love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996456 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20050 on: September 21, 2009, 12:10:30 PM »
very  :(

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #20051 on: September 21, 2009, 12:15:41 PM »
that post came a little lee8

and that joke was totally l

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20052 on: September 21, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »
Lost in Translation
That being said I lost all sympathy with him when he had the one night stand.  I could no longer relate to him on any level at that point.
Really? I'm usually the one to hate on this kind of stuff but it totally worked with where the character was at.

The Big Sleep - Howard Hawks, 1946

The story is rather convoluted but very entertaining; I don't think it's all that important to keep track of every character. Murder, blackmail, romance, and quick wit, this has all the ingredients of a great mystery. 8/10.
I never could get into this movie. Same with To Have and Have Not. I think I just can't get behind Hawks. To me all his movies deadpan and one tone (from those I've seen).

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #20053 on: September 21, 2009, 12:32:16 PM »
Lost in Translation
That being said I lost all sympathy with him when he had the one night stand.  I could no longer relate to him on any level at that point.
Really? I'm usually the one to hate on this kind of stuff but it totally worked with where the character was at.

I'd like to talk that point more.  I wish I had more time now.  I should pose the question in the spoiler thread sometime today.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #20054 on: September 21, 2009, 12:39:29 PM »
l33t

Had to look this up on the Urban Dictionary.  Gotta brush up on my Internet lingo:)

Thanks rouj.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20055 on: September 21, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »
l33t

Had to look this up on the Urban Dictionary.  Gotta brush up on my Internet lingo:)

Thanks rouj.

That lingo a holdover from roujin's days as a Halo 2 pro gamer.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #20056 on: September 21, 2009, 01:47:52 PM »
Nói albínói

What'd ya think of this one?

i'm leaning to calling it a traditional teen flick with a traditional happy ending (though with a bit of a twist).  i am happy to give it more credit, reading it as suggesting that the drama of (a teen's) life might require cutting all ties and starting from a clean slate.  it kept me interested, i liked Nói's character and how he was performed, i'd be happy to give it another look.  what are your thoughts on it?

last night, Amélie - still mostly good, i don't think i'd experienced this one since seeing it in the theatre.  i tend to not love narration (is it Scorsese who said this is a lazy practice to be avoided?), i thought it was a bit much to have (roughly) the first 15min be narrated, and at over 2hrs, the film prolly should have somhow lost 15-30 min.  i thought the film's close was a bit saccharine (yes, even for this film) and unsatisfying.  much of the final third of the film was quite beautiful, though i am/was a bit bothered by how conservative it all felt - personal satisfactions being met, largely outside of a cultural context.  still, probably a Top 600 film :)

i still owe some thoughts for Silverlake Life, and hopefully i'll write more about it soon, maybe after another visit.  i didn't expect this to have such a home movie feel, and perhaps that isn't quite right, but the aggressively personal nature of the film was perfect.  the way it paused on mundane, seemingly even trite, observations actually conveyed a kind of miraculous beauty, life as everything we take for granted - from details of a partner to everyday landscapes.  of course, perhaps most profound was the way that dying was portrayed as living, and that the "sick body" was shown as merely another body - beautiful, and not completely defining one's existence, but also political.  there's obviously much more to be written.  really a must see, thanks for championing it, pix, i prolly wouldn't have gotten around to it so soon (late).  pix, you don't have extended thoughts posted on this somewhere, do you?  who else has seen this one?

and, looking for a good Silverlake image, i love that a couple pages into the google search there is a poster for I Love You, Man :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #20057 on: September 21, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »
really a must see, thanks for championing it, pix, i prolly wouldn't have gotten around to it so soon (late).  pix, you don't have extended thoughts posted on this somewhere, do you?

No, it's been too long since I've seen it, unfortunately.  Hope to get to see it again soon, maybe with an audience this time.  So glad the film has another fan around here now.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #20058 on: September 21, 2009, 03:22:38 PM »
The Informant (2009, Steven Soderbergh)

3/5

There enough moments throughout to keep me interested, but it's kind of stale overall.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #20059 on: September 21, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »
Alice In Wonderland (1951) ****

I decided to pick up the Disney marathon again, since it's not my marathon I won't be adjusting the schedule or anything, but every few weeks I'll post a topic for the next movie on the schedule, provided someone else hasn't already posted a topic for it. Either way, it's a great movie and my review is up, so check it out in the marathon section, here.

love