love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998539 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #4980 on: May 01, 2008, 12:12:16 PM »
Days of Heaven

Beautiful looking movie.  I loved the cinematography, utterly brilliant.  Which was good, because the story and characters by themselves would not have grabbed me.  The storytelling was oblique and it was hard to get very emotionally involved with the characters although my sympathies were with the farmer and Brooke Adams, wanting them to pull it out even though I was sure it would all end badly.  I liked the narration and think that that helped me get into it too.  It was interesting that you learned very little of the sister character who narrates and only see her on the edge of things.

B+

Pretty well how I felt about it when I first saw it a couple months ago. Well said.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #4981 on: May 01, 2008, 02:24:01 PM »
Baby Momma

I was very excited to see this movie as I am a very big fan of both Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. I was hoping the comedy would be on the level of Mean Girls (should that go in the unpopular movie opinions thread?). But sadly, it was not nearly as entertaining as I had anticipated.  The filmmakers couldn't decide whether to be funny or dramatic, or whether Poehler should have a hick accent or not, or if the characters should like each other or not. Its just messy and all  over the place. There are some laughs, however, and the two leads are such likeable people in real life that its hard not to like them pairing up on screen.

5.5/10
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

WallE

« Reply #4982 on: May 01, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »
I am seeing Iron Man tonight... so ill let you guys know when I get back just how seriously awesome it is!

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #4983 on: May 01, 2008, 03:07:47 PM »
Iron Man

Fantastically entertaining

4/5

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #4984 on: May 01, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »
Braveheart

I had never seen it before, but I'm not sure that I'm much better off for finally having seen it. In my opinion, there are some very misjudged moments in terms of tone (kitsch alert!), which seem to be the director's fault, but the unconvincing script could have something to do with it as well. The back story that provides Wallace's motivation was so clichéd, and took way too long to set up. I was unimpressed by all of the actors except maybe Angus McFadyen, whom I found quite charismatic.

Going in, I had dreaded the battle scenes because I have quite a hard time with on screen violence sometimes, but I was actually quite surprised and relieved that those scenes were fewer and shorter than I had feared. I still fast forwarded through them a little... I'm really struggling to come up with a few more positive things that I could say, but all I can think of is that the landscapes were astonishingly beautiful.

My final sentiment: Ok, seen that one too now. Moving on...

nougatmachine

« Reply #4985 on: May 01, 2008, 06:10:29 PM »
Getting a head start on the 70's sci-fi marathon.

The Omega Man
Yeah, it's cheesy, but it's fun for what it is. My main annoyance with it was that of course Charlton Heston absolutely MUST get it on. Unnecessary. I liked the beginning, and the bad guy hamming it up was fun. 3/5

The Andromeda Strain
It may have dragged a bit in a few places but I have to have some kind of respect for anybody committed to making a convincing depiction of the long, deliberate decontamination process and the long, deliberate way the scientists go about their work. It could all be made up for all I know but it's certainly more convincing than the usual hollywood CSI type thing. Hi-five to whoever made sure the woman was convincing as an established big name in science (most science girls in movies are barely old enough to be graduate student lab assistants). And great production design of course. Still not sure what I think of the ending so I'll hold off on a rating but it probably deserves at least 3.5/5, maybe 4. Hooray for the arbitrary nature of rating systems.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #4986 on: May 02, 2008, 01:52:12 AM »
Iron Man
Everything a super hero movie should be.  Film takes it's time setting things up, not just introducing the characters, but fleshing them out so when things do become perilous the viewer actually cares what happens to them.  Script is tightly paced with a lot of political commentary subtly embedded in the clever wordplay.  Plus, the movie is really funny.  Some great physical gags and charming banter between Downey and Paltrow.
The cast makes the film.  Downey deftly carries the film.  Jeff Bridges, what can I say, the guy can do no wrong.  Love him as a villain.
Stick around after the credits.
8/10

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4987 on: May 02, 2008, 03:39:53 AM »
Cloverfield

I had been warned by my friends that this was a really good idea and a good movie, but would only work on the first viewing.  Well, I loved my first viewing that I cannot wait to see it again and may go tonight if I can find a remaining screening in London.  I was truly scared through a good portion of the film, jumping at all the little creatures, freaking out a little here and there.  Plus I found the first ten minutes of the film so engrossing that when the action started happening I was caught off guard.  This is a brilliant film that certainly is much better than any Hollywood blockbuster I've seen in a long time.  It's a huge Hollywood actioner pretending to be an indie film.  I loved it!

Grade A

The Darjeeling Limited

I liked the first third of the film a lot, but once the raft scene ends I began to falter with it.  And that raft scene is terrific.  I was gripped by it, so once the rest of the movie unfolded I felt nothing could live up to that moment.  It was good, but not great.

Grade B

Hitman

Utterly terrible.  How is a movie about an elite killer this boring?  I could barely stay awake or interested.  The chick was hot though.

Grade D+

St. Trinian's

Quite possibly the worst British film I've ever seen.  This is completely and utterly worthless.  It's just a bunch of cameos and mugging.  Avoid.

Grade F

Jumper

This was better than I had been told, but not by much.  The action is really cool and very fun to watch, but the rest of the film is boring and unsatisfyingly pedestrian.  Also Hayden Christiansan and Rachel Bilson seem to be holding a contest over who can deliver a worse performance.  Still, I was entertained.

Grade B-
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #4988 on: May 02, 2008, 05:46:28 AM »
Iron Man - Better than any of the X-Men films or Spider-man sequels.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4989 on: May 02, 2008, 07:16:35 AM »
Iron Man - ROCKED!  I say it's the best super hero movie to come out so far. Downey Jr is delightful, funny, wicked and heroic. Amazing action sequences. Bridges is great villain who is obviously enjoying his role.

And the effects...I never thought IM was this cool in the comics. I may just have to go out and revisit the comic...
Hey, nice marmot!

love