love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996479 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #13730 on: April 25, 2009, 01:37:15 PM »
Actually, they are both purely escapist cinema. The difference is that one rides on a high horse and the other just exists to entertain without masquerading as something more.

heh, its the people who watched it that put Slumdog on its horse - the film doesn't ever take itself all that seriously. separate the art from the reaction.

You're right. I'll stick to my assertion that it's practically the same as Hannah Montana, except not as well paced or engaging.

Hannah Montana has horrible pacing. The film is basically over by the 30 minute mark and yet it just drags and drags.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #13731 on: April 25, 2009, 01:49:27 PM »
Not once did I notice that nearly 2 hours had gone by and none of the scenes were ever slow nor did plot ever take a back seat. I'll address this later in my reflection, but I do recall looking at my watch a few times during Slumdog, something I never had a desire to do during this film.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #13732 on: April 25, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »
Not once did I notice that nearly 2 hours had gone by and none of the scenes were ever slow nor did plot ever take a back seat. I'll address this later in my reflection, but I do recall looking at my watch a few times during Slumdog, something I never had a desire to do during this film.

This is madness!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #13733 on: April 25, 2009, 02:17:23 PM »
They also previewed some live action 3-D film with Will Arnett and some CGI animals doing spy work. It was shown two previews before Up, the trailer for that live action one has me more excited to watch that one in 3-D than I am to watch Up. The dog in Up looked great, probably even better looking than Bolt, but then they gave him a hugely exaggerated nose for no reason, which pissed me off. Also, the humans already look like crap. I'll be there opening weekend!

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #13734 on: April 25, 2009, 02:27:27 PM »

This is madness!

I guess when you want something done you have to do it yourself:

THIS

IS

SPARTA!

They also previewed some live action 3-D film with Will Arnett and some CGI animals doing spy work. It was shown two previews before Up, the trailer for that live action one has me more excited to watch that one in 3-D than I am to watch Up. The dog in Up looked great, probably even better looking than Bolt, but then they gave him a hugely exaggerated nose for no reason, which pissed me off. Also, the humans already look like crap. I'll be there opening weekend!

I can't understand anything you just said.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #13735 on: April 25, 2009, 02:29:23 PM »
I didn't want to stoop to a 300 reference, Meet the Spartans beat me to it, plus I wouldn't have been able to fully respect myself for taking the obvious route with that set-up.

Though I did consider writing in response, "Madness? This. Is. Tennessee!"

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #13736 on: April 25, 2009, 04:36:30 PM »
Still Walking (Horikazu Koreeda, 2008)

The minute the film started with the scene of a mother and daughter chatting and cooking together in the kitchen, I found myself perceptibly leaning back in my seat, feeling this wave of assurace and comfort putting myself in the hands of this director for the next couple of hours. Something about the effortlessness of that scene, the way the banter is both familiar at one level and yet unfamiliar in the specifics, just made me smile and thankfully the rest of the movie really maintained the tone that this scene sets up.

The film is inevitably reminiscent of Tokyo Story and yet it feels modern and current. It's set entirely during the course of a single day and is pretty much just a portrait of a family. But rarely do family portraits feel this nuanced and honest. It's completely vivid and moving featuring both the joy of being a kid and just hanging out with cousins, breaking open a watermelon and so on and the inevitable sadness of life never quite turning out the way one hopes it will.

It's simultaneously very specific in the way it feels completely Japanese (right down to the way even family-members so carefully observe polite behavior around each other) and yet is perfectly universal as evidenced by the way every audience member seemed to respond to it.

The best part of this film is the way the filmmaker is able to show us the flaws in these characters (including the parents) and thereby make them seem perfectly human. It helps that every single actor in the film is good, right down to the kids. But even within such a great cast, Kirin Kiki really stands out as the matriarch. She has moments where she is being both polite and generous and really cruel at the same time and I felt an actual chill watching her do this.

Most of the film is shot in these really pretty static shots (Japanese houses are so beautiful!!) and I thought they suited the simplicity of the film perfectly. It's a film filled with beautiful moments that I'm sure will stick with me for a while. Like real life, it was this really wonderful mixture of sweet and bitter and slightly sad.

Easily the best 2009 film I've watched so far.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #13737 on: April 25, 2009, 04:43:07 PM »

Un Chien Andalou (Luis Buñuel, 1929)

Meh.

Does very little for me, unfortunately. I thought I would get a kick out of some pretty cool images untethered to anything but that didn't happen for me unfortunately. Mostly, I was just bored. SARI EVERYONE OMG

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:19:22 PM by roujin »

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #13738 on: April 25, 2009, 04:49:07 PM »

Un Chien Andalou (Luis Buñuel, 1929)

Meh.

ha ha ha ho

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #13739 on: April 25, 2009, 05:41:07 PM »
Still Walking (Horikazu Koreeda, 2008)

Easily the best 2009 film I've watched so far.

Well, I can't ignore that movie now can I?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

love