Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996137 times)

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #7470 on: October 12, 2008, 11:14:51 PM »
High & Low by Akira Kurosawa-*****/*****

matt the movie watcher made me watch this for this month's dictator club.  It's great.  Notably the performances of Toshiro Mifune and most of all, Tatsuya Nakadai as the lead detective. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

Stocka

• Twitter
« Reply #7471 on: October 13, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »
Ben X

Deeply disturbing. Definitely a film that will leave you shaken and glad that you had watched it. Could be too bleak for some mind, but so very original it deserves more attention.

7/10
Top 5 Films Ever:
#1 The Good The Bad And The Ugly
#2 Seven Samurai
#3 City of God
#4 Blade Runner
#5 There Will Be Blood
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jamesstock
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=29981227

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7472 on: October 13, 2008, 02:18:58 PM »
Yi Yi

At first I liked everything about it, it has a lifelike quality you don't see often. It doesn't build to some spectacular climax, rather it just plods along sometimes going up and sometimes going down, as life does. It does it without being boring (though it could've & should've been shortened; I don't think it would've diminished the effectiveness of it). The characters felt completely real to me, but were often hard for me to relate to... that's not a knock on the movie, but just how it goes. By the end, I was watching for resolution's sake, not because the movie was speaking to me personally.

3/5

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #7473 on: October 13, 2008, 02:32:46 PM »
 :'(

arcnyc

« Reply #7474 on: October 13, 2008, 02:38:21 PM »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7475 on: October 13, 2008, 02:42:56 PM »
Heck, despite my misgivings I might still call it a masterpiece.... or at least understand why it would be called such.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7476 on: October 13, 2008, 02:47:48 PM »
Ben X

Deeply disturbing. Definitely a film that will leave you shaken and glad that you had watched it. Could be too bleak for some mind, but so very original it deserves more attention.

7/10
Glad to see others are checking this out. I had a stronger liking for this film but then again there's a lot of stuff I like about it that I don't expect others to necessarily like.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #7477 on: October 13, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »

L'Atalante (Jean Vigo, 1934)

Hmmm, where to start? I really loved the look of this film and how everything had kinda of this really dreamy haze to it, sort of. However, this masked what I thought was an often unengaging film. I'm not sure I can pinpoint what led to my bouts of boredom but they were there. Most of the time, I just liked spending time on the ship and seeing them work and seeing the lovers play around and just be in love. The performances were pretty good although Michel Simon bordered on the verge of ridiculousness almost too much (although he has a couple of pretty awesome scenes). However, what has to got to be the best moment in the entire film... (and one of the best scenes of all time) is when... well, if you've seen it, then you already know... so I'm glad I got to watch it just for that. It was fine and enjoyable... but not enough of the time.

The Lady from Shanghai (Orson Welles, 1947)

A really, really entertaining noir from Orson Welles. The story is all kinds of ridiculous and nonsensical (sort of) but it does give you lots of opportunities to just stare at Rita Hayworth ( :o) so that's great. The film looks great with lots of unexpected angles and shots used (and one of the greatest endings ever!!!!!!!) so even more points for that. So while the ending's the highlight, I really loved Welles' on and off Irish accent and his self-deprecating narration (which was one of the things that bugged me about Detour; the constant narration but in here it worked fine). This really reminds me that I got to rewatch Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil to see if this is my favorite Welles film. I still haven't seen many, many of his. He is a great man though :)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:12:37 AM by roujin »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7478 on: October 13, 2008, 08:11:53 PM »
Any film that makes you want to go watch Citizen Kane again piques my interest. I rewatched Touch of Evil Friday and I still have a lot of problems with the plot.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #7479 on: October 13, 2008, 09:47:43 PM »
Body of Lies (2008, Ridley Scott)

In this action/spy fest, Leonardo Dicaprio plays an undercover CIA agent on the hunt for an incredibly dangerous terrorist group leader. Along the way he has to take orders from Russel Crowe, who's back in the good old US of A raising his kids (rather inefficiently at that). Needless to say, Dicaprio isn't the biggest fan of this CIA boss and the tension rises as the stakes do.
Much to my happy surprise, Body of Lies moves like clockwork. It has the right balance of tension, spy work and sophisticated action sequences that should keep most peoples interest. This is sort of like those Tom Clancy movies, but better. My opinion is decidedly skewed for I am a fan of spy movies first and foremost. However, as a piece of pure popcorn entertainment, it definitely works. I'm not sure why Crowe is here other than the fact that Ridley Scott is directing (they've collaborated several times in the past) and the ending may be a wee bit predictable, but it's a fun night out at the movies.

3.5/5
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

love