love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996886 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #10940 on: February 05, 2009, 07:22:27 PM »
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

***1/2/****

I started a thread in overlooked films about this one because I love it so much. I hadn't seen this is several years and its still holds up. It focuses on the secondary characters in Hamlet as they head to meet the King of Denmark. It is a hilarious comedy with many great jokes. Especially if you are into Shakespeare.  Tim Roth and Gary Oldman are great in this, as is Richard Dryfuss.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #10941 on: February 05, 2009, 07:36:29 PM »
Seventh Seal-Bergman

I absolutely adore this film. It is a movie I try to watch at least once a month. I don't know what it is about it that I love so much but it feels perfect to me. I am a huge Bergman fan (#2 behind Kurosawa). Thats it!

10/10
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #10942 on: February 05, 2009, 07:39:13 PM »
Seventh Seal-Bergman

I absolutely adore this film. It is a movie I try to watch at least once a month. I don't know what it is about it that I love so much but it feels perfect to me. I am a huge Bergman fan (#2 behind Kurosawa). Thats it!

10/10

I like reading other peoples thoughts on his films. Could you elaborate a little bit?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #10943 on: February 05, 2009, 09:31:28 PM »
Sharkwater

Nice enough documentary about the illegal shark fishing that is destroying shark populations worldwide. It's an interesting subject matter and the doc crew gets into some interesting situations, but in the end they just make the same point over and over. Still, worth watching.

6.5/10
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #10944 on: February 05, 2009, 10:08:39 PM »
slumdog millionaire
Gran Torino
Citizen McCaw
Taxi to the Dark Side
The Weather Underground
The Prisoner, or: How I Planned to Kill Tony Blair
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Burn After Reading
American Teen
Flow: For Love of Water
Our Daily Bread
Tropic Thunder
Hearts & Minds
AntiTRUST
Redbelt
Fuses
My Own Private Idaho
When We Were Kings
Far From Poland
11/19

i'm gonna jump on worm's thread soon, so much better than this :)

In the Shadow of the Moon - more thoughts soon on the MDC thread.  similar to When We Were Kings - great material, uninspired presentation
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #10945 on: February 05, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »
The Escapist (2008)

***/****

This is a very interesting take on the prison break movie. It is stripped down, bare, yet highly stylized in parts. Its beautiful to look at, with some of the most interesting set design and cinematography in recent memory . Its suspenseful. Its cool. There is some great acting, especially Brian Cox as the titular character. I highly recommend checking this out.

P.S. It has several Leonard Cohen songs, so really do you need to know anything more?

P.P.S. If someone takes this opportunity to take a shot at Leonard Cohen I will be forced to kill you. I don't me "kill you" in that metaphorical sense. I mean literally kill you. Dead. Deceased. Decomposing. :D  (smiley faces aside, I am not kidding)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #10946 on: February 05, 2009, 11:49:27 PM »
Stander

I don't know that I've ever heard this one mentioned on the boards. I really liked it! Based on a true story about a band of bank robbers in South Africa. It's got a really slick style, a perfect fit for the story. Lots of good performances. Good music. Different.

If the premise sounds even remotely interesting, I'd say take a shot and check this one out cause it's really well done.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:27:24 PM by smirnoff »

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #10947 on: February 06, 2009, 06:55:45 AM »
Stander

I don't know that I've ever heard this one mentioned on the boards. I really liked it! Based on a true story about a band of bank robbers in South Africa. It's got a really slick style, a perfect fit for the story. Lots of good performances. Good music. Different.

If the premise sounds even remotely interesting, I'd say take a shot and check this one out cause it's really well done.

I've wanted to see that for a while now. By the way, I like that new layout for the reviews.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #10948 on: February 06, 2009, 07:02:54 AM »
I've wanted to see that for a while now. By the way, I like that new layout for the reviews.
I was the same way. I think I originally saw it on a list of "top 10 dvd's you won't see on any other top 10 list" over at DVDtalk, and that was 5 or 6 years ago heh. It's funny how one way or another you do end up seeing things you make note of. And thx ;)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #10949 on: February 06, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »
Per Un Pugno Di Dollari (1964) ***
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/06/review-per-un-pugno-di-dollari-1964/

Dollari is good, but it's essentially the beginning of Leone forming his directing style, same holds true for Morricone and his score. There's a rawness to this film, and Eastwood is his usual awesomely stoic bad ass, but mostly Dollari takes the Western and re-envisions what it could be, a world of utter darkness.

Per Qualche Dollaro In Più (1965) ***1/2
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/02/06/review-per-qualche-dollaro-in-piu-1965/

While not as great as Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo this is probably a more important film because this is when Leone really hammered out his style and fixed any of the kinks his earlier efforts suffered from. Eastwood and Van Cleef are awesome, Morricone's score is tremendous and the showdown at the end is the stuff of legend.