Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996821 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #17600 on: August 02, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »
and that one scene, I can't comprehend the level to which that seems to bother some people. Even if you don't like it, or don't appreciate the humor of the scene... it's like 3 minutes of a long movie. how it can offend I don't understand.

I get it.  How could anyone not get it?

It takes a clever little joke and turns it into a big bombastic joke.  I don't exactly expect subtlety from Zack Snyder, but this crossed the line.

It doesn't ruin the movie, but it sticks out like a sore thumb.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Variable

• Stroke Me Lady Fame
« Reply #17601 on: August 02, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
and that one scene, I can't comprehend the level to which that seems to bother some people. Even if you don't like it, or don't appreciate the humor of the scene... it's like 3 minutes of a long movie. how it can offend I don't understand.

It takes a clever little joke and turns it into a big bombastic joke.  I don't exactly expect subtlety from Zack Snyder, but this crossed the line.

I never said anyone didn't get it, I wouldn't think that was possible. It definitely stands out but people tend to list it as a main or only reason that they disliked the movie. that's the part I'm not understanding.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #17602 on: August 02, 2009, 06:15:41 PM »
G Men (1935, William Keighley)

3.5/5

Cagney on the side of the law! The stakes are high! What fun!
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #17603 on: August 02, 2009, 06:23:22 PM »
Equilibrium (2002, Kurt Wimmer)

3.5/5

Nice plot overall. I didn't think the rules of the film's world were well established, but hey, who cares when 500 people are gunned down by Christian Bale who looks like he's performing ballet dancing.

Bloody Sunday (2002, Paul Greengrass)

4/5

I still get chills down my spine when I watch this.

-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #17604 on: August 02, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »
 :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 09:31:25 PM by roujin »

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #17605 on: August 02, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »

Kissing on the Mouth (Joe Swanberg, 2005)

eh, duder, what do you see in this? Because I can't get beyond the feeling that there's really no control behind these images. It felt extremely shapeless and half-formed. Swanberg never really defines any sort of space for me. It's like these characters are just left hanging around in a weird vacuum inside the frame where nothing exists besides them. It's just sorta zooms in on their faces or random body parts and then follows them as they move around. It's not very enjoyable. The acting is kinda piss poor; not naturalistic or whatever, just pretty bad. I felt bad for them whenever Swanberg tries to cut between two parties who are having a conversation and they kinda start laughing awkwardly. It just came off as amateur hour at some parts. That said, I did like the portrayal of sexuality for the most part and what is acceptable to show. For example, we see an extremely private moment for one of the main characters as she shaves and trims her pubic hair. In another segment, Swanberg jerks off in the shower (money shot included!). There's lots of sex and crap and the more tender moments of contact when it's just kinda an overwhelming amount of skin (like the screenshot above) are the ones that worked the best for me, because it kinda illustrated why these characters sorta maybe liked to get lost in each other for a bit; lost in each other's flesh, so as not to have to deal with bigger problems. But, still, it's just kinda crappy, and whatever other thematic crap there might be I just don't want to deal with, mainly cuz of the extremely ramshackle presentation. roujin is not amused.

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #17606 on: August 02, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
:)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #17607 on: August 02, 2009, 09:35:01 PM »
You have a way with words.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #17608 on: August 02, 2009, 10:46:03 PM »
My favorite film of the fest this past week Mary and Max. Animation for adults. Could end up in my top 5 of the year.

Full Review: Mary and Max
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #17609 on: August 02, 2009, 10:48:49 PM »

I never said anyone didn't get it, I wouldn't think that was possible. It definitely stands out but people tend to list it as a main or only reason that they disliked the movie. that's the part I'm not understanding.

You're right, I misread your post.  Sorry for that.

I wouldn't say I disliked the film.  But that scene definitely stood out as something I did not like.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

love