Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996977 times)

worm@work

• Godfather
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #13740 on: April 25, 2009, 05:47:50 PM »
Still Walking (Horikazu Koreeda, 2008)

Easily the best 2009 film I've watched so far.

Well, I can't ignore that movie now can I?

It's awesome :). Plus, it has some of the best food scenes I've seen in a long time. I <3 corn tempura!!

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #13741 on: April 25, 2009, 08:51:34 PM »
Crude - (2009, Joe Berlinger) - nice david v goliath tale of Ecuadorian team taking on Texaco's (now Chevron) environmental disaster left behind in amazon.  from the director that brought you Metallica: Monster in a Box (and Paradise Lost and Brother's Keeper), you'd expect this anti-oil doc to be less complainty and more narrative/character driven, but i don't think it worked as well as he hoped it would.  it is definitely a good doc and story, just could have been a bit tighter, and really is more typical than expected - not that i hold this against it, i just think other might - which is too bad because it would be nice for this story to get more play but i reckon it will have pretty limited appeal.

Agreed.
Grade: B+

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #13742 on: April 25, 2009, 08:55:48 PM »
Crude - (2009, Joe Berlinger) - nice david v goliath tale of Ecuadorian team taking on Texaco's (now Chevron) environmental disaster left behind in amazon.  from the director that brought you Metallica: Monster in a Box (and Paradise Lost and Brother's Keeper), you'd expect this anti-oil doc to be less complainty and more narrative/character driven, but i don't think it worked as well as he hoped it would.  it is definitely a good doc and story, just could have been a bit tighter, and really is more typical than expected - not that i hold this against it, i just think other might - which is too bad because it would be nice for this story to get more play but i reckon it will have pretty limited appeal.

Agreed.

pixote

This played around here today but at the same time as Still Walking which I really wanted to watch :-\. Hopefully it'll play here again outside of the film festival.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #13743 on: April 25, 2009, 08:56:59 PM »
Still Walking

Have you already seen After Life and Nobody Knows?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #13744 on: April 25, 2009, 09:01:47 PM »
Still Walking

Have you already seen After Life and Nobody Knows?

pixote

Only Nobody Knows. And I like Still Walking more that that one.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #13745 on: April 25, 2009, 09:59:09 PM »

The Devil's Backbone (Guillermo Del Toro, 2001)

I enjoyed this quite a bit. The story is a little predictable, but the execution is what really matters here and it's excellent. It is a nice companion piece to Pan's Labyrinth, and like Pan's, the supernatural / fantasy elements aren't really necessary, the story is really strong without them, but they add layers to the movie and give it a strong identity. I also really loved the visual cues of the ghosts (the underwater look, and the flies later). I wouldn't really recommend this as a great ghost story, but as a great story with ghosts.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #13746 on: April 25, 2009, 10:03:56 PM »
Hannah Montana The Movie - Like Slumdog Millionaire except good. After my papers and stuff I'll write more in depth things all up in the spoilerific thread.

Don't ask, and you shall receive, the review is up.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #13747 on: April 26, 2009, 12:14:02 AM »
Dawn of the Dead (2004)

It was on TV the other day and I caught the first scene. CINECAST!ing scary! I don't think I can watch the rest of it. It seems Zack Snyder isn't a total hack. 
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #13748 on: April 26, 2009, 12:31:54 AM »
Hannah Montana The Movie - Like Slumdog Millionaire except good. After my papers and stuff I'll write more in depth things all up in the spoilerific thread.

Don't ask, and you shall receive, the review is up.

"The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #13749 on: April 26, 2009, 03:16:44 AM »
Heaven's Gate  (Michael Cimino, 1980)
Almost as good as Kevin's Gate!

pixote

love