Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996248 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21020 on: October 17, 2009, 09:06:52 PM »
Always listen to OAD, but especially in this instance.

If only so you can see both how entertaining and how overrated AH is.

This is the unpopular opinions thread, right?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #21021 on: October 17, 2009, 09:36:16 PM »
Whip It! (Drew Barrymore, 2009)
There is so much to like about this. It gives the impression that Barrymore has really learnt something from the director's she's worked with. No, it's not like she shows the greatest flair, and there are a lot of tried and true tropes and cliches, and more than a small debt to Bend it Like Beckham, but it has great moments, strong characters, and it works.

Page is great. I feel like if I had a teenage daughter I wouldn't hesitate to show her this as a positive role model. Actually, all the women are pretty great, even the mother, who has some beautiful moments. Wiig is really fantastic, and Juliette Lewis is a lot of fun. Barrymore cast herself in a pretty minor role, and downplays it. The love interest is really refreshing - he's pretty unattractive, although he does have a sort of rock-star-chic going on, and the way that sub-plot is handled is pretty great.

It's not gonna change the world. It's not the best debut ever. But it is surprisingly strong, and I don't think I stopped smiling once. Worth your time.

B

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21022 on: October 17, 2009, 09:38:44 PM »
Psycho

****/****

Funny how a movie can be such a part of pop culture you think you know everything about it before you even see it. I thought I pretty much knew everything about Psycho. I was mistaken.

This film is perfectly crafted with a nice slow burn leading to the violence. My conceptions of the film were way off. The famous shower scene had WAY less blood than I thought given how many times I had seen the clip, however, it was somehow more violent than I imagined. It is a perfect example of the less is more maxim. We dont need to see a ton of gore to get the horror. In fact, the more gore you see the less horrific it will be (see Hostel a movie that is not the slightest bit scary vs Paranormal Activity a really scary film).

Perkins is very good. All the cast is great.

I liked the ending and sort of knew it was coming from my general knowledge of the film.  What are people's problems with it.

Of the Hitchcock I have seen;

1) Rear Window
2) Psycho
3) North by Northwest
4) Vertigo (still not sure why this one is so highly regarded)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21023 on: October 17, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Regarding the ending: I've never liked it because it's a bunch of exposition that tells us what we should already know. It comes across as very much not needed and is a downer compared to the brilliance that comes before.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #21024 on: October 17, 2009, 09:43:14 PM »
You should watch Peeping Tom, clovis. Also, Vertigo should be at the top of that list.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:45:04 PM by roujin »

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #21025 on: October 17, 2009, 09:48:13 PM »

Corroboree (2007)
I didn't choose this film. They were looking in the latest release section, saw that it seemed a bit weird, a bit quirky, and contained some nudity. Plus it has played at a couple of film festivals. Yeah, Tim will like this. Hmmmm, if only I was so easy to please.

After the movie finally came to a grinding halt they said, well at least I got you back for some of the stuff you have made me watch (possibly implying Solaris). My response was, well if you are going to punish me with a film, at least make it one that you like, so that at least one of us enjoys the film. I think Beaches will be coming along next.....

About the movie you ask? Where shall I begin.......on the cover it sounds interesting enough, something along the lines of getting an actor to revisit some major milestones in a directors life when they are about to die, to help them relive the moment....in reality it just seems like a film school project where someone cobbled a few scenes together containing the same main character, who seems to be playing the part of a bad actor, reading lines aloud to move the story forward. The sounds of flies buzzing really dominate the soundtrack.
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21026 on: October 17, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »
Regarding the ending: I've never liked it because it's a bunch of exposition that tells us what we should already know. It comes across as very much not needed and is a downer compared to the brilliance that comes before.

This is a fair point in 2009 but I dont think it would be true in 1960. Today we all know about split personalities from the many films and TV shows we have seen. In 1960 I dont think the psychological explanations would be so obvious.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21027 on: October 17, 2009, 09:50:30 PM »
You should watch Peeping Tom, clovis. Also, Vertigo should be at the top of that list.

I am interested in seeing Peeping Tom. Vertigo was just not good I am sorry to say.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:13:41 PM by Clovis8 »

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #21028 on: October 17, 2009, 10:08:56 PM »

I am interesting in seeing Peeping Tom. Vertigo was just not good I am sorry to say.

I recommend you revisit Vertigo at some point, perhaps go through the Cinecast Hitchcock Marathon from 2005 as you have already seen his more famous works, just add The Birds in between Vertigo and Frenzy. Vertigo is extremely well written, the leads (Stewart and Novak) are fantastic, and Herrman's music really sucks you in, if you weren't there already......
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #21029 on: October 17, 2009, 10:16:15 PM »
"Vertigo" is so easily Hitchcock's greatest film, from what I've seen.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

love