love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998062 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #7290 on: September 28, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Simple Men

This is quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen.  My roommates and I actually turned it off about 20 minutes in, but decided to stick it out and see what all the fuss was about.  The dialogue is some of the worst I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.  It was like extremely bad theater with characters spouting quasi-philosophical sound bites ad nauseum.  Bad dialogue can be saved by good acting, but again the film fails terribly with deliberately distanced, wooden performances.

Having recently re-watched Band of Outsiders I was offended by Hartley's heavy handed lifting of the classic dance scene.

I hate using the word pretentious, because I doubt anyone sets out to make a film they don't think is special, but this is the most pretentious piece of utter garbage I've ever watched.

If it was in my power to ensure that Hartley could never make another film.  I would exercise that power.

0/10

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #7291 on: September 28, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »
Simple Men

This is quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen.  My roommates and I actually turned it off about 20 minutes in, but decided to stick it out and see what all the fuss was about.  The dialogue is some of the worst I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.  It was like extremely bad theater with characters spouting quasi-philosophical sound bites ad nauseum.  Bad dialogue can be saved by good acting, but again the film fails terribly with deliberately distanced, wooden performances.

Having recently re-watched Band of Outsiders I was offended by Hartley's heavy handed lifting of the classic dance scene.

I hate using the word pretentious, because I doubt anyone sets out to make a film they don't think is special, but this is the most pretentious piece of utter garbage I've ever watched.

If it was in my power to ensure that Hartley could never make another film.  I would exercise that power.

0/10

Didn't someone who just joined the board say this was the movie that got them in to movies?
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #7292 on: September 28, 2008, 11:35:13 PM »

Casa de Lava (Pedro Costa, 1994)

A ridiculously oblique work. Costa's landscape cinematography is excellent (many shots are just amazing). This isn't just because he's shooting in Cape Verde, a place that just suggests violence and death as it does beauty (it's overwhelming), but because of his almost innate sense of composition. It's that good. Apparently, the film's a remake of a Jacques Tourneur's I Walked With A Zombie (which I haven't seen). Maybe I should see it because right now I'm thinking that this film takes almost perverse delight in being oblique and omitting story elements. Seriously, I was wondering what the hell was going on for the majority of this movie. Regardless, the overwhelming beauty found here is enough to make me say that I enjoyed it. I just wish I understood it more.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:19:24 AM by roujin »

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #7293 on: September 29, 2008, 01:22:19 AM »
Simple Men

0/10

Didn't someone who just joined the board say this was the movie that got them in to movies?

That would be incredible.  Worst.  Movie.  Ever.

arcnyc

« Reply #7294 on: September 29, 2008, 06:53:06 AM »
Simple Men

0/10

That would be incredible.  Worst.  Movie.  Ever.

You've never seen a Hartley film before, have you?  If you're having that kind of reaction to this, don't bother with his other work.  And you're quite a lucky individual if a Hal Hartley film is the worst film you've ever seen.

As for my weekend...

The Godfather - It's weird with me.  I haven't seen it in years and I always seem to forget how incredible it is until I watch it again.  I truly envy anyone who saw this film in its initial release, before quoting it became cliche, before major scenes were freely spoiled, before Brando impressions were reduced to sticking out your jaw and talking in a raspy voice.  It really is one of the greatest American films of all time.  But it's not flawless.  Talia Shire is pretty bad.  Parts II and III, she's great.  In this one, she's often painful but she doesn't get in the way of the brilliance of the film.

5/5
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:09:50 AM by arcnyc »

Stocka

• Twitter
« Reply #7295 on: September 29, 2008, 07:55:48 AM »
Happy Feet - Weak.
5/10
Titanic - Epic.
8/10
Requiem For A Dream - Exhausting.
8/10
Top 5 Films Ever:
#1 The Good The Bad And The Ugly
#2 Seven Samurai
#3 City of God
#4 Blade Runner
#5 There Will Be Blood
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jamesstock
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=29981227

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #7296 on: September 29, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »
You've never seen a Hartley film before, have you?  If you're having that kind of reaction to this, don't bother with his other work.  And you're quite a lucky individual if a Hal Hartley film is the worst film you've ever seen.

I've seen Hollow Man, Ghost Ship and Batman & Robin.  This was worse.

KinoBuff

« Reply #7297 on: September 29, 2008, 12:17:53 PM »
Thank You for Smoking - 5/10 Not half as witty as it thinks of itself. Didn't care for the story (which is all over the place), the characters, the "message", and couldn't wait for it to finish. Some fairly funny bits, but it's just not good enough, is it?

The Duchess - 6/10 Was ok. Not Keira's worst performance. The film has a very neat and clean vibe, including Knightley's performance, which means that the tragedy it tries to convey just does not have the impact it ought to. When the much-struggled duchess at the end of the film looks just as youthful and fresh as she did at the beginning, you know what kind of film you're dealing with. Even Fiennes is completely forgettable.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:25:53 PM by KinoBuff »

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #7298 on: September 29, 2008, 12:56:43 PM »

I've seen Hollow Man, Ghost Ship and Batman & Robin.  This was worse.

Its still better than The Player  ;D

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #7299 on: September 29, 2008, 02:13:15 PM »
Sex and the City (Does it really matter who directed this film?, 2008)

Not half as bad as I expected it to be, though it really overstays it's welcome and like the series it suffers from two major flaws: 1) the main character is the least interesting and the most annoying, 2) that voiceover narration makes me want to kill her, slowly and painfully.

Otherwise, I laughed quite a few times, and my wife enjoyed it immensely.

Can someone please explain why it is was necessary to have a brief shot of a guy's cock inserted into the film?
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.