love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996728 times)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20480 on: October 03, 2009, 11:43:23 PM »
Cars is so loud and obnoxious. Ovide Video is better than Cars.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20481 on: October 03, 2009, 11:49:07 PM »
As much as I enjoy Shrek and Shrek 2 they will never be able to compete with Pixar films because they reference material and use music popular/indicative of their time.  If I never here All Star again, I think I'll be fine.  And while the best material the Shrek series does make reference to fairytale material, the worst is as bad as All Star.  I still enjoy these two films, but they have not aged well.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #20482 on: October 03, 2009, 11:59:24 PM »
As much as I enjoy Shrek and Shrek 2 they will never be able to compete with Pixar films because they reference material and use music popular/indicative of their time.  If I never here All Star again, I think I'll be fine.  And while the best material the Shrek series does make reference to fairytale material, the worst is as bad as All Star.  I still enjoy these two films, but they have not aged well.

Shrek 2 ain't no good. And All Star and the Tic-Tac line and that Matrix fight scene are just about the only really dated references. Also Lord Farquad is such an amazing character.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20483 on: October 04, 2009, 12:02:22 AM »
Don't get me wrong, they're good, even Shrek 2, but they both haven't aged well for me for those reasons.  And Shrek 3 is actively bad.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #20484 on: October 04, 2009, 02:34:13 AM »
Big Fan 8.5/10

For anyone expecting this to be a comedy, I'd suggest you modify your expectations.  There are certainly funny moments but this movie is pretty dark.  I've heard Patton describe it as a cross between King of Comedy and Taxi Driver and that seems like a pretty good starting point.  Patton is really, really good here, definitely one of the top 5 leading male performances I've seen this year.  Everyone knows his mastery of words but his quiet moments were the ones that really jumped out at me.  The film is a little slow in the middle (odd for a movie that's only around 80 min.) but it all served as a great buildup to the genuinely suspenseful ending.  At times Rob Siegel's inexperience as a director shows, but some of the shots in the film's climax demonstrate some real talent.  It's certainly not a "sports film" - anyone who has ever had any kind of obsession should totally be able to relate to his Paul.  I really dislike Michael Rapaport but this is pretty much a role he was born to play - the obnoxious Eagles fan.  Kevin Corrigan is awesome (really, when isn't he?) as Patton's dopey friend.  The other supporting roles were pretty solid.  If you have a chance to see it, don't hesitate.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #20485 on: October 04, 2009, 05:26:19 AM »
Goodbye Solo (Ramin Bahrani, 2009)

Something of a disappointment after the super awesome Chop Shop. With Chop Shop I loved the specific sense of place, the naturalism, and those kids just broke my heart. Bahrani is known for his realism, but here, perhaps partly because of the Solo character, the film felt very scripted to me. Solo, by the way, is played wonderfully by Souléymane Sy Savané, but I couldn’t help but get a magical negro vibe from the whole thing. And as far as that kind of thing goes, Driving Miss Daisy is more entertaining, in fact the film is kind of Taste of Cherry meets Driving Miss Daisy. Tee-hee, it’s fun to be a smart alec. Anyway, it took a while to warm up to, but by the end I was pretty engaged.  
Grade: B-

Morvern Callar (Lynne Ramsay, 2002)

I’m on the record with my love for Ratcatcher and all things Samantha Morton so I was pretty pumped about this one. It’s good, but only great in moments, I thought. Once they leave Scotland and the film goes into road movie mode, I kind of lost interest. It didn’t knock my socks off from beginning to end, but it is more evidence of Ramsay’s greatness; I can’t wait for her next one.
Grade: B/B+

Trouble the Water (Tia Lessin & Carl Deal, 2008)

Even more than her remarkable footage from the storm, the film’s real ace up its sleeve is Kim Roberts herself. Ultimately, it’s a pretty conventional personal redemption story, but it’s a pretty good one.
Grade: B-  

The Wall (Walter de Hoog, 1962)

Awesome little propaganda film about the first year of life with the Berlin Wall. It plays like an espionage thriller. The footage of people fleeing to the west side of the wall is pretty amazing.
Grade: A-  
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:09:02 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #20486 on: October 04, 2009, 10:25:49 AM »
#223.

Roman Holiday (William Wyler, 1953) -

This was a true joy to watch. I don't think I have seen Audrey Hepburn in anything before, believe it or not, but she was wonderful here, and beautiful, before and after the haircut, it didn't matter. Gregory Peck was great too, but the real star of the movie was the city of Rome. It was a wonderful setting for this fairy tale story. The story I have seen before many times, but that has been in recent years. I don't know my film history that well, but am I wrong to say that this was the first film with this storyline? Because I'm thinking it must be and it is greatly original if so, and that can be proven by how many times it has ben re-done. It was just so much fun.

Rating: 4/4
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20487 on: October 04, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
Surrogates

Kind of dull. It's got some interesting plot twists, Notice how the dead son plotline doesn't mean all that much to the narrative and Mostow does know this concept well, but he uses the "How surrogates do this joke" motif to often, like It's kind of funny seeing them get high, but not really, and jokes like that are used to often(I like the bit where Willis and his partner walk up to a guy and he stands still then looks at them and says "Sorry, I had to use the john")but it also has the two of the worst twists ever. Woah, the prophet is a surrogate. did not see that coming! Nice! Wait, he's james cromwell? why? and Bruce Willis kills everybody, Nice! Wait, they're still alive? Why? Willis is pretty awesome, but it's skippable.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

chesterfilms

• Godfather
« Reply #20488 on: October 04, 2009, 11:08:39 AM »

Mad Love AKA The Hands of Orlac (1935) *** 1/2 /*****

Peter Lori keeps it creepy in his first American film. Directed by famous German cinematographer Karl Freund (The Golem  The Last Laugh and Metropolis Dracula (1931) and Key Largo, and photographed by Gregg Toland! So, this thing looks pretty great. Colin Clive is a famous pianist who looses his hands in an accident, and Dr. Gogo (Lori) gives him a hands transplant with the hands of an executed murderer. Really fun movie.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #20489 on: October 04, 2009, 01:17:27 PM »
Big Fan 8.5/10

For anyone expecting this to be a comedy, I'd suggest you modify your expectations.  There are certainly funny moments but this movie is pretty dark.  I've heard Patton describe it as a cross between King of Comedy and Taxi Driver and that seems like a pretty good starting point.  Patton is really, really good here, definitely one of the top 5 leading male performances I've seen this year.  Everyone knows his mastery of words but his quiet moments were the ones that really jumped out at me.  The film is a little slow in the middle (odd for a movie that's only around 80 min.) but it all served as a great buildup to the genuinely suspenseful ending.  At times Rob Siegel's inexperience as a director shows, but some of the shots in the film's climax demonstrate some real talent.  It's certainly not a "sports film" - anyone who has ever had any kind of obsession should totally be able to relate to his Paul.  I really dislike Michael Rapaport but this is pretty much a role he was born to play - the obnoxious Eagles fan.  Kevin Corrigan is awesome (really, when isn't he?) as Patton's dopey friend.  The other supporting roles were pretty solid.  If you have a chance to see it, don't hesitate.

I saw this last weekend and absolutely loved it. I had pretty much the same response you did. Siegel does have a lot to learn about directing but he is a writer that will get me to buy a ticket to anything at this point, he also wrote The Wrestler. I really don't like Patton at all. I think King of Queens is stupid and am not impressed when he guests on Reno 911 but he was great in this film. I really think this could be quite successful with a wider release.  Big Fan Review

I also finally got to see Inglourious Basterds. My new #1 film of the year. Col. Hans Landa is one of the best characters in recent cinema history. Inglourious Basterds Review
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

love