Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997961 times)

flieger

Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20920 on: October 15, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »
"Goonies never say die!"  ;)

flieger

« Reply #20921 on: October 15, 2009, 07:27:06 PM »

The Boondock Saints (Troy Duffy, 1999)

I also watched the first fifteen(?) minutes of this. Right up to the bit where Willem Dafoe turns on his portable CD player at the first crime scene.

I then stopped.

God. CINECASTing. Awful.

Deleted it from my laptop. No regrets, except for having attempted in the first place.

Does it get better? Don't care. I'm only writing this up for posterity, so I can actually, one day, remember that I at least tried to watch it.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #20922 on: October 15, 2009, 07:29:29 PM »
No, it only gets worse. IT WAS A FIREFIGHT!

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20923 on: October 15, 2009, 07:30:09 PM »
There are little bits of cool in it, but no you're not missing anything.  Pretty lame stuff.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

flieger

« Reply #20924 on: October 15, 2009, 07:33:22 PM »
This is turning into a confessional thread for me. All the crap movies I've watched while joining this forum, when I could be going through roujin or worm@work's top 100s. I am ashamed.  :-[

One, or two more to come, though. If I have the stones...

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #20925 on: October 15, 2009, 07:35:04 PM »
There's basically no defense for The Goonies that isn't founded in nostalgia.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #20926 on: October 15, 2009, 08:14:56 PM »
:'(

My soul hurts.

There, there.  I think it's a classic!
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20927 on: October 15, 2009, 08:18:08 PM »
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

flieger

« Reply #20928 on: October 15, 2009, 08:36:01 PM »

Shoot 'Em Up (Michael Davis, 2007)

Then this. Yes, I know it's a satire. The pushing of the boundaries of "credibility", "reality", "genre tropes" to previously unseen il/logical conclusions.

Most of all, I'm happy that vlcplayer on a MacBook is so easy to skip ahead in increments of 10 seconds, or 1 minute.

I'm confident I missed very little during the gunplay that was crucial to the plot. I might have missed a few Larry David-esque complaints from Clive Owen, but not too many to get the gist. I'm pretty sure there was no dialogue as scintillatingly delivered as Hard Boiled's Tequila [Chow Yun Fat] saying to the baby "you saved the day you little piss-pot", but I could be wrong.

I know for a fact that Michael Davis' direction, while solid, had none of the witty flourishes and melodrama of John Woo's gunplay films. But then, Michael Davis, acknowledging Woo, is not about to stop and think as hard as that. He wants to go a lot further. He does go further, technically and metaphysically, but he also loses the central human dramas that make Woo's films so damn fun and funny, to the mechanics and the physics of the film-as-a-film. Which is why I kept pressing the hotkeys on my Mac.
After the first gunfight I knew I would lose nothing by skipping and just getting the bare bones of the fights. There was no drama, there was no excitement, there was no giddy glee and silliness that come with the true masters. Just cool stuff. I'm old. I want more.
As the bodies piled up [and pile up they do] I was impressed by the daring nature of the mass-killing, and I realised there was a subtext going on. Somewhere. But, it was just a little too meta, and way too undercooked when it came to, y'know, human things, interesting things.

Hence the fast-forward buttons.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20929 on: October 15, 2009, 09:03:47 PM »

The Boondock Saints (Troy Duffy, 1999)

I also watched the first fifteen(?) minutes of this. Right up to the bit where Willem Dafoe turns on his portable CD player at the first crime scene.

I then stopped.

God. CINECASTing. Awful.

Deleted it from my laptop. No regrets, except for having attempted in the first place.

Does it get better? Don't care. I'm only writing this up for posterity, so I can actually, one day, remember that I at least tried to watch it.

The Boondock Saints is a "great film" for people who know little about film.

Here is my rendition of a top five films by the average Boondock lover:

1) Shawshank Redemption defense: "F*cking awesome movie! Anyone who doesnt think this is the best movie ever made is a moron. Check the IMDB list idiot" [they dont want to say Boondock is their favorite so they say this because they think it gives them cred]

2) Boondock Saints defense: "F*cking awesome movie! hey dude its totally awesome. It like totally does what that Tarantino guy tried to do but WAAAY better. Did you see Pulp Fiction, so lame, way too much talking. Boondock rocks. F*cking awesome shootouts!"

3) Godfather defense: "F*cking awesome movie! That horse head scene rules" [this is the only scene they can mention because they have never actually seen the movie]

4) Amelie defense: "F*cking awesome movie! dude if you dont watch foreign films then you dont know shit about movies" [this being the only subtitled film they have ever seen and only because they thought it would help them get in the pants of that hot co-ed]

5) Harold and Kumar go to White Castle defense: "F*cking awesome movie! funniest movie ever made. Those dudes are just like me and my buds" [like the previous 4 items on the list spoken through a haze of pot smoke]

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:19:40 PM by Clovis8 »