love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5995916 times)

flieger

Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20090 on: September 22, 2009, 12:43:18 AM »
For what it's worth, the cinematographer - Tim Suhrstedt - was responsible for, amongst others, Little Miss Sunshine, Office Space, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Teen Wolf, Idiocracy etc etc...

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #20091 on: September 22, 2009, 12:44:03 AM »
Did you like Thomas Lennon?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #20092 on: September 22, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »
I had no idea she'd done so many films! I dunno why, but JD struck me as the type of film that a person makes and then disappears.

Her Tomorrow We Move is an accessible farce albeit kind of a relatively slow paced one.  I'm dying to see her musical Golden Eighties and want to see her rom-com A Couch in New York.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #20093 on: September 22, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #20094 on: September 22, 2009, 01:44:57 PM »

Jackie Brown* (Quentin Tarantino, 1997)

Middle-aged characters whose main concerns are inevitable weight-gaining, hair-loss and getting stuck with jobs they hate for another 25 years because you don't change careers in your 40s don't often get their due in Hollywood films

Indeed. That's probably what struck me the most about this viewing, how concerned it is with aging, trying to stake out your own way even if the years are getting on. Ordell has his money, Max has his thoughts about getting out of the bonds business and Jackie, well, she has a plan. I guess the people that wanted Tarantino to grow up must've skipped this movie cuz it's by far his most mature and soulful film all while grounding it firmly in a genre framework. It also contains bar none his most emotionally resonant sequence (Max Cherry: out-of-focus, alone). Not to mention Tarantino's most complex and human characterizations. CINECAST!, that reprise of "Across 110th Street" is one of the greatest things ever. Those lines on Forster's face say it all. I liked the languid pace and the funky soundtrack and the repeating mall sequence and its incredible soundtrack. May be his best film.

Tarantino ranked:

1. Kill Bill: Volume 1
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Jackie Brown
4. Kill Bill: Volume 2
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Inglourious Basterds
7. Death Proof

that is a great write-up, though.  i already liked JB, i can't wait 'til the next time i see it with all of this in mind :)  i still don't think it is better than Basterds, his masterpiece

and, i can't wait for thoughts on

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20095 on: September 22, 2009, 05:26:42 PM »
Full Metal Alchemist:  The Movie

This was really cool.  I've only seen a few episodes of the series, so I was a bit lost.  Thankfully my friend filled me in on things he could tell I found puzzling.  I'm gonna go back and revisit the show soon, the movie piqued my interest.

Grade B
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #20096 on: September 22, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »
Full Metal Alchemist:  The Movie

This was really cool.  I've only seen a few episodes of the series, so I was a bit lost.  Thankfully my friend filled me in on things he could tell I found puzzling.  I'm gonna go back and revisit the show soon, the movie piqued my interest.

Grade B

The show's pretty fun, much better than the movie.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #20097 on: September 22, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »
Lost in Translation by Sofia Coppola aka thevoid99's Favorite Film of All-Time

I had to watch it again last night.  It's the sixth-anniversary of the night I saw it for the first time.

It's still powerful for me in a lot of ways.  Though I did recall yesterday about a comment on the film about Bill Murray's character.  Yeah, that one night stand made him less likeable but I think what he was doing before was him just unraveling after that conversation he had with Charlotte about marriage.  It was as if he's stuck in Tokyo all alone.  His wife is worried about the right carpet as he just doesn't know what to do.  I kind of agree with the statement that he does become unlikeable but I pitied him because there's a sense of hopelessness towards him.  He's going home to a marriage that's lost its passion, a career that isn't going anywhere, and other things that are going to make him miserable.

Yet, when I watched it again and every time I do.  It's Scarlett Johansson's performance that stuck out for me because she was Murray's equal and was willing to play his foil.  Her individual scenes are some of the best shots of the film for me.  Notably the sequence where she's looking out at the city as the camera looks down on that city.  It's one of my favorite shots of the film along with the shot of the tower and bridge in Tokyo at night. 

I can't understand the hate for this film if it can give a reaction so powerful in doing so little.  It still moves me.  Even talking and writing about it gets to me.  It hit home for me in such a way when I was 22 and now at 28, it still does. 

I will close this review with the essay I wrote last year for its fifth anniversary and will look forward to seeing it again and hopefully get it on Blu-Ray soon.  When I get a Blu-Ray player.
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #20098 on: September 22, 2009, 06:40:13 PM »

I had to watch it again last night.  It's the sixth-anniversary of the night I saw it for the first time.

It's still powerful for me in a lot of ways.  Though I did recall yesterday about a comment on the film about Bill Murray's character.  Yeah, that one night stand made him less likeable but I think what he was doing before was him just unraveling after that conversation he had with Charlotte about marriage.  It was as if he's stuck in Tokyo all alone.  His wife is worried about the right carpet as he just doesn't know what to do.  I kind of agree with the statement that he does become unlikeable but I pitied him because there's a sense of hopelessness towards him.  He's going home to a marriage that's lost its passion, a career that isn't going anywhere, and other things that are going to make him miserable.

Cheating is very overrated.  I don't really hold that against him.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #20099 on: September 22, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »

Cheating is very overrated.  I don't really hold that against him.

Plus, he was drunk and was guilty about it
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

love