love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996235 times)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21240 on: October 20, 2009, 12:18:01 AM »
I honestly dont understand an adult who says they find children more interesting than adults. Children have no complexity. It takes lived experience to be complex. It takes love, lose, history, sorrow, death, triumph, failure and a wide social circle. These are things that are not part of most childhoods.

I wouldn't say more interesting but there are plenty of films with child protagonists that I love: The 400 Blows, E.T., Stand by Me. And if I'm allowed to include adolescents and teens: Hoop Dreams, Sweet Sixteen...etc. Oh, and TV: Freaks and Geeks and season 4 of The Wire. Anyway, long story short, there are plenty of interesting and complex child protagonists...children do experience love and sorrow.   
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #21241 on: October 20, 2009, 12:52:13 AM »
Two For the Money

It was entertaining enough, for a film that was made to appeal to a wide audience. I felt like Pacino could've been even crazier, but maybe he just doesn't go there anymore. Russo was a surprise. I don't usually like her, but she sold me with her final scene.

I would've liked something a little less flashy, but I'll take what I can get.

2.5/4

Yeah.  I bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I liked the meta nature of the gambling aspect of it.  Pacino is gambling with Brandon Lang his wife and his other employees just like everything else.  The relationship with Russo was great I thought.  For me it was a real surprise because I didn't expect much going in.

And like I mentioned in that earlier thread, the actual Brandon Lang gives sports picks on local radio here every thursday - which just adds a whole nother layer.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21242 on: October 20, 2009, 02:44:19 AM »
Trick R Treat

I was really excited to watch this, guess it was over hyped for me.  It wasn't my thing.  The concept and execution are great, but none of the vignettes held my attention much.  I like Brian Cox's story the best, but still it didn't work for me very well.  I wish it had, cause it is very well done and I wanted to like it a lot.  Maybe over time it'll grow on me, but as of now I can't give it a great rating.

Grade B-
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21243 on: October 20, 2009, 07:18:30 AM »
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
        -Corinthians, Chapter 13, verse 11

This general belief is a major reason why adults are far less interesting to me. I want imagination, I want free thinking, I want to see people who don't categorize their life as a child as consisting of childish things. Those who do not learn from their past are doomed to repeat it and those who lock away their childhood are doomed to live boring lives.

It's just my opinion and all that but I have never understood societies fascination with forming some sort of marker in the sand over things that are okay to do as a child and things you should leave behind once you reach adulthood. Imagination the world over has been dying for centuries now because of this and it makes me really sad. I hope that one day we will have a world where there isn't a marker in the sand, that the wonders of childhood are recognized as universal and the imagination isn't killed once you reach a certain age.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:56:11 AM by Horror Can Be Pretty »

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #21244 on: October 20, 2009, 08:54:39 AM »
It's ironic that you're quoting the Bible, Mr atheist man.

I thought he was quoting Obama  ???

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #21245 on: October 20, 2009, 08:56:08 AM »
It's just my opinion and all that but I have never understood societies fascination with forming some sort marker in the sand over things that are okay to do as a child and things you should leave behind once you reach adulthood.

I'm still a proud bedwetter!

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21246 on: October 20, 2009, 08:57:01 AM »
It's just my opinion and all that but I have never understood societies fascination with forming some sort marker in the sand over things that are okay to do as a child and things you should leave behind once you reach adulthood.

I'm still a proud bedwetter!

The more of you, the better.  ;D

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #21247 on: October 20, 2009, 09:00:28 AM »
#239.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (David Hand, 1938) -

Once again a Disney movie I can't recall seeing, though I'm sure I did. What a great experience this film was. To think that it was made in 1938 is astounding to me. Sure there are some obvious things in the animation that make it sub-par by today's standards, but some of that is what added to the magic of it for me. Seeing the old animation, which by all accounts was pretty good by the way, made the film more romantic to me. Whether that's a fair additive critique-wise I don't really care because it made the experience for me better.

I am not the kind of person who can rattle off the names of all the Dwarfs, though I might pull it off now, but getting to know these little men over the course of the film was amazing. Each one was a great character and someone I liked. My favorite was Bashful, followed closely by Dopey, but to say I had a least favorite one would be a shame because I loved them all. I loved Snow White too. She is so wonderful. The Queen on the other hand, I don't know how much to say about her and her mirror on the wall. I thought there would be more of them, but really they didn't have a lot of time on screen. They were basically there to create stakes in this story about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, which was fine by me, I just liked spending time with all of them.

It was clear, watching this as a grown-up, the obvious "life lessons" of the film. There were many times when Snow White had to teach the dwarfs proper manners or what not. I actually appreciated these, I thought it was great. And they meshed it with the story seamlessly enough that it didn't affect the flow. There were also some terrifying moments in the film too. When Snow White first enters the forest, that scene is scary. And the fact that the Queen is having Snow White killed, telling the huntsman to bring her heart back in a box, that's gruesome. And when the Dwarfs first encounter Snow White, they think she is a monster and are going to kill "it". Pretty tense stuff for little kids, but don't worry, I'm not one of those people who says that it will make kids bad or anything, just commenting. I actually liked it, but then again I'm a grown-up. But I do see the forest scene being a good thing to set the stakes for children anyway. Snow White is off to some foreign, scary land, running away from her wicked step-mother Queen.

The animals were wonderful creations too. The raccoons were adorable, as was every other little creature of the forest. That is why the animation was so great, all the little creations and characters were so warm, cute, and lively. A true achievement in film, outside the fact that it was the "first feature length animated film". This is something I would revisit multiple times down the road, with or without kids, but especially with kids.

Rating: 4/4
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21248 on: October 20, 2009, 09:22:08 AM »
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
        -Corinthians, Chapter 13, verse 11
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #21249 on: October 20, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
Big C, you are so wrong about Snow White.

love