Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996396 times)

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20030 on: September 21, 2009, 08:38:11 AM »
I wouldn't say he gives us the opposites. With the jock he did, but with others he didn't. My reading was more along the lines of: here are a bunch of stereotypes - however any one of these people could do _______.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #20031 on: September 21, 2009, 08:46:56 AM »
I think he did once the shooting started, the jocks were for the most part scared, the geeky girl who usually survives was gunned down right away while the most level headed kid of the whole bunch was the stoner/skateboard kid. Maybe it's just my read but I felt like once the shooting started GVS started having the non-killers do the opposite of what we expected from them, for the most part.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #20032 on: September 21, 2009, 08:59:11 AM »
I think he did once the shooting started, the jocks were for the most part scared, the geeky girl who usually survives was gunned down right away while the most level headed kid of the whole bunch was the stoner/skateboard kid. Maybe it's just my read but I felt like once the shooting started GVS started having the non-killers do the opposite of what we expected from them, for the most part.

Yeah maybe, I thought it was more incidental. Not that big of a deal either way.
- Groucho Marx

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #20033 on: September 21, 2009, 09:04:20 AM »
The Big Sleep - Howard Hawks, 1946

Humphrey Bogart is a ridiculous pimp. I love it. He just shoots angles at every girl he comes across (who are ALL hot in this movie). He's the man. The story is rather convoluted but very entertaining; I don't think it's all that important to keep track of every character. Murder, blackmail, romance, and quick wit, this has all the ingredients of a great mystery. 8/10.
- Groucho Marx

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #20034 on: September 21, 2009, 09:07:02 AM »
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (Gordon, 2007)

A second viewing. I liked it the first time, but I’m actually more impressed with it this time around. Upon the first viewing I was hung up on whether or not the subjects were being mocked, and I now think I was being way too cautious. Also the good v evil framing device, although perhaps simple, is perfectly executed. At times “Steve as the nice guy” seemed too uncomplicated; while he certainly is a nice guy, there were times when I thought he should just turn that thing off and go read to his kids or something. And it kind of felt like the film let him off the hook a bit because the makers want him to be their hero. Anyway, great movie nonetheless.  
Grade: A-
That is a perfect screencap you have there. I agree with your take as well!

I'd like to give that a second viewing as well.  
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #20035 on: September 21, 2009, 10:19:59 AM »
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (Gordon, 2007)
A second viewing. I liked it the first time, but I’m actually more impressed with it this time around. Upon the first viewing I was hung up on whether or not the subjects were being mocked, and I now think I was being way too cautious. Also the good v evil framing device, although perhaps simple, is perfectly executed. At times “Steve as the nice guy” seemed too uncomplicated; while he certainly is a nice guy, there were times when I thought he should just turn that thing off and go read to his kids or something. And it kind of felt like the film let him off the hook a bit because the makers want him to be their hero. Anyway, great movie nonetheless. 
Interesting. I think I liked it less the second time around (though only a very tiny bit less - still think, with you, it's a great film), but I think that's because I saw it the first time with a cinema full of people, and we were all just having a fabulous time with it - boos and cheers and all. The second time, the unfolding of the characters and story was a little less engrossing because I knew where the film was going. And "there were times when I thought he should just turn that thing off and go read to his kids or something" - yes,  :D, I thought that, too.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1928)
Close-ups! Felt far less like homework than I expected. Really beautiful but also hypnotic and completely engrossing. The last ten minutes are harrowing. I watched it with the music on, was I right or wrong to do that? 
Grade: A
I'm curious to watch it a second time with the music on though I loved how powerful a film could be with just images, no sound at all. Agree about the last 10 minutes - wow.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #20036 on: September 21, 2009, 10:33:23 AM »
"Safe sucked.  It was so boring."
"It was supposed to be boring.  That's the whole point."
"Was it supposed to suck, too?  Because it totally sucked."
"How can you say it sucked when it totally did what it set out to do?"
"To bore the shit out of me?"
"Exactly!"
"Give me back my Twizzlers."
I knew someone was recording my conversations with myself.

Yep, feels like a conversation I could've had about that dumb movie.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20037 on: September 21, 2009, 10:34:21 AM »
I just watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog again. That movie is so fantastic. Very short (45 mins) but it has very funny dialogue and great music! It was written by Joss Whedon and released for free online - I however have the DVD with lots of extras ;)
It stars Nathan Fillion, Neil Patrick Harris, and Felicia Day.

Have you listened to the commentary-- all done as a musical?  I can't wait to see it again with that "commentary"

I love Dr Horrible's but Haven't listened to the commentary, and now I really want to!!
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #20038 on: September 21, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »
Jonestown: The Life and Death of the People's Temple

A very effective doc. I was shocked at how little I knew about this, and how much audio and video exists of their little community.

"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20039 on: September 21, 2009, 11:10:24 AM »
I just want to join in on the discussion of Elephant:

Melvil, as much as I respect your opinion of Elephant, I disagree with you. I believe that Van sant's eye is nothing btu objective, that he is creating as believable a world as he can, and I think he utterly suceeds. High school does have these stereotypes, but not the ones shown in popular disney movies. These are the stereotypes that I surround myself with everyday. and the shooters, yes there are scenes of them playing a video game. But in the end, that's not the point. Van sant is instead challenging us with the knowledge that these kids are just normal, like when one of the shooters is talking to the principal. they aren't monsters. they are just teenagers.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

love