love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997482 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20040 on: September 21, 2009, 11:25:57 AM »
I just want to join in on the discussion of Elephant:

Melvil, as much as I respect your opinion of Elephant, I disagree with you. I believe that Van sant's eye is nothing btu objective, that he is creating as believable a world as he can, and I think he utterly suceeds. High school does have these stereotypes, but not the ones shown in popular disney movies. These are the stereotypes that I surround myself with everyday. and the shooters, yes there are scenes of them playing a video game. But in the end, that's not the point. Van sant is instead challenging us with the knowledge that these kids are just normal, like when one of the shooters is talking to the principal. they aren't monsters. they are just teenagers.

Yeah, I'm really running out of things to say about it. I'm happy for anyone the movie worked for, I wish I would've walked away with a new Filmspotting discovery to champion, but the things everyone is saying makes it work just didn't ring true for me.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #20041 on: September 21, 2009, 11:28:09 AM »
"Safe sucked.  It was so boring."
"It was supposed to be boring.  That's the whole point."
"Was it supposed to suck, too?  Because it totally sucked."
"How can you say it sucked when it totally did what it set out to do?"
"To bore the shit out of me?"
"Exactly!"
"Give me back my Twizzlers."
I knew someone was recording my conversations with myself.
Yep, feels like a conversation I could've had about that dumb movie.
More like you guys are boring and dumb. Burn!

But we can all agree that Twizzlers are great.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #20042 on: September 21, 2009, 11:37:46 AM »
"Safe sucked.  It was so boring."
"It was supposed to be boring.  That's the whole point."
"Was it supposed to suck, too?  Because it totally sucked."
"How can you say it sucked when it totally did what it set out to do?"
"To bore the shit out of me?"
"Exactly!"
"Give me back my Twizzlers."
I knew someone was recording my conversations with myself.
Yep, feels like a conversation I could've had about that dumb movie.
More like you guys are boring and dumb. Burn!

But we can all agree that Twizzlers are great.

I'm not even really a Moore hater but her performance really wore on me in the worst possible way.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #20043 on: September 21, 2009, 11:42:01 AM »
Yeah, I can see that. It's kind of an all or nothing movie.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #20044 on: September 21, 2009, 11:42:53 AM »
Lost in Translation

It has probably been three years since I last watched Lost in Translation and I still absolutely love it, but I had a very different experience, mostly regarding the characters, this time around.  

I found Murray's character far less sympathetic in the first half of the film.  He's actually a total ass.  He's getting paid two million dollars for the easiest commercial shoot ever and he just whines about it.  His line to Charlotte about doing this commercial "when I could be somewhere doing a play" was hilariously self-involved and ridiculous.  

I really disliked Ribisi's character prior to this viewing (well, love the character, but think he's a douche), but this time around I didn't find him as ridiculous and inattentive.  He's certainly a fairly shallow individual, but I realized that he's an artist and totally having the time of his life on this trip.  It's a great opportunity for him and he's making the most of it.  The tension between him and Charlotte feels more like she's jealous of him knowing what he wants to do in life and doing it than merely him being kind of a flake and not giving her enough attention.

My impression of Scarlet Johansson as Charlotte didn't really change.  I think pretty much everyone in their 20s is trying to figure out what they really want to do in life and she's smart enough to realize that she's not all that talented in areas that she's interested in, which is so often true and genuinely depressing.

Overall, I still love this film and find it reassuring and exciting that watching it a few years later can bring such a different perspective.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #20045 on: September 21, 2009, 11:58:27 AM »
l33t

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #20046 on: September 21, 2009, 12:02:05 PM »
....I believe that Van sant's eye is nothing btu objective, that he is creating as believable a world as he can, and I think he utterly suceeds. High school does have these stereotypes, but not the ones shown in popular disney movies. These are the stereotypes that I surround myself with everyday. and the shooters, yes there are scenes of them playing a video game. But in the end, that's not the point. Van sant is instead challenging us with the knowledge that these kids are just normal, like when one of the shooters is talking to the principal. they aren't monsters. they are just teenagers.

Very well said and I agree with really everything you said here
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #20047 on: September 21, 2009, 12:03:51 PM »
Yeah, I can see that. It's kind of an all or nothing movie.

I plan to see it soonish. I'm hoping there will be awesomeness.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #20048 on: September 21, 2009, 12:07:17 PM »
Lost in Translation
....I found Murray's character far less sympathetic in the first half of the film.  He's actually a total ass.  He's getting paid two million dollars for the easiest commercial shoot ever and he just whines about it.  His line to Charlotte about doing this commercial "when I could be somewhere doing a play" was hilariously self-involved and ridiculous....

From someone who has done tons of business travel - lots of time alone in hotels, car rentals and lost in a city I'm not familiar with, knowing full well that every minute I'm away is a strain on wife and kids....I total resonated with him in the early part of the film.  

This may be an "easy shoot", but my take was that this was "just one more" easy shoot, one more trip away, and one where he's getting to the "what's the whole point of it anyways" stage.

That being said I lost all sympathy with him when he had the one night stand.  I could no longer relate to him on any level at that point.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #20049 on: September 21, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »