. I loved it soooooo much.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

Stocka

• Twitter
« Reply #4253 on: March 13, 2008, 06:23:17 PM »
Lady Vengeance

Chan-Wood Park doesn't fail in carrying on his unique directing style from Oldboy, however, I found this nowhere near as compelling. There were no stand-out memorable moments in this film like there was in Oldboy, it never shocked me or wowed me. But nevertheless a decent film.

6/10
Top 5 Films Ever:
#1 The Good The Bad And The Ugly
#2 Seven Samurai
#3 City of God
#4 Blade Runner
#5 There Will Be Blood
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jamesstock
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=29981227

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #4254 on: March 15, 2008, 04:40:30 AM »
The Castle
On cable and definitely funny.  Makes me miss all my mates in Oz.  A little voice over heavy, but charming, with hilarious performances throughout.
7/10

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4255 on: March 15, 2008, 11:25:36 AM »
Inspired by Matty's Top 5:
The Fog of War

I forgot how brilliant this documentary is. I read somewhere that in his book on Vietnam, McNamara's shys away from his involvement in the big decisions. Since I haven't read In Retrospect yet (I plan to however), I don't know wheter that's true but I could imagine that if it were not for Morris's relentlessness, this would have been a lot less interesting.
I also really like the score by Philip Glass.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4256 on: March 15, 2008, 06:50:05 PM »
In preparation for Pineapple Express I'm watching all the classic Buddy Movies.  I started my Marathon with the definitive.

Lethal Weapon

WOW.  This was underwhelming.  Talk about disappointing what does the rest of the world see in this.  It makes me realize why Die Hard was such a huge success, I mean Die Hard is way more action packed than this film and has a coherent story.  Lethal Weapon's first act is over 40 minutes long.  That's forty minutes of setup for what amounts to a lot of nothing.  It's too easy.  I know Shane Black is talented, and I also know that his original script was much different than what's on the screen, but it seems that ever time I get excited to see something he's written I walk away wanting.  I think Danny Glover is really good in it, and Gibson has really good moments, but it's just an excuse to blow stuff up, none of which amount to any real drama or tension. 

Grade C+
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

SloppyDog

« Reply #4257 on: March 15, 2008, 07:44:05 PM »
Double feature (very long one) - Seven Samurai (9/10) and Magnificent Seven (7/10)

I'm sure I don't need to rave about SS on these boards, so I won't, but it's great - if a touch long. There are just some wonderful shots - the two-shot just after the kid meets the girl amongst the flowers - both sitting, she's facing the camera, he's facing her. Just gorgeous. I even pasued on the shot for a minute.

MS was kinda dissapointing, I think they made some frankly silly changes in adapting SS, particularly the mixing of the farmer and the kid into one role. I think it worked much better with them as separate characters. The kid in MS was so obnoxious during the first two acts, becasue he was being the farmer-trying-to-escape-his-past too, that I really couldn't have cared less about his burgeoning romance. The romance itself could have been placed a little more front and centre, too.

Anyway, both v good films in their own way and I'm glad I (a) finally got around to see them, and (b) saw them together.

Cheers

Alex

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #4258 on: March 15, 2008, 07:50:35 PM »
The Other Boleyn Girl

Grade: D

Beyond disappointing, even the costumes and sets were boring
The acting was poor all-around, even Bana.  His body was present; his personality was elsewhere.

Stay home and read the excellent book that was the original text for the botched screenplay.

Texan Down Under

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #4259 on: March 15, 2008, 10:18:09 PM »
Kickin' It Old School ***/*****

It's alright.  Not as good or as funny as Malibu's Most Wanted but I like Jamie Kennedy's work.  His schtick as a 30-year old kid woken up from a 20-year coma while trying to breakdance again.  That's funny.  Michael Rosenbaum was funny.  Some parts and jokes don't work though.  Yet, a David Hasselhoff cameo is a bonus. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

love