love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996204 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #9740 on: January 09, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
Actually I'm the opposite as I thought ledger was subpar like he usually was, but I loved Olin, Stiles and especially Levitt and the Jewish friend whose name I can't remember. Sure, it was cliched, but it was a fun cliched movie, and that's all I want out of a movie like that.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #9741 on: January 09, 2009, 06:43:33 PM »
Se7en

...um, like, wow...?

After wanting to see this for ages, I finally caught up with it, and I was massively impressed. It's easily the best of Fincher's work that I've seen (in descending order, Se7en, Zodiac, 2C2B, Fight Club) and is easily right up there as one of the best genre films I've ever seen with All That Heaven Allows and Sunshine.

This really is a film where everything is pretty much perfect. Fincher's hand is obvious behind everything, something made clear by Zodiac, which is so similar stylistically, which really makes perfect sense, considering the similar ideas running through each, even tho Se7en is massively more malicious.

Equally, the cast is really just perfect. There is not a single major player who does not bring their absolute A game. A special shout out to Poultry* who is understated in the extreme, but exactly what the movie requires of her. (I love the scene where she talks with Freeman in the cafe, and he makes a comment that I don't want to write for fear of spoilers, but the moment he says it, her eyes shut tight to stop the tears and she quickly looks away, and it's just perfect, absolutely perfect, really from both of them, but especially her, and even more so, because her reaction was the exact, exact same as my own.)

The story is pretty much perfectly paced and developed, although one of the major scenes, in retrospect, seems perhaps a bit forced, a bit much of contrivance, and put in place directly with the purpose of driving the plot forward. (And I know people will say, surely everything is, but this one moment I'm talking about is more forced than anything else in the film, and doesn't flow. It seems written, not natural.)

I loved the constant rain, and I thought it was amazingly well shot, and when the rain eventually stops, it fits perfectly as well, and the cinematography becomes even better. The ending I saw coming, and I pretty much knew how it was going to play out, but I kept expecting a twist, and while it never came, Fincher kept me on the edge of my seat, just as he did throughout, and he made the ending play out exactly as it needed to.

All in all, I thought this was pretty much perfect. And I don't think I'm going to far as to say it's worth rating:

5/5

*This is a family joke. I feel bad writing this when I'm trying to give her props, but when I think of Gwyneth, it's Poultry, not Paltrow.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #9742 on: January 09, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »
So FCMuse, do you think Se7en should still be in the 90s Bracket?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #9743 on: January 09, 2009, 07:24:46 PM »
Se7en
 and is easily right up there as one of the best genre films I've ever seen with All That Heaven Allows and Sunshine.

As somebody who is objectively awesome, I officially award you the Awesomest Person That Is Not Me award in Awesomeness.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #9744 on: January 09, 2009, 07:26:52 PM »

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #9745 on: January 09, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »
Se7en
 and is easily right up there as one of the best genre films I've ever seen with All That Heaven Allows and Sunshine.

As somebody who is objectively awesome, I officially award you the Awesomest Person That Is Not Me award in Awesomeness.

I don't get it. Why don't I deserve an Awesomest Person award?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #9746 on: January 09, 2009, 07:55:30 PM »
Nice to see some more love for Se7en. I never get tired of reading people praise it.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #9747 on: January 09, 2009, 07:59:53 PM »
Nice to see some more love for Se7en. I never get tired of reading people praise it.

it's my favorite fincher film by far.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #9748 on: January 09, 2009, 09:11:40 PM »
So FCMuse, do you think Se7en should still be in the 90s Bracket?

Having not seen Contact, I will not say either yes or no. However, having seen Fight Club, I would have resurrected Se7en, but that is not meant in any way as a slight against OneAprilDay. I need to watch Fight Club again, because, what I didn't reveal in my ranking of Fincher is that, while Se7en, Zodiac and 2C2B are all quite close, FC is a long way below. However, it needs a revisit, and there is a good chance that my issue is not Fincher but Palahniuk.

Se7en

Uh, why thank you. I'm glad you find me so awesome. I do try.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #9749 on: January 09, 2009, 09:16:06 PM »

Honeydripper  (John Sayles, 2007)

I hate to say it, but maybe John Sayles has been doctoring crap Holywood scripts for too long.  There's a lot of good stuff here — Danny Glover hypothesizing about the first black piano player in America is vintage Sayles — but also way, way, way too many false moments, lazily strung together oftentimes.  I mean, some real cringe-inducing dramatics.  There's kind of a mediocre Hallmark TV movie feel to things, too, combined with an annoying theatricality.  At first I thought maybe the film was trying to recreate the feel of some of the early all-black dramas, but I couldn't sustain that excuse for the duration.  It's a nice cast, though, with musician Gary Clark, Jr., stealing scenes from veteran actors like Glover and Charles S. Dutton.  Maybe just because he's cuter.

Grade: C+

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love