Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997241 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20570 on: October 05, 2009, 10:42:50 PM »
The Big Lebowski

Your first time? If so, I assume you already know you can't fully love it until the 6th viewing.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #20571 on: October 05, 2009, 10:50:29 PM »
I've only liked Pee-Wee's, but I have wanted to see Ed Wood and Big Fish since I have not. Everything else I've seen directed by him I have not particularly enjoyed.

I'm of the opinion that Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is his best film (Ed Wood is also very good), so you're still ok in my book.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20572 on: October 05, 2009, 10:56:56 PM »
The Big Lebowski

Your first time? If so, I assume you already know you can't fully love it until the 6th viewing.
  ???

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #20573 on: October 05, 2009, 11:01:11 PM »
I liked it the first time.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #20574 on: October 05, 2009, 11:01:28 PM »
This is insane. Corndog, you're letting me down left and right tonight.

I'm putting my foot down...no more peer pressure, just brutally honest opinions...Jim Rome style.

Are you going to mix in the long pregnant                        pauses?

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #20575 on: October 06, 2009, 01:31:49 AM »
I somehow conned my Media/Society group members and teachers into doing a Vampire themed project. So it's the month of vampires for me.

Kicking it off is Night Watch.

Such a mind numbingly terrible film, there are zero redeeming factors to be found in Night Watch.
I really like the book so I'll admit bias. Still man, that second half was amazing, one of the best buildups to a climax I've seen in a while.

Day Watch is tomorrow, although I just finished watching it, for those interested.

Found DW to be a disappointment after NW. And yeah, the end it fantastic.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #20576 on: October 06, 2009, 02:00:40 AM »
Toy Story & Toy Story 2 in 3D 10/10; 9/10

I was very excited for this double feature because even though I've seen Toy Story a million times, I was a kid the last time I saw it on the big screen.  I've always preferred the original to the sequel but I've only watched 2 a handful of times so I was interested to see my feelings seeing them back-to-back.  I'll start off by saying that the 3D really didn't add anything to Toy Story at all.  I actually would've preferred it in 2D.  Toy Story 2 worked a little better in 3D, but in a subtle way.  The fantastic textures of the world really jumped out at me and it was really like seeing the film for the first time.  I'm not sure if I would've had the same reaction to 2D but I suspect that the higher quality of animation had a lot to do with it.  The intermission was fun, full of trivia and little clips that I remember as bumps on ABC Saturday Morning programming (they're all included in the nice box set).  Despite the fact that 2 looks better, I still prefer the original, mostly for story based reasons.  All in all, the 3 hrs. flew by but it's way too long to wear those damn glasses.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #20577 on: October 06, 2009, 02:06:25 AM »
What in the world is that poster?
Frickin' weird, that's what that poster is! Wow!

The Fly (1986) ****/*****
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #20578 on: October 06, 2009, 12:38:27 PM »
Gangs of New York (2002, Martin Scorsese)

I've always been curious about this movie.  But it came and went.  I nearly forgot about it until There Will Be Blood put a renewed spotlight on Daniel Day Lewis.  Many people told me his performance in GONY was better - so I finally caught up with it.  As is my normal practice, I've managed to keep almost completely oblivious to what the movie was a about and who was in it.  For instance I had no idea Cameron Diaz was in it until she showed up a 1/2 hour in.  

Well, I come out rather torn on this one.  First off it is a very solid film.  Great cinematography, awesome set designs, sprawling battle scenes, pretty engaging story, good characters, and a pretty informative look at mid 1800's New York (assuming there is any truth to how it is characterized).   You have to think coming off this film - man what the heck am I complaining about?  I'm offended by something?  Oh boo hoo me.  It also makes you wonder how anyone had any optimism at all for a better life.  Another lesson for me as I grow older and start getting pessimistic about our current outlook.  

We are left with the usual lessons about the cycle of violence and the short sighted nature of revenge - (and like many movies with lessons about violence, we're subjected to 2 hours of it for our entertainment first! :P).  It also did a nice job of contexualizing the conflicts of our characters in a nation in civil war, problems of immigration, and racial unrest.  There were some interesting Bridge on the River Kwai-esque questions it asked about loyalty and motives

I again have this problem I always find in Scorsese movies: why do I need these constant flashbacks?  these random voice overs?   The plots kind of ramble forward like a drunk walking home from a bar.   Besides Bill the Butcher, the rest of our characters are way too familiar: son bent on revenge, hooker with a heart of gold, irish cop on the take.  So not sure where I stand on that - on one hand, that's the story, but on the other hand, why am I interested?  It also is a particularly violent film.  We are spared from it becoming too Tarantino-esque - there are a few times you are on the edge of your seat expecting the worst and you are releaved that the story goes a different direction.  

Despite these complaints.  There are a lot of really great moments - the theater scene for one, and when DiCaprio wakes up with DD Lewis at this bedside, another one where Irish enlistees are being loaded in a boat while caskets are being hauled off.   It must be said Daniel Day Lewis just commands every scene that he's in and Scorcese does a great job having you really on the edge of your seat every time Bill Cutter interacts with someone - you never know just how it's going to turn out.

Diaz didn't pull me out of the film that much, but I could help but have my mind drift thinking of a better actress for the role.  

But one thing was almost comical.  Day-Lewis, DiCaprio and Diaz never had the same accent from scene to scene.  At first I thought it was intentional - as people slipped in and out of different environments they spoke to match the time and place.  But after a while it just got to be hard to ignore.  I was pretty surprised by the sloppiness of this particular aspect of a film where clearly there was so much attention to detail.    

Anways: Grade: low  B+ is guess.   Very high quality film, really educational about a certain time in America, one very memorable character, but all in all one that I'm guessing I'll never choose to revisit.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:42:10 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #20579 on: October 06, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »
The Brothers Bloom (Rian Johnson, 2008)

I pretty much loved it. The fun, energetic style of the first half really sucked me into the story and got me on board with the characters. The writing is really snappy and entertaining, which is what I had hoped for based on Brick. I really enjoyed the way the cons were played and explained (or not explained), always keeping you guessing on what the real game was. There's a point where I felt like things started getting too muddled and it was impossible to keep straight what logic was being employed, but I'm hoping that on repeat viewings that will be cleared up somewhat. With that said, I did love that things weren't spelled out for the audience and that there's a lot of ambiguity and hints that leave from for different interpretations.

Johnson has really impressed me, probably even more so than with Brick. Aside from the great writing and direction, I got the feeling from the movie that he had a strong vision and really took full advantage of the ideas he was working with. He's 2 for 2.