love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996068 times)

worm@work

• Godfather
Re: Rate the last movie you watched
« Reply #10960 on: February 06, 2009, 02:22:35 PM »
This almost makes me want to read Dostoyevsky!

Do it.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #10961 on: February 06, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »
This almost makes me want to read Dostoyevsky!

Do it.

The Idiot is my favorite novel of all time.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #10962 on: February 06, 2009, 03:54:04 PM »
Rachel Getting Married
Verdict: A heart-warming, sweet little movie that will leave a smile on your face for days.
4.5/5
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #10963 on: February 06, 2009, 04:12:37 PM »
Coraline 3-D (note how there are no parenthesis because I did see this one in 3-D) - Very few films could drive up my anticipation going into a theatre like Coraline has over the past month or so. Not only do the commercials tout it's affiliation with The Nightmare Before Christmas, but the trailers seemed to indicate that Selick kept a similar style when crafting this film, and coming away I can say that both advertisements are fairly accurate. I can likely say this film is no Nightmare Before Christmas, but I'd be damned if this is not the best animated childrens's film released to a wide audience in quite some time, even upping Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, anything that Pixar has released since Toy Story, and, sad to say, Bolt. Though stepping out of this theatre had me wishing I was able to see Bolt, what was sure to be great in 3-D, just not as great as this, and that Miley Cyrus film in 3-D as well. But enough with this introduction, I'll get on to the review.

We start off well enough, the audience is introduced to Coraline as she moves into her new house, and we meet some of the supporting cast, though for all intents and purposes none of them are developed enough for me to go into detail about. In fact, one of the film's biggest flaws is its inability to fully establish dynamic characters, even Coraline herself. Thankfully the cast is interesting enough to not need an incredible amount of depth, but I do think this is likely the biggest thing holding a great film back from becoming a spectacular film. Anyhow, the first few minutes are silent, likely taking a page out of Wall*E's book, but the music used in the opening sequence, and really throughout the film, begins to set a dreamlike quality in the audience's mind that does establish the tone for what is to come, not to mention that Selick's camera work during this intro is absolutely incredible. Sadly, the first act is a little weak, a few high points are thrown about and the humor does hit most of the time, but at times I felt as distanced from these characters as Coraline did, and I do think the director generally needs to establish his characters early on for the emotional scenes to fully work later.

Thankfully, the second and third acts are a blast, they are beautiful to look at, the art style is incredible, and the story is engaging, gripping, and delightfully dark. In fact, there are a few scenes in the film that seemingly pay homage to Pan's Labyrinth, and some of Coraline's experiences do seem to fit well with what Del Toro hit in his film. Anyhow, once the film picks up steam it does not stop, and it is one Hell of a ride. I'm not sure how crazy I am about Dakota Fanning's voice work, it never bothered me and Coraline had a unique voice, but I think casting for the lead role could have been handled a little better, but I may just be bothered by how the voice just felt off, since nothing in her performance really seemed flawed. The supporting characters are all voiced perfectly as well, so that is great. So I guess that leaves me with the elephant in the room, the 3-D effects and their role in watching the film. I have not seen the 2-D version, but the 3-D is absolutely breath taking. You watch this world come to life and it is beautiful, some of the most stunning animation put to screen and it blends with the stop motion perfectly. The anime style Japan is famous for has been used great, CGI is generally incredible (seen recently in Bolt), but Selick seemingly proves why stop motion animation is the best way to present an animated film, especially with the 3-D effects quickly becoming a staple of these larger animated films. The line between reality and the surreal is blended so perfectly and beautifully, and so much detail can be achieved without sacrificing realism, that the whole experience seemingly transcends most animated cinema. I do not know if the film itself would be as great in 2-D, the strengths do stand on their own I believe, but factoring in the 3-D effects I think Coraline is an experience that should not be missed and should be remembered as the first great 3-D film coming out of this Renaissance. It's no Nightmare, but it does not have to be either, Coraline is one Hell of a film. Oh, and the film should work just as well for adults as it does for children.

Also, the best use of 3-D is probably found right after the credits finish rolling, which I assume happens because we are now almost completely out of the movie's world and the creators did not have to worry about people watching in 2-D missing anything.

A-/A or 4.632984321895342

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #10964 on: February 06, 2009, 04:21:54 PM »
I should also state, I likely have to go see this Jonas Brothers movie now to see what they do with 3-D (whoops, for them it's just 3D) to see if I was just swept up with the style or if it was really used that well, though I am leaning toward the latter.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #10965 on: February 06, 2009, 04:23:19 PM »
Glad you liked it so much, I'm gonna check out a matinee tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited.  The Fanning/Hatcher voice-work is my only reservation going in, Fanning did My Neighbor Totoro (the Disney dub that I saw, it was still great) and was pretty bad in that.

I'm sure JoBro3D will just be a lot of guitar thrusts in your face, but you seem to enjoy that...

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #10966 on: February 06, 2009, 04:23:24 PM »
sounds great.

Well, not the Jonas brothers thing.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #10967 on: February 06, 2009, 04:27:06 PM »
Glad you liked it so much, I'm gonna check out a matinee tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited.  The Fanning/Hatcher voice-work is my only reservation going in, Fanning did My Neighbor Totoro (the Disney dub that I saw, it was still great) and was pretty bad in that.

I'm sure JoBro3D will just be a lot of guitar thrusts in your face, but you seem to enjoy that...

I actually didn't know she did Totoro until I went and checked imdb just a few minutes after posting, and I don't really recall disliking her in there, though that was a great film too, probably my second favorite Miyazaki. Either way, I hope you enjoy it tomorrow.

In the Miley Cyrus one, when they left the stage I think, they tossed a pick at the ground and it hopped out at the audience. My biggest reservation is the supporting acts, Taylor Swift and Demi Lavato are no Miley/Hannah.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #10968 on: February 06, 2009, 05:14:52 PM »
Rachel Getting Married
Verdict: A heart-warming, sweet little movie that will leave a smile on your face for days.
4.5/5

I don't know if I would call this necessarily heat-warming or sweet. There are some heart-warming parts and sweet parts but I found it to be a very difficult movie to watch. One that I planning on seeing again in theaters (I thoroughly enjoyed it). 
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #10969 on: February 06, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »
Coraline 3-D

I can likely say this film is no Nightmare Before Christmas, but I'd be damned if this is not the best animated childrens's film released to a wide audience in quite some time, even upping Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, anything that Pixar has released since Toy Story, and, sad to say, Bolt. Though stepping out of this theatre had me wishing I was able to see Bolt, what was sure to be great in 3-D, just not as great as this, and that Miley Cyrus film in 3-D as well.

Anyhow, the first few minutes are silent, likely taking a page out of Wall*E's book, but the music used in the opening sequence, and really throughout the film, begins to set a dreamlike quality in the audience's mind that does establish the tone for what is to come, not to mention that Selick's camera work during this intro is absolutely incredible.

Hmmm. I mostly agree with your review, but I'm pretty sure this film is at the very least not better than ALL of Pixar's films since Toy Story.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

love