love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997782 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #10740 on: February 01, 2009, 11:32:46 AM »
RocknRolla
My god this was boring.  Wasn't hoping for much, just some whiz-bang editing, catchy music and ludicrous action.  Unfortunately, the story plods along in amber-hued drudgery and cliche.  Incredibly dull and dimwitted.

Also, re-watched The Fall and liked it even more the second time around.  The cinematography and art direction alone are worth watching, but I found the interaction between Catinca Untaru and Lee Pace incredibly touching.  I nominated her for the Filmspots and had I watched this last week, probably would have included him as well.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:35:27 AM by philip918 »

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #10741 on: February 01, 2009, 04:17:47 PM »
Enchanted 3/5 Nice mix of animation and live action, Amy Adams is beautiful, funny, touching good family movie

Kung Fu Panda 4/5 Really nice animation. Dreamworks finally gets it right. Now they just need to get rid of the big-name stars doing the voice acting and take Pixars queue and get character actors.

Let the Right One In 4.5/5 Creepy, funny, nice effects, good acting from the kids.
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #10742 on: February 01, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »
RocknRolla
My god this was boring.  Wasn't hoping for much, just some whiz-bang editing, catchy music and ludicrous action.  Unfortunately, the story plods along in amber-hued drudgery and cliche.  Incredibly dull and dimwitted.

>:(
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #10743 on: February 01, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »
Gran Torino.

Clint Eastwood is the man. Even if he is the same thing he always is, heck, even if he is an imitation of the people imitating him, he will be badass enough to make even the most mediocre movie (which this is) entertaining.

B-.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #10744 on: February 01, 2009, 05:14:03 PM »
Slumdog Millionaire

Saw it out of desperation to see all 5 Best Picture noms (it's an arbitrary goal, but a valid one, I think). It had to be pretty damn good to live up to all the hype. The interwoven story lines, fast pace, and outstanding soundtrack were all they were cracked up to be. I also adored the final dance sequence over the credits. I'm not sure it added up to the supergreatbestmovieever that the critics seem to think it is, but I will no longer be disappointed when it inevitably wins many and multiple Oscars.

B+

Revolutionary Road

Now this is my kind of movie. Melancholy and melodrama all over the place. Michael Shannon stole the show, but I still had a lot of fun watching Jack, Rose and The Unsinkable Molly Brown chew scenery. It isn't better than American Beauty, but only becaue Alan Ball didn't write it.

P.S. During "the scene" I was giggling to myself when I remembered that Ballgame had this on his "worst date movie" list. So true.

A-
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

thatguy_sam

« Reply #10745 on: February 01, 2009, 05:18:49 PM »
Revolutionary Road

Now this is my kind of movie. Melancholy and melodrama all over the place. Michael Shannon stole the show, but I still had a lot of fun watching Jack, Rose and The Unsinkable Molly Brown chew scenery. It isn't better than American Beauty, but only becaue Alan Ball didn't write it.

P.S. During "the scene" I was giggling to myself when I remembered that Ballgame had this on his "worst date movie" list. So true.

A-

i agree with you, the actors in this movie were outstanding, for the most part. I particularly love Michael Shannons role in the film.
I did make the mistake of seing this with my girlfriend though, and she didnt like the film at all.
"How'd you like that one, tough guy? How fricking awesome was that, huh? " - Chev Chelios - Crank

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #10746 on: February 01, 2009, 06:11:14 PM »
Also, not to sound like a culturalist... but Germans are well known for their overt lack of good humor.
Yeah, you should work on that.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #10747 on: February 01, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »
You so funny, beverage.

Harlan

• "Keeping My Night Job"
« Reply #10748 on: February 01, 2009, 06:34:54 PM »
Slumdog Millionaire

Eh. Nice cinematography, cool credits, but that's about it.

Accomplishment: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars. Enjoyableness: 2 1/4 out of 5 stars.

thatguy_sam

« Reply #10749 on: February 01, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »
Slumdog Millionaire

Eh. Nice cinematography, cool credits, but that's about it.

Accomplishment: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars. Enjoyableness: 2 1/4 out of 5 stars.

Im guessing your ratings are low because it didnt live up to the hype? am i right?

I hate it when a movie gets to hyped, because you always end up feeling disappointed when you see it.
"How'd you like that one, tough guy? How fricking awesome was that, huh? " - Chev Chelios - Crank