love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998463 times)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #18440 on: August 17, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »

(i really don't get the AHX comparison)

It is not a great analogy to be sure. I am just saying that it is unfair to say a movie holds a given viewpoint because one of its characters holds a given viewpoint.

most likely.  but as i wrote, this is The Narrator and not one of the characters "holding a given viewpoint".  as i suggested, the typical use of Narrator is one to establish certain "facts" from an omniscient perspective, thus The Narrator stating "there are two kinds of people - Male and Female" (likely) has a different meaning than if Summer or Hansen had stated the same

No narrator, whether omniscient or otherwise, should ever be trusted or considered reliable.

that kind of renders the "unreliable narrator" device meaningless.

Or further enhances the strength of the "reliable narrator" device?

::)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #18441 on: August 17, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »

The Philadelphia Story (George Cukor, 1940)

Very funny romantic comedy about a bunch of dudes getting all up in Hepburn's face defining her, bringing her down and whatnot. It gets depressing after a while. But then Cary Grant opens his mouth and I'm all smiles. The kid sister was pretty hilarious, too. I found it funny that the movie has everyone get shitfaced in order for things to get going - it's obvious things are going to happen but the fact that we get to see a very drunk Jimmy Stewart and a very drunk Hepburn (driving?!) is hilarious. I still have reservations about how much I can like these two actors (although Shop and Holiday/Baby are all pretty good, better than this film) but it doesn't matter at all when you have Grant whom I adore now. This man is amazing and elevates the movie into being pretty awesome. Just now pix was all quoting lines from it and I kept thinking about Cary Grant saying them and I cracked up. It was f-u-n-n-y.

But maybe he should've went gay all of a sudden. Just maybe.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #18442 on: August 17, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »

The Philadelphia Story (George Cukor, 1940)

Very funny romantic comedy about a bunch of dudes getting all up in Hepburn's face defining her, bringing her down and whatnot. It gets depressing after a while. But then Cary Grant opens his mouth and I'm all smiles. The kid sister was pretty hilarious, too. I found it funny that the movie has everyone get shitfaced in order for things to get going - it's obvious things are going to happen but the fact that we get to see a very drunk Jimmy Stewart and a very drunk Hepburn (driving?!) is hilarious. I still have reservations about how much I can like these two actors (although Shop and Holiday/Baby are all pretty good, better than this film) but it doesn't matter at all when you have Grant whom I adore now. This man is amazing and elevates the movie into being pretty awesome. Just now pix was all quoting lines from it and I kept thinking about Cary Grant saying them and I cracked up. It was f-u-n-n-y.

But maybe he should've went gay all of a sudden. Just maybe.

i <3 Grant.  i should have revisited some of his stuff for my 100
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #18443 on: August 17, 2009, 04:20:40 PM »
I've said this many times before, but TPS > HGF.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #18444 on: August 17, 2009, 05:13:30 PM »
yeah, yeah

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #18445 on: August 17, 2009, 05:29:32 PM »
Gigantic

Other highlights of Gigantic include a soundtrack that rivals Adventureland and Lymelife for the year's best, a fantastic supporting cast, and a highly stylized world that all add up to one Hell of a debut for Matt Aselton.

Read the full review at Processed Grass

Throne of Blood - The film is visually gorgeous, the score is pretty great, the acting is good, and the film is another great effort from Akira Kurosawa. Sadly, this film felt much slower than the two previous Kurosawa films that I have watched and I really think that the silent portions here, unlike in Rashomon, detracted instead of added to the film. Basically the film is a standard retelling of Macbeth, and I've always been of the mind that Macbeth is much better material to be discussed than to be watched or read. Not surprisingly, that transfers over to Throne of Blood mostly. It's a pretty great adaptation I suppose, despite leaving out a few things from the play, I believe. But he also injects his own themes and visual symbols, which adds more to the film, I reckon. Can't say I was blown away though or that I have much to say about the film. It's really solid and a technically great film, but it just never really grabbed me.

B+ or 3.898213472146702381645823

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #18446 on: August 17, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »
I know the conversation has kinda since stopped (damn time differences) but I want to thank Colleen and skjerva, and Clovis and FroHam, for some great discussion. And thanks for having it here, where I'd find it, and not in a spoiler thread I'd be avoiding because I haven't seen the movie because it hasn't opened here yet.

It's funny, skjerva's not the first person I've heard call (500) Days heteronormative. I think Colleen also did great work at pointing out why this can be, but isn't necessarily always, a problem.

I'd just also like to say that a year ago it's stuff I probably wouldn't have noticed, but now, I've been getting incredibly sensitive to it. Like in The Hangover, which offended me in so many ways, although I'm pretty sure a year ago, I wouldn't have noticed.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #18447 on: August 17, 2009, 07:05:56 PM »
Thanks!  It means a lot.  I enjoyed the conversation as well.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #18448 on: August 17, 2009, 07:11:51 PM »
No worries. I think you said a lot of stuff I would've said, except far more clearly and eloquently. I'm just sad I didn't get to join in.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #18449 on: August 17, 2009, 10:13:22 PM »
No worries. I think you said a lot of stuff I would've said, except far more clearly and eloquently. I'm just sad I didn't get to join in.

we're a ESTnormative bunch ;)