love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997884 times)

chesterfilms

• Godfather
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20560 on: October 05, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »

The Fly (1986) ****/*****

It has been a very long time since I had seen this film, and I really liked it. Reminded me at times, quite a bit of Videodrome. Goldblum was great and was the absolute perfect choice for the roll. Completely different from the original two films (which I love), but I always enjoy a great remake that takes the story in a whole new direction.
What? What are you talking about? It's girls and spaghetti. We love girls and spaghetti.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #20561 on: October 05, 2009, 09:15:24 PM »
What in the world is that poster?

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20562 on: October 05, 2009, 09:47:11 PM »

As a rule, I have never walked out of/turned off a movie after I started it. I feel like the filmmaker deserves the benefit of the doubt right up to the final frame. That being said, I have never come CLOSER than I did with this film. I don't feel like going into it because it plain doesn't even deserve that much, but if you're really interested let me know and I'll post up some deeper analysis.

this is the most reprehensible, disgusting, mysogynistic, stupid, offensive pile of sh*t I have ever had the misfortune of watching. It is the second worst movie ever made (after tran 2). Avoid it at all costs.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #20563 on: October 05, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »
Terminator (James Cameron, 1984)

Fun! This is something I'd never watch on my own and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I fell in love with Linda Hamilton immediately with those huge puppy dog eyes. Michael Biehn was adequate. Are all of the sequels set in the future? I think the reason I loved this one was because its in a familiar setting. I'm not necessarily looking forward to watching Terminator Salvation in December, but I might actually be interested in watching T2 on my own sometime.

Grade: B+
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #20564 on: October 05, 2009, 09:56:42 PM »
#226.

Coraline (Henry Selick, 2009) -

The animation and look of the film is amazing, no doubt. However, I was quite bored with the story at times and that hurts. It is very bizarre, very strange, and very creepy. Too much so on all accounts for my liking. It wasn't bad, just not great. It was actually quite terrifying.

Rating: 2/4...#44 of 2009 so far

This review doesn't make it seem bad but you gave it 2/4. I loved this film and the book even more. What didn't you like about it?

I've never been a fan of that creepy, scary kind of stuff. It can be done in ways where I will when it works with a story I'm interested in, but here I just didn't care what was going to happen next. Like I said, I did like the look of the film, and maybe that warrants an extra half-star, but a 2/4 on my scale basically means I liked it, but wouldn't watch it again. And that pretty accurately describes my feelings toward the film. Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention, but the only reason that would have happened is if it didn't catch my attention enough in the first half-hour to garner an edge of my seat close viewing. I have no regrets.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #20565 on: October 05, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »

As a rule, I have never walked out of/turned off a movie after I started it. I feel like the filmmaker deserves the benefit of the doubt right up to the final frame. That being said, I have never come CLOSER than I did with this film. I don't feel like going into it because it plain doesn't even deserve that much, but if you're really interested let me know and I'll post up some deeper analysis.

this is the most reprehensible, disgusting, mysogynistic, stupid, offensive pile of sh*t I have ever had the misfortune of watching. It is the second worst movie ever made (after tran 2). Avoid it at all costs.

I understand that it is offensive, but is it at least interesting? Does the story fit together comprehensibly? I want to watch it to see what all the fuss is about, but not if its boring.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20566 on: October 05, 2009, 10:01:15 PM »

I understand that it is offensive, but is it at least interesting? Does the story fit together comprehensibly? I want to watch it to see what all the fuss is about, but not if its boring.

there is no story really. They find the zombie girl rape her a bunch then get friends to rape her. It is not interesting in any way.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20567 on: October 05, 2009, 10:06:11 PM »
I somehow conned my Media/Society group members and teachers into doing a Vampire themed project. So it's the month of vampires for me.

Kicking it off is Night Watch.

Such a mind numbingly terrible film, there are zero redeeming factors to be found in Night Watch.
I really like the book so I'll admit bias. Still man, that second half was amazing, one of the best buildups to a climax I've seen in a while.

Day Watch is tomorrow, although I just finished watching it, for those interested.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #20568 on: October 05, 2009, 10:23:27 PM »
Terminator (James Cameron, 1984)

Fun! This is something I'd never watch on my own and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I fell in love with Linda Hamilton immediately with those huge puppy dog eyes. Michael Biehn was adequate. Are all of the sequels set in the future? I think the reason I loved this one was because its in a familiar setting. I'm not necessarily looking forward to watching Terminator Salvation in December, but I might actually be interested in watching T2 on my own sometime.

Grade: B+

T2 is set about 10-15 years after T1, so mid 90's. If you thought T1 was fun, I'd say there's a good chance T2 will make you very very happy. ;D My only fear is that you will see Salvation first, and hate it so much that you'll never see T2.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20569 on: October 05, 2009, 10:41:24 PM »
The Big Lebowski

Since I'm not actually going to write like a full review here's just a bunch of random thoughts:

-The Dude isn't as laid back as I expected, kinda gets pissed a lot but it's totally justified. That rug really did tie the room together.
-The Cowboy? What? Really?
-Yay for crazy Coens with restrained violence. My favorite variety.
-Bowling dream sequences = totally awesome
-"Shut the Cinecast! up, Donny!"
-Jesus introduction is probably the greatest Coen Bros. scene ever.
-How the hell do the Coen Bros. disguise the actors so well? Was that really Julianne Moore? And how did I miss John Turturro??
-Folgers scene is both hilarious and cringworthy. Maybe my least favorite Coen scene. Kinda spiteful.
-Not as laugh filled, but that's not a bad thing.
-"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

love