Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996671 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #19160 on: August 31, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »
In the sense that one needs to adapt his/her viewing skills/expectations to engage with Playtime makes it worth-watching.  It's not a film that makes me laugh.  Though I do find it enjoyable because it's a visual game.

This matches my usual experience with Tati.  It's not that the films are laugh out loud funny: it's that they're ingeniously and charmingly constructed.  They inspire more grins than giggles.

Yes, this is how I feel about both M. Hulot's Holiday and Playtime.

Exactly.  Though there were some moments in the dinner scene in Playtime that made me LOL.
Well I happen to laugh a lot. At least with M. Hulot's Holiday and Mon oncle. Then again, I'm that annoying guy who always laughs loudest in the theater at every joke, even at comedies I don't like. Dunno why. Your comedy has to be abysmally unfunny for me not to laugh at it.

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #19161 on: August 31, 2009, 05:04:48 PM »
Synecdoche, New York (2008, Charlie Kaufman)
It’s been about six months since I saw this last.  It’s #3 on my all-time list, and the only movie that I was genuinely disappointed to not be represented in the FS Top 100.  That being said, it’s hard to judge this movie like other movies.  It’s less a film and more a cathartic process.  This viewing I was about ½ way through and thinking –“why do I like this so much?”, “wow they beat you over the head with theme, don’t they?”, and “when does the good part start again?”  But as sure as every other time I’ve seen this - by the end I’m a bowl of pathos.  I rushed upstairs to give my sleeping wife a hug.  I can’t recommend this to people.  All I can do is share my repeated strong reaction to it.
PS: I’m seriously considering doing a fan-commentary for this if anyone is interested in helping.  I think with enough research and preparation we could do a pretty informative and “professional “ job of it.
I.. didn't like this movie at all (not that it was a bad film, it was certainly well acted and put together) but it's not how I want to spend my time. Glad someone enjoys it though :)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #19162 on: August 31, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
Comparing Antichrist to Salo is like comparing Christianity to Scientology. Yes, they're both bad; but they're also not even in the same CINECAST!ing ballpark.

This comment makes me very sad.  I'm sorry circumstances are such that this is such a strong reality for you.

Can you explain this post for me, please? I keep trying to get it, and it's not working. It's probably just me.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #19163 on: August 31, 2009, 05:09:55 PM »
I think Ferris is religious?

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #19164 on: August 31, 2009, 05:10:55 PM »
PS: I’m seriously considering doing a fan-commentary
Go for it, ferris, that sounds cool.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #19165 on: August 31, 2009, 05:12:13 PM »
I think Ferris is religious?

Oh, so it's the analogy that makes him sad? I guess that didn't even register. I kept thinking to myself "Why is it sad that he's seen both of those films?"
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #19166 on: August 31, 2009, 05:16:07 PM »
PS: I’m seriously considering doing a fan-commentary
Go for it, ferris, that sounds cool.
Seconded. I'm sure I'd enjoy it more than I did the film. I'm going to have to watch it again so I can better justify my opinion.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #19167 on: August 31, 2009, 05:52:43 PM »
I very much enjoyed Synecdoche, New York. Especially since I was the only person I knew that had heard of the word synecdoche before the movie came out.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #19168 on: August 31, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »
That's impressive. I still forget how I'm supposed to pronounce it sometimes.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #19169 on: August 31, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »
Stalker - Good, but Jeanne Dielman's better.  I still like Andrei Rublev a whole lot more than any other Tarkovsky I've seen.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com