love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998566 times)

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #6510 on: August 17, 2008, 08:36:47 AM »
Top Gun (1986), Tony Scott
Masterpiece.
A+

so really, what did you think?

I loved it.
A$AP Fables

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #6511 on: August 17, 2008, 08:44:27 AM »
Smart People

Dennis Quaid overacting for a long time. Sarah Jessica Parker is charming as usual (should that be in the Unpopular Opinions thread?). Ellen Page is a republican Juno.

5/10
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #6512 on: August 17, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »
Smart People

Ellen Page is a republican Juno.

hate to break it to you, but Juno was Republican
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #6513 on: August 17, 2008, 10:58:14 AM »
Which you would think someone who watched the film would understand . . . ;)

and yes, i did watch it, and listened to it, too .
  ;)

. yeah, and i was wondering what all this innuendo about "Chinatown" meant, why was there this mythicness to it?  i just didn't get it . i was asking for the insight of others, or just help if it was so obvious and i missed it .

But anyway, "I didn't think there was anything interesting about the film" may be a valid opinion, in the sense that all opinions are valid, but it doesn't leave any room for discussion.  If you can't figure out a way that the movie is interesting for you, how the hell am I supposed to?

a) i never wrote that
b) as close as i came, in my two little write-ups, was "it just didn't do much for me" which i use as a starter to go into the reasons it didn't do much for me .  both my first and second write-up avoid the problem you state while offering "room for discussion", heck, i even asked point blank (in a separate post) "what is it you like about it?", which seems to be an opening for discussion.
c) ironically, your displeasure with non-valid responses and lack of dialogue is seemingly perfected in your responses:

. first, funny yet dismissive:
Where's that eye-rolling emoticon . . .

. second, clever yet dismissive:
Forget it skjerva, it's Chinatown.

. third, accusatory and dismissive:
You didn't actually watch the movie, did you?

. fourth, cute and dismissive:
Which you would think someone who watched the film would understand . . . Wink

. fifth, accusatory and dismissive:
But anyway, "I didn't think there was anything interesting about the film" may be a valid opinion, in the sense that all opinions are valid, but it doesn't leave any room for discussion.  If you can't figure out a way that the movie is interesting for you, how the hell am I supposed to?

This kind of opinion gets expressed a lot, here and elsewhere, and I don't really know why.  I guess it's interesting as an FYI, but it isn't an argument, it isn't anything anyone can reasonably be expected to respond to.

. that is the entirety of your responses, let me know what of that leaves room for discussion, or tells us anything about the movie, much less your opinion of the movie . in my first post i claimed to not get the love for it, which actually opens space for dialogue; i note the performances of nicholson and dunnaway; and, state displeasure with the macguffins, meandering plot, and seeming meaninglessness.  in my second reply i literally ask "what is it you like about it?", again, this seems to open things up for dialogue, no?  my third post was playful and dismissive, i'll grant you that.  my fourth post begins with the same kind of critique you discuss here - ". see, you still can't write anything about the actual film aside from something that supposes everyone should like it just because it is a film everyone is supposed to like" - the vacuousness of response. i basically reiterate the points of my first substantive post, but actually engage the film and multiple times note that i am looking for dialogue.

. very strange you would try to critique me on this point . for several reasons, don't you think?

. that said, i'd rather you respond with your thoughts on the film and why you like it than only nit-picking my response :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

aidanbrack

« Reply #6514 on: August 17, 2008, 11:05:58 AM »
Starsky and Hutch (2004) - 4/5
I enjoyed this a whole lot, much against expectations. A very loving homage and parody of the show.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #6515 on: August 17, 2008, 11:10:51 AM »
There's nothing anyone can say to any one of your responses.  You start your comments, not just here but on several films lately, from a combative position of certainty.  Discussion requires some humility.  Your posts give the impression that you don't care what anyone else thinks.

I too much get the feeling you just enjoy annoying people with your insane opinions and bad typing.  Why should anyone bother to discuss anything with you?

If you want to know why people like Chinatown, do a little research on your own.  The internet's a big place.

The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #6516 on: August 17, 2008, 11:13:32 AM »
I'm no mod (SOMEDAY!!!) but I can say that this thread is getting a little heated. And not in the good BttF vs. Die Hard kind of way. End the argument before it really starts getting bad?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Marbe

• Elite Member
« Reply #6517 on: August 17, 2008, 11:23:08 AM »
No Reservations **

The was some bad dialogue.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #6518 on: August 17, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »
There's nothing anyone can say to any one of your responses.  You start your comments, not just here but on several films lately, from a combative position of certainty.  Discussion requires some humility.  Your posts give the impression that you don't care what anyone else thinks.

I too much get the feeling you just enjoy annoying people with your insane opinions and bad typing.  Why should anyone bother to discuss anything with you?

If you want to know why people like Chinatown, do a little research on your own.  The internet's a big place.

. you really can't think of a response to "what is it you like about it?" 

. i guess i'd like examples of my starting from "combative [positions] of certainty", i think i am very open to having my opinion changed on films and often literally invite folks to explain their thoughts, i actually value having my opinion changed . i am a bit offended that you would claim that i don't care what others think, it would seem my posts and board activities would pretty clearly indicate that i am interested in building community and the sharing of thoughts, ideas, beliefs

. and yes, i enjoy difference, how boring would it be if we all thumbs-upped every film in unison . that said, i hardly go out of my way to incite, and what i share with y'all are my thoughts and beliefs on not only film, but why i think film is valuable, how it relates to the world - unfortunately, not a lot of people here do that .

. and i am really having trouble coming to terms with your stated desire moments ago to have dialogue . when i show that i had been literally asking for dialogue, you tell me to go elsewhere for it - seriously? SERIOUSLY? on top of that, i once again, asked for you to engage the film, and once again you found it unnecessary to do so, instead telling me - who wants to do what you said should be done - to go somewhere else . seriously?  wow

I'm no mod (SOMEDAY!!!) but I can say that this thread is getting a little heated. And not in the good BttF vs. Die Hard kind of way. End the argument before it really starts getting bad?

fh, sean and i have one of these exchanges every few months.  they are tense and unplesant, but they come from a place of love :)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #6519 on: August 17, 2008, 11:34:07 AM »
I was just putting my foot in before it possibly did start getting out of hand. These kinds of exchanges can remain civil, but on the internet it is all too easy to go a deal too far. Just don't want to see that happen here.

I also think I really need to see Chinatown now.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad