love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997002 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20870 on: October 14, 2009, 02:44:34 PM »
Robocop

I'm sorry, but I don't see any reason why someone would want to watch this. Maybe camp value? Not for me.

Grade: D

Such an awesome movie, intellectually and all kinds of stuff goes kablooey!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #20871 on: October 14, 2009, 03:37:20 PM »
Just watched Trick r Treat. 
Possibly the best movie dropped by a major studio and released straight to DVD.  I guess Warner Bros. doesn't like to make money.

Not a Great, Great film.  But a real fun one with scares, surprises and some quality filmmaking.  It's really the only film you should think about watching on Halloween night.

I know, I posted this elsewhere but I really want to get the word out.  It's a studio film that satisfies both the hardcore horror junkies and the casual horror watcher.  I will always champion a film that stays within the studio system and still manages to come off as original and effective.  It's not as good as The Descent, [REC] or 28 Days Later, but it's the best Horror film from Hollywood since I don't know when.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #20872 on: October 14, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Having horror movie double features at our house Monday's in October.  The other day:

There's Nothing Out There

Fantastic horror spoof.  Hits all the right notes.  Is predictably terrible, but very funny in its terribleness.  This is totally an overlooked film and pretty hard to find, but well worth checking out.

Evil Dead 2

Simply amazing.  The camera work is astounding.  Bruce Campbell is great.  It's just so much fun.  One of my all-time favorites.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #20873 on: October 14, 2009, 04:22:56 PM »
The Girlfriend Experience (Steven Soderbergh, 2009)

Pretty great. I did get bored with all the financial talk, which only led me to identify with Chelsea more. My favorite scenes were when her "mask" slipped, and I could actually see some feeling. I think Ms. Grey did a very good job within the context of the role.

Grade: A
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20874 on: October 14, 2009, 04:37:59 PM »
Just watched Trick r Treat.  
Possibly the best movie dropped by a major studio and released straight to DVD.  I guess Warner Bros. doesn't like to make money.

Not a Great, Great film.  But a real fun one with scares, surprises and some quality filmmaking.  It's really the only film you should think about watching on Halloween night.

I know, I posted this elsewhere but I really want to get the word out.  It's a studio film that satisfies both the hardcore horror junkies and the casual horror watcher.  I will always champion a film that stays within the studio system and still manages to come off as original and effective.  It's not as good as The Descent, [REC] or 28 Days Later, but it's the best Horror film from Hollywood since I don't know when.

I totally agree I love Trick 'r Treat and it is a travesty what the studio did to its distribution.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:01:55 PM by Clovis8 »

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #20875 on: October 14, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »
Robocop

I'm sorry, but I don't see any reason why someone would want to watch this. Maybe camp value? Not for me.

Grade: D

I'd argue that it has plenty of themes that are still very relevant today.  I also don't think it's very campy (except maybe the melting dude).

exskiman

« Reply #20876 on: October 14, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »
Double feature of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset.
Both: F

Aren't these just the absolute worst films ever created? I mean you will watch them and either: A. Think that whatever relationship you are in has nothing close to that or B. Feel even worse that you are alone. I fall into the latter category. No but really, two great films that do deserve all of the praise I have heard about them. I am not really a fan of the love story but the acting and dialogue is so great and you get to see Vienna. The first is better than the second but Before Sunset is a really great sequel and as for the whole should they make another one every nine years, let me throw my vote into the yes column (sure they could screw it up but then I'll just pretend it never happened, and I am sure a lot of people did not want then to make the 1st sequel and well it was great).
Before Sunrise: A+
Before Sunset: A-
During Brunch: Only time will tell.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #20877 on: October 14, 2009, 06:10:20 PM »

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #20878 on: October 14, 2009, 06:21:53 PM »
The Girlfriend Experience (Steven Soderbergh, 2009)

Pretty great. I did get bored with all the financial talk, which only led me to identify with Chelsea more. My favorite scenes were when her "mask" slipped, and I could actually see some feeling. I think Ms. Grey did a very good job within the context of the role.

Grade: A

agreed
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #20879 on: October 14, 2009, 06:27:52 PM »

Did you forget to say something, or does this belong on the other thread? :)

love