love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997410 times)

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #9800 on: January 11, 2009, 04:52:51 AM »
His Girl Friday
What an amazing piece of fluff. This is classic genre film, designed for pure entertainment, and it does it pretty well. Very well, really. It's not quite up in that upper echelon, but it is very good. Rosalind Russell is very good, and I enjoyed her performance very much. Also, I found it quite interesting that this movie that must have been aimed squarely at women mostly featured a cast of men in what seemed to be very much a men's world. It did pull it off well tho, and mum and I both loved the fast talk, although once or twice I almost couldn't keep up.

Overall, let's say, 4/5

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #9801 on: January 11, 2009, 05:03:31 AM »
It gets better and better.

Also, Cary Grant is in it.  :)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Harlan

• "Keeping My Night Job"
« Reply #9802 on: January 11, 2009, 09:14:30 AM »
Two films on TV:

The Fighting Seabees (1944)

In honor of the rather racist portrayals of our WWII enemies in this John Wayne propaganda piece con romantic drama, I will write my review in (clunky) Japanese. この映画は簡単だって,愛の物語は愚かだったが、楽しかったです。 But I did want to salute the seabees at the end!

Accomplishment: 1.5 stars out of 5. Enjoyableness: 3.5 stars out of 5.

Men In Black (1997)

Still great.

Accomplishment: 4 stars out of 5. Enjoyableness: 4.5 stars out of 5.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9803 on: January 11, 2009, 10:15:51 AM »
I can't speak for everybody, but it had absolutely no affect on my viewing experience. I was caught up in the incredible feat they accomplished, the historical significance of the setting 30 years from then didn't enter into the equation.

I feel the exact same way.

Role Models

the funniest movie i have seen this year. I probably liked this more than i liked knocked up.

I'm not sure if agree with you on the Knocked Up part, but it's definitely the movie that made me laugh the most this year.

I really like knocked up, its just that it didnt make me laugh as much as kissmania!

You two should watch Postal.

As a video game fan, id like to say f- you boll!
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #9804 on: January 11, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
slumdog millionaire
Gran Torino
Citizen McCaw
Taxi to the Dark Side
The Weather Underground
The Prisoner, or: How I Planned to Kill Tony Blair

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - eww, i don't get why people like this, much less think it is one of the year's best.  sure it had some cute moments, but so many scenes play absolutely flat, some seem completely unnecessary, and some there just for a gag don't even work for the gag - just a rotten flow.  the plot is poorly executed even for the formula it follows.  some of the editing is just weird, and i can't imagine it is intentional, just poorly done.  Segel is great in HIMYM, but he he is just too awkward to pull this off; Bell works as a bad tv star, but only because she is also pretty bad(ly drawn) here; Kunis is pretty okay, but her little big role is so empty. i think 30 Rock dude might have had a funny line in there somewhere.  the dracula song at the bar was the best part of the film, should check to see if it has filmspot love for best song.  it sits pretty low in my films o' the year

Burn After Reading - i think most folks are right in not liking this one, i am holding out some hope for it being redeemed, but it did little for me.  looking forward to reading something from Basil about ow this film is so great and misunderstood (not sure he has written on this specifically yet, as i've been avoiding reading anything on it).  not sure of the point of making all the characters so unlikable and bumbling/stupid.  also near the bottom of my films of the year.

Gran Torino - are you fücking kidding?  what an absolutely horrible and fantastic film!  as i was walking out with a friend he said he has never been so conflicted about a film, i was thinking the same thing during the film.  so much bad acting, horrible dialogue, ridiculous situations, but also genuinely good, not even (or only?) in a campy way.

Similar reaction, well said.

I cannot rate this film. I still like Eastwood, but I'll never watch this again nor recommend it to anybody. The bad acting and dialogue is inexcusable. I mean wtf  ??? I might've loved it otherwise.

can't even recommend for the sheer WTF factor?  i do think the film is somehow good, but it is a mindbomb that the acting and script/plot can be so hideous

Does this film get the same acclaim had it been released pre-9/11?

Umm, yes. It could've been any other two skyscrapers and it wouldn't have changed a thing. That has nothing to do with the story.

on matt's question, i wonder that, too, but think it might not be quite as praised.  for me one of the most compelling aspects of the film is Phillipe's forbidden uses of (quasi-public) space - twin towers aside - the policing of space is a key post-9/11 issue, i just don't think the film would resonate the same pre-9/11. 

Wendy and Lucy -
A- or 4.32345321593

glad you loved it :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #9805 on: January 11, 2009, 11:34:51 AM »
As a video game fan, id like to say f- you boll!

He says basically the same thing to himself in the movie.

Gran Torino - I was watching this film and I couldn't help but think about the guy who said that he doesn't get Clint Eastwood. I wasn't around for the Clint glory days either, and Gran Torino certainly hasn't convinced me that he's an incredible actor, but I will say that a few parts of the film were made bearable by Eastwood's performance, which overall I found to be adequate, impressive that he could sustain such a bad film, but not really incredibly versatile or anything mind blowing. The film was riddled with cliches that had me chuckling from time to time, seriously how deep is it that at the beginning his house is filled with grief over death and the place next door is celebrating a birth? Pretty intense stuff. Replace the script, the director, and put more than one competent actor alongside Eastwood and perhaps the film would be better, but I was hardly floored by the one liners that Clint growled out, occasionally in an inaudible manner. I'd also like to state that the film made me feel a bit uncomfortable. All of the racial slurs hurled around by Walt are fine, it adds to his character so that we can really understand the transformation that is obviously going to happen, but when the audience is laughing at nearly every line, whether in a humorous context or not, I can't help but be a little unnerved by the idea that either we are supposed to find old people funny, racist people funny, feel that we are better than said people and should laugh at them, or are supposed to relate to Walt because of his racism. Maybe as a people we like our tolerance lessons about as easy to swallow as childrens's Tylenol. I get the human condition thing, and there is some decent racial commentary here at times, but the rest is just so overt and muddled that it really does not work at all. And then if I were to look at the film in a more analytic sense I suppose I'd be able to write a good deal about the overt sexism that goes on in the film, but I'll let that be for now. Finally, I'm not sure how realistic the film is supposed to be, certainly the gritty parts are played up realistically and all the characters are supposed to be believable in a real world setting, but each line of dialogue that Clint spoke felt so fake, it was simply there so he could look like a 'bad ass,' that it really undercut the rest of the film. He needed to show much more restraint. Also there is one more thing, in no world was that credit sequence a good idea.

C- or 2.2378594305723

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #9806 on: January 11, 2009, 12:49:06 PM »
Lawrence Of Arabia (1962) ***
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/01/11/review-lawrence-of-arabia-1962/

Yes, it looked beautiful and has some truly tremendous performances. But, just like most other epics, Lawrence Of Arabia was just as bloated as it was beautiful. I think my biggest problem with this film was that it didn't really say anything, it tried to touch on a lot of different issues without ever actually going in-depth or saying anything about those issues. People need to see it for the cinematography and the acting, but it isn't an all-time classic as it is usually billed.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #9807 on: January 11, 2009, 01:01:01 PM »
Lawrence Of Arabia (1962) ***
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/01/11/review-lawrence-of-arabia-1962/

Yes, it looked beautiful and has some truly tremendous performances. But, just like most other epics, Lawrence Of Arabia was just as bloated as it was beautiful. I think my biggest problem with this film was that it didn't really say anything, it tried to touch on a lot of different issues without ever actually going in-depth or saying anything about those issues. People need to see it for the cinematography and the acting, but it isn't an all-time classic as it is usually billed.

Does a film really need to "say" anything? It's a terrific story, in my opinion. It also has some interesting subtext.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #9808 on: January 11, 2009, 01:29:06 PM »
Rachel Getting Married (Jonathan Demme, 2008)
I lost interest when Kim wasn't the center of attention, and while the film's documentary realist style usually complements the events on screen, it occasionally causes Demme to emphasize the form over the content, a distracting inconsistency.
B
A$AP Fables

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #9809 on: January 11, 2009, 01:38:08 PM »
Rachel Getting Married (Jonathan Demme, 2008)
I lost interest when Kim wasn't the center of attention, and while the film's documentary realist style usually complements the events on screen, it occasionally causes Demme to emphasize the form over the content, a distracting inconsistency.
B

Agree to disagree I imagine.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/