love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996558 times)

tjwells

• Elite Member
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #14440 on: May 20, 2009, 03:51:39 PM »
Metropolitan (Whit Stillman, 1990) - **** 1/2 out of *****

Chris Eigeman, will you be my best friend?

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #14441 on: May 20, 2009, 06:27:23 PM »

Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977)

nothing else matters
when I turn it up loud

I don't care very much about what this movie's actually about. I got the vibe of industrial decay feeding into fears of parenthood or whatever. That's not why I like this movie. I like how this movie looks and how this movie sounds. Let's start with the sound. It's overwhelming. My favorite part of the movie may be those first 15 or so minutes when it's just crazy sonic shit going on. I turned up the speaker and I let all that wash over me. The images are good, too. Lots of things just poking out/emerging from the darkness. It's sharp as hell and effortlessly creepy and intense. I could've done with less talking and more awesomeness but that's just me. I'm surprised so many people like this movie though. It is just cuz of all the weird shit? That's the least interesting part...

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:45:55 PM by roujin »

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #14442 on: May 20, 2009, 06:43:36 PM »
Mon Oncle Antoine by Claude Jutra-****1/2/*****

This was a beautiful film.  The coming-of-age story of a 14-year old boy in the span of an entire day on Christmas Eve as he discovers loves, naked boobies, harsh realities, and his own family as he lives with his uncle Antoine.  A man who is very generous with the town and the people around him and such.  It's definitely a film with amazing cinematography and some very folky music as the score.  It's not perfect because there were times the pacing lagged in some spots early on but I did enjoy it. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #14443 on: May 20, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »
Adoration (Atom Egoyan, 2008)

This film reminded me of some papers that I wrote back in high school / freshman year of college - jumbled, messy concoctions full of half-baked ideas. I guess Egoyan's film is pretty. It looks beautiful and in parts reminded me of The Sweet Hereafter (a film I really love) but most of the time, these reminders just served to highlight how vacuous and pretentious this film feels in comparison.

It's a hodgepodge of ideas that are individually promising (bridging of cultural differences, communication in the age of internet chatrooms, storytelling as a means of trying to get at the truth) but ultimately the film ends up dealing with these issues so superficially and in such a disjointed way that it fails to do justice to any of them. Plus, rather than explore these through the story itself, most of this is dealt with using long stretches of expository dialogue which makes the film rather boring. I liked the fractured narrative of The Sweet Hereafter, especially given that the film itself deals with ideas of memory and regret. This film does the same but here the effect was confusing to me. There were definite points in the first half where I found myself putting pieces together in my head. This would be okay as such except that the only reason we are having to do this is because the filmmaker is being somewhat deliberately confusing. Lots of information is withheld from us (somewhat needlessly imo) and when the big reveal (or reveals) happen, they are either underwhelming or a little incredulous / senseless. Most of the drama feels way too disproportionate ultimately and consequently, I felt no emotional connection to the characters.

Couple of nice shots in the film though. One featuring a person playing a violin by a lake and another shot of a cell phone burning in a bonfire that's shot rather beautifully.

I didn't care too much for the performances either. Except there's one really great performance hidden in this mess of a movie. Scott Speedman is really good as the uncle here and manages to make ridiculous scenes bearable and even poignant. Pity the rest of the movie doesn't deserve it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:14:49 PM by worm@work »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #14444 on: May 20, 2009, 08:29:19 PM »
Star Trek.

A week and a half late, I am here to praise this film to the stars. It was awesome. The whole crew was great and the look and sound of the film was fantastic (lens flares and all). Bad guy didn't do much for me but the rest of the film was so good that it didn't inhibit my enjoyment. I was smiling throughout, and as I was driving home in my car I felt excited in a way that I haven't since The Phantom Menace (I was young  8)). I wanted to fight dudes on a platform with a sword and shit. It's great to get that feeling from a movie.

A.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14445 on: May 20, 2009, 11:02:54 PM »
Anna Christie (1931, Jacques Feyder)
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #14446 on: May 20, 2009, 11:50:11 PM »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #14447 on: May 21, 2009, 12:30:09 AM »

National Treasure: Book of Secrets (Jon Turteltaub, 2007)

This movie is pretty dumb. That was to be expected. It doesn't reach Next levels of awfulness but it is worse than the first film mainly just because I remember the actress being hotter? I don't know. Also, they wasted Helen Mirren (still hot!) in a dumb role. I don't know. Cage isn't even that great here. He only has that staged argument scene where he pulls out the English accent to mock some guy. That was gold. The rest was boring crap.

One thought: these CINECAST!ing puzzles are the simplest things in the world, apparently. I mean, it takes everyone like 10 seconds to figure out the clues.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:29:41 PM by roujin »

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #14448 on: May 21, 2009, 12:45:30 AM »
are you doing Cage & Lynch at the same time leading up to some rapturous Wild at Heart explosion?

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #14449 on: May 21, 2009, 12:47:34 AM »
Gregory’s Girl (Bill Forsyth, 1981)
Totally better than Local Hero. What’s with the terrible dubbing? Reminded me of Rushmore in a way.

Easy Riders and Raging Bulls (Kenneth Bowser, 2003)
Baby Boomers share coke stories and try to convince me that Dennis Hopper is really talented. Nothing special but very watchable.

The Wind That Shakes the Barley (Ken Loach, 2006)
It’s good. Gets into some interesting stuff about what a revolution is for; merely nationalism or social justice?

Salesman
(Albert Maysles, David Maysles, and Charlotte Zwerin, 1968)
I’m a sucker for vérité. Loved it.

Tequila Sunrise (Robert Towne, 1988)
Other than Raul Julia, who is terrific here, TS is a total snooze.

There's no deceit in the cauliflower.