love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996904 times)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #18370 on: August 17, 2009, 02:22:08 AM »
All That Jazz - I heart Fosse.
I will dare to tackle Star 80 soon. I saw 30 minutes of it the other day and was very intrigued.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #18371 on: August 17, 2009, 02:30:59 AM »
I dunno about that, but I might have to watch Sweet Charity.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #18372 on: August 17, 2009, 03:19:19 AM »
(500) Days of Summer - cute, fun, and obnoxiously heteronormative.  **spoilery?**  yeah, i can't figure out if that will ruin the film for me or not, but i really hated the early - almost opening - statement that "there are two kinds of people in the world, male and female".  like others, i wasn't a fan of the little sister, though i'd chuckle from time-to-time, i quickly became aware that they were going to use her too often :(  i loved the dance sequence, jumping around temporally, Summer's take on love, Geoffry Arend, and soundtrack.  not so much a fan of the flipping perspectives on love, JGL and ZD (i think my expectations were too high, but i still mostly really liked them), jumping around temporally (almost kinda got tired of it, is the film leaning on this gimmick too hard?), Hansen's Autumn, and soundtrack (almost kinda get bugged by cool soundtracks that drive the movie)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #18373 on: August 17, 2009, 06:28:04 AM »
(500) Days of Summer - cute, fun, and obnoxiously heteronormative.  **spoilery?**  yeah, i can't figure out if that will ruin the film for me or not, but i really hated the early - almost opening - statement that "there are two kinds of people in the world, male and female".  like others, i wasn't a fan of the little sister, though i'd chuckle from time-to-time, i quickly became aware that they were going to use her too often :(  i loved the dance sequence, jumping around temporally, Summer's take on love, Geoffry Arend, and soundtrack.  not so much a fan of the flipping perspectives on love, JGL and ZD (i think my expectations were too high, but i still mostly really liked them), jumping around temporally (almost kinda got tired of it, is the film leaning on this gimmick too hard?), Hansen's Autumn, and soundtrack (almost kinda get bugged by cool soundtracks that drive the movie)

I thought the dance scene was brilliant...It really captured the feeling of new love
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #18374 on: August 17, 2009, 07:23:41 AM »
The Hangover (Todd Phillips, 2009)

But, then again, my favourite comedy of the moment is I Don't Want to Sleep Alone, so I don't know what I was expecting.

Hmmm. I think I was slightly off in calling I Don't Want to Sleep Alone a comedy (more a drama with funny moments), but I stand by that review.

Harlan

• "Keeping My Night Job"
« Reply #18375 on: August 17, 2009, 07:25:49 AM »
Psycho (1960)

A mediocre thriller made good by the master of suspense. Fun camerawork. Interesting to compare the treatment of mental illness in this film versus a film I watched on Saturday.

Accomplishment: 4 stars out of 5. Enjoyableness: 3 stars out of 5.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #18376 on: August 17, 2009, 09:38:15 AM »
I've always considered myself a Richard Curtis apologist, even though I think I have nothing to apologize for.

Sounds like now I will have something.

I felt the exact same way always sheepishly having to say, "Yes I think Notting Hill is a good move, so what!". But this one is simply a really bad film.

Notting Hill made my Top 100. It's awesome, don't feel embarrassed!

Notting Hill just missed my 100.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18377 on: August 17, 2009, 09:41:08 AM »
The final 20 minutes of American Pie

hehe. Graduate reference.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #18378 on: August 17, 2009, 11:08:01 AM »
Sodaberg's commentary on Schizopolis>Schizopolis

(and i liked schizopolis)

Truth!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #18379 on: August 17, 2009, 11:16:17 AM »
Sodaberg's commentary on Schizopolis>Schizopolis

(and i liked schizopolis)

Truth!

I also agree, and I like the movie.

Soderbergh gives the best commentaries ever. "The Limey" one is epic.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.