Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998094 times)

Katebo

• Elite Member
  • Shiny!
    • Sound on Sight TV
Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 01:33:52 AM »
Finally just saw Adaptation. Wow. Yeah, everyone was right, it's that good. Better late than never?

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 05:53:10 AM »
Quote from: "sdedalus"
Have you seen Asano in Last Life In The Universe, by Pen-Ek Ratanaruang?  A great movie, with some of Christopher Doyle's best cinematography.  Asano's really good in it.
I just got Ratanaruang's previous film, 6ixtynin9 from Netflix, gonna watch it in the next couple of days.

Yes, I've seen it, good movie. "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" has a very simular pacing... 6ixtynin9 i don't know.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 01:27:23 AM »
The Fountain - Watched this last night and I've been kicking it around off and on all day today.  I've decided UI can't really discuss it without giving away too many spoilers, so suffice it to say I liked it alright.  It wasn't great, nor particularly profound, but I wouldn't call it pretentious either.  I appreciate the sincerity and ambition behind it, and while I don't think the film is totally successful, I admire Aranovsky's effort.

Visually it was somewhat interesting, but not especially beautiful.  Both Jackman and Weisz were pretty good, which I've never thought of either of them before.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 09:16:41 AM »
Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban

Excellent film that is getting better with age.  Its my favorite of the Potter films and is a technical masterpiece.  This isn't just a good Potter movie or a good genre film, but a great stand alone film as well.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Matt Singer

• Filmspotting: Streaming Video Unit
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 12:19:33 PM »
The Architect

This is a small little indie that's coming out in New York in a few weeks from Magnolia Pictures.  It stars Anthony LaPaglia and Isabella Rossellini, and it's about how one of his buildings, a housing project, is going to be torn down and how it affects and reflects on his family.  Too short, and not quite in depth enough, but quite interesting nonetheless.
-Matt Singer
Co-host, Filmspotting: SVU
FilmspottingSVU.com
Matt on Twitter
Termite Art

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 01:23:57 PM »
We're projecting that in Blu-Ray next week.  Mark Cuban (who owns Magnolia Pictures and our theatre chain) is making a big deal about it.

I think we're playing it in 8 different cities next week, all digitally projected Blu-Ray.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 03:20:14 PM »
Fast Food Nation-While not as entertaining as Super Size Me but still informative and very insightful on the dark side of the fast food industry.  The film has a great cast with the likes of Greg Kinnear, Ashley Johnson, Catalina Sandino Moreno, and Ethan Hawke.  The film though, does have its flaws in that it's a bit uneven in the stories they tell and also, the horrendous performances of Wilmer Valderamma and Avril Lavigne.  They can't f*cking act.
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 05:15:26 PM »
Deja Vu-Denzel Washington carries the film and I enjoyed it overall.  Take your suspension of disbelief with you and don't worry about adding it all up, just roll with it.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

DaveNJ

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 09:42:03 PM »
Just saw The Rules of the Game for the first time. All I can say is this: wow. I loved The Grand Illusion, but this movie just ramps up the ambition so much more, and is so much more masterful. Taking on at least 8 serious characters, but no definable leads, creating a comic tragedy long before it was fashionable, and interspersing race, social, and, most importantly of all, class relations together to create a masterpiece. Renoir himself is fantastic as Octave, but every actor is great, especially the man who plays Marceau and the woman who plays Christine. Truly an achievement of cinema, and one of those movies I'll probably run out and buy as soon as I can.

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 10:44:02 PM »
Seven Up / 7 Plus Seven-I am finally getting around to this series.  It is really fascinating.  I am interested to see how the documentary style changes over the years.  Also, since the kids didn't really choose this for themselves I am interested to see how they will react to it as they get older.  Very interesting.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

love