Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996709 times)

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20950 on: October 16, 2009, 02:11:23 AM »
Hmm... am I the only person that can't CINECAST!ing stand True Romance?  As in... hated every minute of it.

flieger

« Reply #20951 on: October 16, 2009, 02:32:33 AM »
Ghostbusters

Grade A+

Yes!  Agree!  :) 

Back the days before you could find this movie at Target on DVD for $5, you had to actually GO to the movies to see the move.  I saw this 9 straight weeks in a row that summer.  I can quote every line. 

Hard. Core.
I'm impressed, ferris!  8)

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #20952 on: October 16, 2009, 03:27:02 AM »
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #20953 on: October 16, 2009, 05:00:44 AM »
Where The Wild Things Are - The Marie Antoinette of 2009.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #20954 on: October 16, 2009, 05:02:45 AM »

I'm not sure what this means ??? I'm guessing looks really good but no substance?
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #20955 on: October 16, 2009, 05:08:22 AM »
Yeah, something like that.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #20956 on: October 16, 2009, 09:46:53 AM »

I'm not sure what this means ??? I'm guessing looks really good but no substance?

See, I thought Marie Antoinette did have substance. I just had a big problem with the substance it was displaying.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20957 on: October 16, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »
Hmm... am I the only person that can't CINECAST!ing stand True Romance?  As in... hated every minute of it.

yes

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #20958 on: October 16, 2009, 12:14:01 PM »
Beowulf

— At first, it just seemed like a normal hero story with a super-arrogant lead character—kind of a Van Damme in animation.  But it kept me interested and the payoff was worth it—I noted at the end that it’s a Neil Gaiman script.  The animation was really distracting, though.  I kept thinking that it should be Shrek. 3/5

Seventh Seal

— Honestly, I’m about ready to give up on Ingmar Bergman.  I’ve seen three or four of his, and none of them were compelling for me.  This one was probably the most interesting, but in the end, I just didn’t care about what happened to any of them.  I did really enjoy Gunnar Bjornstrand as a classic fool, but the basic message of life as being a prelude to death has been done better, in my opinion.  3/5

Reservoir Dogs

--  The seeds of QT’s style is here, certainly.  But it doesn’t deal with any of the important themes that Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill deal with.  Completely intense, though.  3.5/5

Bottle Rocket

—It was interesting watching this right after Reservoir Dogs.  Both deal with heists that get screwed up, but the tone of the movies couldn’t be more different.  I really enjoyed Wes Anderson’s direction here, perhaps the best I’ve seen of him.  The Wilson brothers are funny (although Owen was better in The Life Aquatic) but I’ve never cared for the “I’m so stupid I’m funny” shtick.  Overall, though, it’s really enjoyable. 3.5/5

Redbeard

—Easily the best film I’ve seen in more than a month.  It pulls you from comedy to pathos to admiration to tears of happiness.  (I still had tears seeping from my eyes a half hour after the movie). The more Kurosawa films I see, the more amazed I become.  Everything he touches, it seems, is gold.  He can do serious drama, comedy, war, and it all draws me in.  Here, a medical drama in rural Japan, he deals with compassion and how it changes the world for good.  Every character was perfect, each storyline laid out with precision, each conversation was compelling.  Even the martial arts scene in the middle of the film was wonderful—I think it was a nod to Mifune’s early career of playing warriors—Yes, it broke the stream of the film, but it was hilarious.  The only distracting thing in the film was Mifune’s habit of stroking his beard.  Well, I suppose Mifune has to have something over the top in each film. The outstanding actor, in my opinion, is Terumi Niki who played the 12 year old who is rescued from a brothel.  Every scene she was in was  I will be sorely disappointed when I have no more Kurosawa films to watch.  But I guess I still have about ten to go.  :)  5/5

Let The Right One In

—I figured I’d check out one more off beat horror film.  This Swedish film was made well, and it was often surprising, but rather than being horror- or dread-inducing, I ended it being deeply disturbed over it.  Throughout, it takes such a casual stance on murder—that perhaps it is awful, but it was necessary.  It is trying to develop such a sense of sympathy for a serial killer, and then we are supposed to be content with a small boy taking the place of the older man who murdered for the eternal twelve year old.  There is no sacrifice, no real heroism.  Just a casual mood of, “it’s sad, but that’s just the way it is.”  Again, a good film, great acting, good direction, and I liked the town covered in snow throughout, but I can’t recommend it.  I suppose this is why I don’t watch or read vampire stories anymore.  4/5 or 1/5
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:18:02 PM by stevekimes »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #20959 on: October 16, 2009, 12:24:07 PM »

yes

But it's so... awful.