love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996950 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20910 on: October 15, 2009, 01:25:25 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's my list.

Love seeing Léon there: Natalie in one of the best child performances ever.

I totally agree. Between Leon and Beautiful Girls she was great as a child.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #20911 on: October 15, 2009, 01:40:58 PM »
Night Of The Living Dead (1968) ****
http://billsmovieemporium.wordpress.com/2009/10/15/review-night-of-the-living-dead-1968/

The social commentary is there, the zombies are there, the atmosphere is there, and all combine to form awesomeness in zombie form. I'm a huge fan of the dead series, even if the last couple were less than stellar, and Night is where it all started. Wonderfully made movie, creating a new genre, or maybe modifying an old one depending on how you look at it, and creating the rules for modern zombies as we know them. Sure, the commentary is great and this is an all-time great for a reason, but when you look past all of that Night is a lot of fun and that was more than enough for me.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20912 on: October 15, 2009, 04:32:37 PM »
Hey Sam, Action month might be a good time for you to finally write something about Demolition Man too. :)
Yea. I should do that regardless. I might do it at the end of the month once I get this vampire stuff out of the way.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #20913 on: October 15, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »
Hey Sam, Action month might be a good time for you to finally write something about Demolition Man too. :)
Yea. I should do that regardless. I might do it at the end of the month once I get this vampire stuff out of the way.
...and your MDC?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20914 on: October 15, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »
...and your MDC?
Yea, that one too. I was thinking about posting it on Halloween.

flieger

« Reply #20915 on: October 15, 2009, 07:00:01 PM »

The Goonies (Richard Donner, 1985)

Absentee parents. Restless children. Tie-ins. Pirate map. Criminal family. Rube Goldberg contraptions. Treasure.

All this should combine to make at the least an enjoyable, light-hearted caper. It doesn't. Richard Donner's direction is leaden and dull. The first 40-50 minutes is taken up with the excruciatingly poorly paced extrapolation of the main plot points: dislocation, anxiety, boredom, treasure map; escape, chase, hideout and on and on it goes, in pointless detail after detail. The characters are crudely drawn, and never really escape from the first impressions we make of them. The asthmatic dreamer, the realist big brother [and replacement father-figure], the clumsy fat kid, the tech-geek, the motormouth, and some girls [really, that's all I could make of them]. They talk endlessly, which can be fine, but the talk interests me very little. It's the sort of talk that people who feel the need to pointlessly say everything they're thinking indulge in, and has no movie-rhythm or pacing to make it fun.
The acting is, well, broad. Broadness, too, can be fine, but it needs to be anchored by other elements of the film, like a focused plot, a tight script, or any sort of emotional truth or depth for the viewer to empathise with. There's none. For me, all the kids were awful, as were all the adults. Even the skeletons started to sh*t me by the third act.
The exteriors were shot poorly, remarkably making the Oregon coast look, well, boring. The interiors were even worse, with the awful old cafe segueing into the ugly succession of fake amusement park caves.
The film starts slowly, drags through the character intros, and then, amazingly, when "stuff" starts to happen, it never breaks out of a slow, slow trot. One pointless arcade game obstacle after another is dispatched, with all the style and pacing of a torture chamber. Then, to wring more pain out of the deep wounds inflicted on the viewer, the finale is so unbelievably drawn out [I timed it: 8 minutes on the beach, which I could have sworn went for twice that], so flagrantly manipulative and sentimental, with each plot point being resolved in agonising, Bruckheimer-esque detail, that I was begging Donner to stop it. Please Richard, please. Make it stop. He did, only to inflict Cyndi Lauper on me. Sick b*st*rd.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20916 on: October 15, 2009, 07:03:40 PM »

Absentee parents. Restless children. Tie-ins. Pirate map. Criminal family. Rube Goldberg contraptions. Treasure.

All this should combine to make at the least an enjoyable, light-hearted caper. It doesn't. Richard Donner's direction is leaden and dull. The first 40-50 minutes is taken up with the excruciatingly poorly paced extrapolation of the main plot points: dislocation, anxiety, boredom, treasure map; escape, chase, hideout and on and on it goes, in pointless detail after detail. The characters are crudely drawn, and never really escape from the first impressions we make of them. The asthmatic dreamer, the realist big brother [and replacement father-figure], the clumsy fat kid, the tech-geek, the motormouth, and some girls [really, that's all I could make of them]. They talk endlessly, which can be fine, but the talk interests me very little. It's the sort of talk that people who feel the need to pointlessly say everything they're thinking indulge in, and has no movie-rhythm or pacing to make it fun.
The acting is, well, broad. Broadness, too, can be fine, but it needs to be anchored by other elements of the film, like a focused plot, a tight script, or any sort of emotional truth or depth for the viewer to empathise with. There's none. For me, all the kids were awful, as were all the adults. Even the skeletons started to sh*t me by the third act.
The exteriors were shot poorly, remarkably making the Oregon coast look, well, boring. The interiors were even worse, with the awful old cafe segueing into the ugly succession of fake amusement park caves.
The film starts slowly, drags through the character intros, and then, amazingly, when "stuff" starts to happen, it never breaks out of a slow, slow trot. One pointless arcade game obstacle after another is dispatched, with all the style and pacing of a torture chamber. Then, to wring more pain out of the deep wounds inflicted on the viewer, the finale is so unbelievably drawn out [I timed it: 8 minutes on the beach, which I could have sworn went for twice that], so flagrantly manipulative and sentimental, with each plot point being resolved in agonising, Bruckheimer-esque detail, that I was begging Donner to stop it. Please Richard, please. Make it stop. He did, only to inflict Cyndi Lauper on me. Sick b*st*rd.

This makes me sad.  My 9th favorite film of all time.  This movie is so good, I watched it two days ago.  Still great. 

Grade A+
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

flieger

« Reply #20917 on: October 15, 2009, 07:07:08 PM »
I knew you'd be on to me... just not that fast. You were the reason I went back to it, to rewatch the film after 23 years, and look what you did to me!

On the other hand, I didn't like the film that much when I saw it in the cinemas at the age of 11-12, so it looks as if nothing has changed there. Again, that could say something either good or bad about the progression of my taste levels from childhood to adulthood... hmmmm.  :P

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #20918 on: October 15, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »

This makes me sad.  My 9th favorite film of all time.  This movie is so good, I watched it two days ago.  Still great.  

Grade A+

I'm going to have to side with flieger on this one.  Sorry Chris.  I've noticed I agree with you most of the time - but not this time!  :)

Like flieger, I saw this at a young age in the theater.  Just never did much for me.  
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20919 on: October 15, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »
 :'(

My soul hurts.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

love