love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996989 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #19990 on: September 20, 2009, 11:13:31 PM »
And yes, the funeral scene is freaking amazing.

Not sure things get better than small town Ford americana.
Bacon Americana!

Mmm... Bacon...

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19991 on: September 20, 2009, 11:17:57 PM »
Good edit Pix. I was thinking everyone knows this, its a 25 year old movie but I didnt and this was my first viewing.  ;D

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #19992 on: September 20, 2009, 11:25:20 PM »
Paranoid Park

Decent but inferior to Elephant. Guilt is an emotion that accumulates and the non-linearity lessens the impact. 6/10.

This review is both wrong and right at the same time!

I agree that Paranoid is inferior to Elephant but I think that it is still a great movie in it's own right.

Both movies are fantastic.  But I agree, elephant edges out PP.

Elephant's in my top 100 (thanks collective fs nation for the recommendation) and PP I have on Tivo have gotten 10 minutes in 3 times and just can't get in the mood to watch it.  Even though every outdoor scene in the movie is in my backyard in Portland basically

Some of the scenes take place in (almost) literally my backyard-- places I pass by almost every day.  Same with Wendy and Lucy.  It's cool to live in the neighborhood of awesome movies.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #19993 on: September 21, 2009, 12:13:44 AM »
Oldboy.

Good stuff. I got bored sometimes though. I actually "liked" the "badguy" more than our "hero". That's a lot of quotation marks.

B.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:24:48 AM by Junior »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

flieger

« Reply #19994 on: September 21, 2009, 12:22:41 AM »
I love the octopus scene. Apparently Choi Min-sik, as a Buddhist, apologised to each octopus every take...

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #19995 on: September 21, 2009, 12:26:02 AM »
I love the octopus scene. Apparently Choi Min-sik, as a Buddhist, apologised to each octopus every take...

there were certainly a good number of shocking and entertaining scenes. Those were fun.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

flieger

« Reply #19996 on: September 21, 2009, 12:35:47 AM »
... seen the other Vengeance films - Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance? Not as abstract in style and narrative as Oldboy, but must-sees just to "get" where Park Chan-wook is coming from...

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #19997 on: September 21, 2009, 12:54:23 AM »
50 Dead Men Walking - What can I say? Ben Kingsley is Ben Kingsley, and I was engaged for pretty much the whole movie (though there is a special place in my heart for these sorts of movies). I thought a few moments of editing would've been better off left alone, but beyond that it was still enjoyable. 3/5

A History of Violence - So, I guess the focus of the film adaptation is supposed to be in a totally different direction from the graphic novel, which is pretty neat and maybe something Watchmen could have looked at. Beyond that, the son was annoying, and felt very cliche, but I did enjoy the rest of the film. The relationship between the protagonist and his wife was built up, and some of the shots were awesome. Certainly a good watch. 4/5

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #19998 on: September 21, 2009, 01:10:38 AM »
"There is no explainable reason" is something that can be done effectively, this isn't it. If that's what he was going for, why include scenes of every stereotype imaginable for the killers? The other characters were just as badly portrayed, Van Sant putting together a collection of every high-school personality stereotype in the book. Of course they were only fodder for his little staged tragedy anyways, so there's not much to say about them.

wow, i really wanna smack you right now ;D

Its not about him saying something, and to always expect that is kinda lazy.  The intent of this and last days and gerry ect is a kind of semiotic investigation - its up to YOU to say something.  Unlike say Pixar, this is actually art as film (not to knock it - i love entertainment as much as the next person).  You have these ideas and judgments in your head and he give you visuals that provoke those associations.  Meditate on your own reactions - not on what you think Van Sant's might be because you don;t know what they are because he's actually not interested in telling you.  This is why something like Theo Angelopoulos' Ulysses' Gaze (which tries to do the same thing) doesn't work for me is that I really have no cultural knowledge base from which to draw on to interact with what I'm seeing.  But to disregard this side of the film is to lose so much of what makes the film great. 

Meditate on your own reactions

I did, my reactions were anger, hatred, and disgust. ;D But seriously, you're not really addressing my problems with the movie. Your description of it sounds great, if it actually succeeded at those things I would have no doubt loved it as I have movies that work in similar ways. But the way Van Sant handles the material actively prevents me from experiencing anything meaningful. I don't expect you to agree with me, but I need you to know I'm not just disregarding Van Sants intent, I'm saying it's:

completely ineffective.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #19999 on: September 21, 2009, 01:13:04 AM »
I just watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog again. That movie is so fantastic. Very short (45 mins) but it has very funny dialogue and great music! It was written by Joss Whedon and released for free online - I however have the DVD with lots of extras ;)
It stars Nathan Fillion, Neil Patrick Harris, and Felicia Day.
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway