Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997481 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20320 on: September 28, 2009, 10:00:50 PM »
Blade Runner (the director's cut, duh) (Ridley Scott, 1982)

I had given up on my Sci-Fi class. I didn't enjoy Star Wars, Westworld, The Thing, or Alien and I thought there was no hope for me with this genre. I was wrong. This is an incredible movie. Top 100 material. Harrison Ford can carry a movie like no one else. My only annoyance was the lighting, which was cool, but a little excessive. The absolutely perfect ending makes up for it.

Grade: A
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20321 on: September 28, 2009, 10:03:12 PM »
Blade Runner (the director's cut, duh) (Ridley Scott, 1982)

I had given up on my Sci-Fi class. I didn't enjoy Star Wars, Westworld, The Thing, or Alien and I thought there was no hope for me with this genre. I was wrong. This is an incredible movie. Top 100 material. Harrison Ford can carry a movie like no one else. My only annoyance was the lighting, which was cool, but a little excessive. The absolutely perfect ending makes up for it.

Grade: A

Ok I have to watch this. Literally everyone I respect loves this movie and I didnt like it all. I am going to seek out the directors cut.

The Liar

« Reply #20322 on: September 28, 2009, 10:04:33 PM »
Exotica (1994)

I agree with what has been said probably a billion times before, this film is a great work of art. The best way I could describe film is that it was a tragic tapestry that was still beautiful to look at (a little pretentious I know). The final reveal kind of left me shaking, I can't remember the last time a film made me feel quite like that. I must say though that I felt the Thomas plotline was left a bit too open and unexplained... or am I just missing something?

Regardless I'm definitely going to check out more of Egoyan's filmography now.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20323 on: September 28, 2009, 10:10:04 PM »
Exotica (1994)

I agree with what has been said probably a billion times before, this film is a great work of art. The best way I could describe film is that it was a tragic tapestry that was still beautiful to look at (a little pretentious I know). The final reveal kind of left me shaking, I can't remember the last time a film made me feel quite like that. I must say though that I felt the Thomas plotline was left a bit too open and unexplained... or am I just missing something?

Regardless I'm definitely going to check out more of Egoyan's filmography now.

So many great films getting watched. Exotica is on my top 100. You are not missing anything, the Thomas plotline is left open. This is a common Egoyan device.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #20324 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »
Popped in the old VHS and caught some Disney in Hi-Fi as opposed to Hi-Def...

#219.

Alice in Wonderland (Clyde Geronomi, Wilfred Jackson & Hamilton Luske, 1951) -

This was an interesting experience. It was so all over the place and strange. The point I know, but I was never interested in where Alice was going. Looking at it with drugs in mind was hilarious...so many little references that you can make that I won't even mention any here. It was a fun ride thought, just not overly spectacular.

Rating: 2.5/4

#220.

Beauty and the Beast (Gary Trousdale & Kirk Wise, 1991) -

This film is the definition of Disney magic. It is here throughout. Such beautiful imagery, characters, settings, storytelling. Everything is beautiful about this film. Love it, love it, love it.

Rating: 4/4
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #20325 on: September 28, 2009, 10:46:20 PM »

Ossos (Pedro Costa, 1997)

Finally made it through this. I think I've seen the first 30 or 40 minutes of this like three times but something's always stopped me. It definitely reminded me of Bresson except less concentrated. Costa's editing got carried over from Casa de Lava. This shit is really confusing. Well, probably less so, but the editing doesn't really clarify, it probably makes things even more maddening and confusing. Except that they aren't. It's such a dingy film, too, probably the dingiest I've ever seen. Most of it takes in a slum of sorts and the contrast between the white walls of the city apartments and that place is huge. The acting is pretty mannered and stuff. They stand there staring off into space suggesting things that we couldn't possibly guess at. They also smoke a lot. Sometimes it gets a little ridiculous like when The Father just suddenly drops to a bed or when he refuses to move so Tina has to drag him through the floor. Really? That's just weird. While I was mostly just kind of not really interested in what happened, there is this one scene that I found to be completely heartbreaking. The Father sits with his son in some random bathroom stall. He takes small bites out of a sandwich, chews it up and then feeds it to the kid. After he does this, he takes swigs of alcohol. It's so CINECAST!ing sad. Anyway, Costa, you confuzzle me. What do I do with you? TELL ME, SWEET BABY JESUS

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #20326 on: September 28, 2009, 10:55:57 PM »

UberGeekyGirl

• Elite Member
« Reply #20327 on: September 28, 2009, 11:56:27 PM »
Citizen Kane was awesome. Some of the shots are just too pretty.  :)

"Sometimes it's only madness that makes us what we are." - Batman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #20328 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:09 PM »
Citizen Kane was awesome. Some of the shots are just too pretty.  :)

I don't think I've ever heard of Citizen Kane described as "pretty" before... ???
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #20329 on: September 29, 2009, 12:45:28 AM »
The Legends of Rita  2000, Volker Schlöndorff

pretty great.  beats the pants off of The Baader Meinhoff Complex (though i think i want to revisit that one) - more nuanced and humane
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)