love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997295 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #19960 on: September 20, 2009, 05:37:08 PM »
Little Dieter Needs to Fly

****/****

Dieter is a truly amazing human being. The way he talks about the most harrowing things is remarkable. His will to live is inspiring. I am glad I watched this before Rescue Dawn, as some of the things he talks about are so fantastical that I would not have believed them in the context of a fictional retelling.

Up next Rescue dawn
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 06:48:22 PM by Clovis8 »

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #19961 on: September 20, 2009, 06:33:21 PM »
Elephant has no imperfections.
JJ disagrees.

yeah, but he's like so totally wrong its not even funny. (haha, actually it was kinda funny)

Elephant has no imperfections.

Bulimia?  No?

pixote

no, that's great.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #19962 on: September 20, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »
Paranoid Park

Decent but inferior to Elephant.

I will be watching Elephant tomorrow, I hope you're right.

she's not.  Paranoid's "non-linearity" is the point, the film is about how we come to peace with ourselves through memory getting reworked.  thus, Chardy's claim that guilt accumulates is also off as the "non-linearity" is really memory repeating the same scene, thus the "accumulation" is really just the same guilt getting reworked to alleviation.  Paranoid is brilliant, Elephant is merely very good

You've clearly watched this more than once.

No disrespect meant here, but I found this comical. Are you actually criticizing his/her critique by saying....he/she has seen it more than once? Like "Oh well, of course you see it that way, you have the ability of hindsight". I thought that would give a critique more validity, not detract! The first argument of it's type I've come across, I got to say, if indeed I'm reading your post correctly. Correct me if I'm out of line. And this is coming from someone who is not really a fan of that film(though I probably need to see it again, I was in no mood at the time, probably).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:01:33 PM by Holly Harry »
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19963 on: September 20, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »
Rescue Dawn

** 1/2 /****

Using some of the exact same stock video from Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Herzog retells the story of his friend. I love the scene where they actually watch the very same survival training video Herzog himself made fun of in Dieter Needs to Fly. Genius.

There are some problems with the film. The one CGI scene is pretty terrible. Bale also has a few pretty bad moments of acting which are pretty jarring.

Overall, I like the documentary quite a bit more than this film.

I know some people commented that the ending was cheesy, but if you watch the documentary you know its all true. The real story is actually even more chessy. The general lets him have his quarters to sleep on the ship for several weeks.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #19964 on: September 20, 2009, 07:56:03 PM »
The one CGI scene that most people complain about isn't CGI at all, don't know what this says about that scene, but it's been confirmed that it isn't CGI.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19965 on: September 20, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »
The one CGI scene that most people complain about isn't CGI at all, don't know what this says about that scene, but it's been confirmed that it isn't CGI.

when he is flying it is cgi. The crash is not.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #19966 on: September 20, 2009, 08:02:50 PM »
Yes it is, although I never viewed that as bad, most people complain about the crash as bad CGI, when it isn't CGI at all.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #19967 on: September 20, 2009, 08:11:29 PM »
It's true, the flying didn't look great, still a great movie, I thought.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #19968 on: September 20, 2009, 08:20:53 PM »
Paranoid Park

Decent but inferior to Elephant.

I will be watching Elephant tomorrow, I hope you're right.

she's not.  Paranoid's "non-linearity" is the point, the film is about how we come to peace with ourselves through memory getting reworked.  thus, Chardy's claim that guilt accumulates is also off as the "non-linearity" is really memory repeating the same scene, thus the "accumulation" is really just the same guilt getting reworked to alleviation.  Paranoid is brilliant, Elephant is merely very good

You've clearly watched this more than once.

No disrespect meant here, but I found this comical. Are you actually criticizing his/her critique by saying....he/she has seen it more than once? Like "Oh well, of course you see it that way, you have the ability of hindsight". I thought that would give a critique more validity, not detract! The first argument of it's type I've come across, I got to say, if indeed I'm reading your post correctly. Correct me if I'm out of line. And this is coming from someone who is not really a fan of that film(though I probably need to see it again, I was in no mood at the time, probably).

I was saying that with hindsight (i.e. on your second viewing) this film would be more enjoyable. This is because you know the level of Alex's guilt at the end, and then see where it comes from - from all his memory-flashbacks (which appear out of order). For me, on a first viewing, I found it a bit jarring, disjointed; I felt the non-linearity wasn't the best way to convey his guilt. skjerva's post made it occur to me how much better this film would be on a second viewing because (with knowledge of the end) it reduces the importance of sequential memory flashbacks.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #19969 on: September 20, 2009, 08:24:07 PM »
#211.

Chungking Express (Wong Kar-Wai, 1994) -

I was taken aback by the opening sequence. It was blurry, racing, and confusing. Then for the next 30 minutes we are shown two different characters that do meet, though spend limited time together. I say shown because there is not much dialogue, an idea I am not against, but at that point I didn't understand why I cared for these characters. There was some good stuff in this part, but overall I think it disinterested me. Then we are shown two new characters and we follow them for pretty much the remainder of the film. I don't know what happened to the first two people, maybe I missed that, I was starting to nod off a little bit at the end of that segment, so maybe it's not the problem I think it is. Anyway, so these two new characters. One fancies the other and tries to literally change things around in his life while the other one is trying to get over his air hostess ex-girlfriend. This part is all a bit strange to me, the rearranging thing I mean. But then the end springs on you like a brick, in a good way. Loved the ending of the film. In fact, it made rethink my entire thoughts on the film. Until the end I had thought it was kind of average with some good visuals (I really liked the visual style of the film...after the opening sequence anyway), but then after the ending I was able to wrap my thoughts together and realize what it was the film was going for. The end of the day I think I need another viewing to truly settle on a concrete opinion, but first run through I thought it was good, with some great in it.

Rating: 3/4
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

love