love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997238 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #20980 on: October 16, 2009, 05:28:26 PM »
Where the Wild Things Are
Dir. Spike Jonze

Magnificent.  This film is childhood.  Beautiful, terrifying, confusing, irrational and wild.  There is so much I want to say, but the film left me in such a strange place.  Instead of shouting from the hills and using fifty cent words to describe it, I just wanted to set.  Be still.  I wanted to reflect on what is surely the best movie I've seen this year, and what is the boldest movie I've seen in a while.

What I will say is this.  I have yet to find anything I didn't like about the film.  I can't call it perfect, but I can't find fault either.  The music/score is really magical and fits the action and emotion like a glove or maybe a well fitted bra, as it supports and lifts as well.  And the photography?  Lance Accord better get nominated, he's my current front runner.  

Grade A

As a side note, I did set for a while.  I sat and thought on it for over 2 hours.  Lots of reflection time needed for it but I do love it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 05:43:15 PM by CSSCHNEIDER »
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #20981 on: October 16, 2009, 05:32:02 PM »

Maybe they could make the bfore sunrise/ sunset series into something like the 49 up series?

YES!  Well, maybe.  Only if they didn't suck.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20982 on: October 16, 2009, 05:36:05 PM »
Dir. Spike Jonze

Magnificent.  This film is childhood.  Beautiful, terrifying, confusing, irrational and wild.  There is so much I want to say, but the film left me in such a strange place.  Instead of shouting from the hills and using fifty cent words to describe it, I just wanted to set.  Be still.  I wanted to reflect on what is surely the best movie I've seen this year, and what is the boldest movie I've seen in a while.

What I will say is this.  I have yet to find anything I didn't like about the film.  I can't call it perfect, but I can't find fault either.  The music/score is really magical and fits the action and emotion like a glove or maybe a well fitted bra, as it supports and lifts as well.  And the photography?  Lance Accord better get nominated, he's my current front runner. 

Grade A

This makes me insanely happy.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #20983 on: October 16, 2009, 06:14:11 PM »
Bright Star (2009, Jane Campion)

This might just be Campion's best film and I don't really want to say that because Angel and Friends mean a lot to me.

Saw it again.  I feel that this is my third favorite Campion behind Angel and FriendsStar doesn't kick me in the gut emotionally as the other two, and my emotional response to the film in terms of the subject was decidedly weaker this time around.  With that said, the wonderful sense of place, texture, light still adds up to a romantic aesthetic experience, no question.  Cornish's performance is the standout from the cast.  Less impressed by Schneider and Fox this time.  I can't really think of anything to analyze.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #20984 on: October 16, 2009, 06:36:48 PM »
Seventh Seal
— Honestly, I’m about ready to give up on Ingmar Bergman.  I’ve seen three or four of his, and none of them were compelling for me.  This one was probably the most interesting, but in the end, I just didn’t care about what happened to any of them.  I did really enjoy Gunnar Bjornstrand as a classic fool, but the basic message of life as being a prelude to death has been done better, in my opinion.  3/5

I had a very difficult time with Bergman too.  My first 2 experiences were Persona and Seventh Seal and I felt like one of 5 people who didn't understand his greatness.  
Then I watched Autumn Sonata which was 1/2 compelling.  And I thought that more modern Bergman was perhaps the way to go.  My next film was Scenes From A Marriage, and that's the one that did it.  It's one of my Top 100 and unlocked the Bergman puzzle for me.

I've seen Fanny and Alexander, one of his most praised-- twice!-- and it just didn't do anything for me.  But I'd be willing to try Scenes from a Marriage.  I just don't have much hope at this point.   :(

Have you seen Winter Light or Wild Strawberries, steve? Those are two of my favorites. I loved Fanny and Alexander (the TV version), but I think I know what you mean about Persona and The Seventh Seal - I found them brilliant but much less personally compelling than Winter Light or Wild Strawberries. I'd be interested in your take, especially, on Winter Light since the protagonist there is a pastor, too, dealing very fundamental spiritual questions.

I watched the first half hour of Winter Light, got doing something else and never went back to it.  If you recommend it, I'll try it again. Wild Strawberries is on my queue.  I'm just afraid that I'm going to end up watching a lot of Bergman and just never appreciating him.

I do recommend them both. Anyway, I'd hate to see you give up on Bergman before you watch those two.  :)
Joe Johnson talked about Winter Light on one of the Watching Theology podcasts as part 1 of his "silence of God" series - a really fascinating view into the film, I thought; you might check it out after watching the film.

Bergman is not for everyone, I love everyone of his films but won't push them on anyone. I do suggest watching Wild Strawberries though, I think it is one of his most accessible.

And here is my Alien review
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 06:39:02 PM by NedMeier »
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #20985 on: October 16, 2009, 07:08:24 PM »

Paranormal Activity

***1/2 /****

I think this movie is BRILLIANT! I am never scared in horror films and this was scary as hell. It was so well done. The slow burn was perfect. The anticipation it built was really well done. Amazing what can be done for 15K. This is WAY better than the big budget horror films that come out. Read nothing and don't watch the trailer but go see this movie!

More reinforcement for my theory that quality and budget are inversely correlated when it comes to movies.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20986 on: October 16, 2009, 07:17:50 PM »
Its pretty great isn't it?
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #20987 on: October 16, 2009, 07:38:03 PM »
The Flying Scotsman

I doubt anyone was considering seeing this one, but just in case you were, avoid it. It's not completely terrible, but it isn't worth your time either.

2/4

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #20988 on: October 16, 2009, 07:51:36 PM »
Dir. Spike Jonze

Magnificent.  This film is childhood.  Beautiful, terrifying, confusing, irrational and wild.  There is so much I want to say, but the film left me in such a strange place.  Instead of shouting from the hills and using fifty cent words to describe it, I just wanted to set.  Be still.  I wanted to reflect on what is surely the best movie I've seen this year, and what is the boldest movie I've seen in a while.

What I will say is this.  I have yet to find anything I didn't like about the film.  I can't call it perfect, but I can't find fault either.  The music/score is really magical and fits the action and emotion like a glove or maybe a well fitted bra, as it supports and lifts as well.  And the photography?  Lance Accord better get nominated, he's my current front runner. 

Grade A

This makes me insanely happy.

I'm getting excited now!
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #20989 on: October 16, 2009, 08:33:23 PM »

Paranormal Activity

***1/2 /****

I think this movie is BRILLIANT! I am never scared in horror films and this was scary as hell. It was so well done. The slow burn was perfect. The anticipation it built was really well done. Amazing what can be done for 15K. This is WAY better than the big budget horror films that come out. Read nothing and don't watch the trailer but go see this movie!

More reinforcement for my theory that quality and budget are inversely correlated when it comes to movies.

And this makes ME insanely happy!
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

love