love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996215 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #18400 on: August 17, 2009, 01:20:50 PM »
But you didn't say it that way. You were being purposely dismissive. Just like that idiot on Cinematical who gave some of the lamest reasons in the world why she would never watch Schindler's List.

And I think outside of working on TheReelists I will join Clovis in a FLY silent treatment.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #18401 on: August 17, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »
But you didn't say it that way. You were being purposely dismissive. Just like that idiot on Cinematical who gave some of the lamest reasons in the world why she would never watch Schindler's List.

And I think outside of working on TheReelists I will join Clovis in a FLY silent treatment.

That's what I've been forced to do as of late thanks to pixote.  I've been trying not to but now I think his comments are contributing to my own mental instabilty. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18402 on: August 17, 2009, 01:24:06 PM »
I love how mature we all are here.  ;D

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #18403 on: August 17, 2009, 01:25:05 PM »
I love how mature we all are here.  ;D

I know!  :D
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #18404 on: August 17, 2009, 01:26:42 PM »
love your post Colleen!

but sex is binary (male/female)
Are you sure this is what you meant, cause it sounds to me like you discount multiple partner sex (also, in the context that "binary" is often used in relation to sex, it makes it sound like you are discounting homosexual, bisexual and asexual relations).

This is why we differentiate gender and sex. Sex is a purely biological term (having nothing to do with the act of sex). There are only two sexes, male and female. However, gender is certainly not binary, nor is sexual orientation. There are an almost limitless number of genders and sexual orientations. It is the ultimate sliding scale.

worng!  and this is what kinda set me off.  first, sex, like gender, is a construct - i know people have a problem getting this but there it is.  second, and easy to grasp, is that there are intersexed individuals that have both male and female genitals to varying degrees - if genitalia is the defining feature, which i suspect it must be.

The case of hermaphrodites is more complicated. This is what makes human sexuality so interesting!

but you are now mixing terms, intersex is not about sexuality.  and i also disagree with other things you are claiming about transexuality, gender identity, what a medical or anthropological community claims, as if there is a unified position, because there is most emphatically not.

and back to this:

but i really hated the early - almost opening - statement that "there are two kinds of people in the world, male and female".  

**maybe some spoilers so i've moved over to the spoiler thread**

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18405 on: August 17, 2009, 01:28:04 PM »
Froham and Clovis are taking on the World (well, the world of the forum, anyway) today.  I'm enjoying this from the cheap seats for once, with my proverbial binoculars.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #18406 on: August 17, 2009, 01:30:01 PM »
Froham and Clovis are taking on the World (well, the world of the forum, anyway) today.  I'm enjoying this from the cheap seats for once, with my proverbial binoculars.

Canadians will rule the world eventually. Binoculars will be required eyewear for all.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #18407 on: August 17, 2009, 01:37:19 PM »
first, sex, like gender, is a construct - i know people have a problem getting this but there it is.

Sorry skjerva but could you explain what you mean by this?

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #18408 on: August 17, 2009, 01:37:43 PM »

Canadians will rule the world eventually. Binoculars will be required eyewear for all.
You're thinking of opera glasses. That's why your people will never rise to the top. Just sloppy.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #18409 on: August 17, 2009, 01:37:51 PM »
Wow that was a fantastic and levelheaded post Colleen.

That said, I totally understand how something like this might rub somebody Ina different social group the wrong way. as a Jew I've often cringed at not only the portrayal of Jews in many films, but I've been generally annoyed by films and media reinforcing ideas of how Jews behave. But on the flip side, I will never critique a Christmas movie for not presenting the viewpoints of Jews or any other religious group. That is ultimately my problem with skjerva's complaints. Instead of taking a film on the level that it presents itself there seems to be a need for the movie to specifically appeal to certain personal needs.

The movie is written by straight white guys about their own views on their relationships and those of people they know. It was directed by a straight white guy who brought his own experiences to the table. That's the experience that the movie offers. I'd much rather see the director stick to that material than attempt to shoehorn in some added commentary on lgbt relationships of which he likely knows next to nothing about.

If the film had contained gay characters and skjerva felt that their portrayal was unrealistic or promoted certain stereotypes then I'd have no problem, but to constantly berate films for not even presenting a certain viewpoint is a faulty argument from the start.

Yes but you could watch a Christmas movie and think, I am so sick of Christmas Christmas Christmas in my face all the time when it means nothing to me, so even though this may have been an aesthetically pleasing movie, I was annoyed by it/hated it/whatever.  Or be acutely aware of the total lack of diversity in a town where everyone is celebrating Christmas, EVERYONE.  And the one person who doesn't has to be "taught the meaning of Christmas" or somesuch because anyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas has to be "fixed".

To me the critiques offered here are more along the lines of reviews.  There are a few people with the technical expertise to speak to how well a film is constructed or edited or directed.  Those are interesting but generally aren't going to affect whether I see a movie or not.  Someone like CCSChneider (?) or ElectricOtter will have interesting takes on a movie.

Then there are people who argue that a movie is empirically or objectively "great" or "awful" and judge it as though their personal take on the movie has some larger implication of the movie being good or bad.  These are interesting arguments but I don't buy the basic premise--each viewer brings their own baggage with them and it will affect how they see the movie.  Someone like sdedalus because he has such a breadth of film experience I will listen to and enjoy a lively discussion but I don't tend to participate in it.

Then there are a lot of people who report on their own experience of a movie.  Those are the majority of the posts I see in this thread or other threads reporting on a movie recently watched:  I noticed this or I noticed that or this worked for me or this didn't.  I take them the same way I take professional reviewers.  I know the things skjerva is going to ding a movie for and if they are generally something I don't care much about, then I ignore his overall judgement of the movie.  Just like while I generally can trust Ebert reviews, I know he is not a big horror fan so will not necessarily take his horror reviews that seriously.  Even a review I don't agree with might tell me something I want to know about the movie.  "I hated this movie because it had cardboard characters and was nothing but action sequences and things blowing up."  Well, on a day when that's exactly what I'm in the mood for, I might go see that one.  

And then there are the posters who take the "movie is objectively good or bad" approach without backing up the reasoning at all, or giving really shallow or idiosyncratic reasons for their judgement, but they make their judgement as though everyone else should see it their way too.  Those are pretty much worthless but occasionally amusing.

love