love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997174 times)

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21300 on: October 21, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »

The Greatest Story Ever Told[1965]
Sometimes a movie is exactly what you expect it to be.  This is the case with George Stevens' biblical epic 'The Greatest Story Ever Told'.  I wanted to give this nearly three and a half hour long story of Jesus' life a fair watch.  I thought it couldn't possibly be as boring as I was envisioning.  I was wrong.  At no point does Stevens try to do anything even remotely interesting.  He had a story, he told it.  It was as dry and unemotional as reading from a text book.  The score, dialog, acting, cinematography seemed to be over reaching and trying to force an epic tale into an utterly bland film.  It's not that I need thrills every second either.  I can appreciate that the film takes its time.  My problem was that it was continually falling flat thematically, and didn't earn its casually pace.  Stevens was simply connecting dots without investing.  Perhaps if you are deeply religious the film would connect better, but for me everything seemed a whitewash version of the bible story.
Rating: 1/5

Has anyone else seen this?  Am I completely missing something?  Please tell me what I'm missing from this.  It was terrible.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:09:45 PM by BlueVoid »
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21301 on: October 21, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »
CSSCHNEIDER is going on a post-completion binge... lucky devil!

Yeah...  about that.  I'm working on a film that is currently in development hell, my first feature in fact.  So, normally I'd be working 18 hours a day to prep it, but I've done as much as I can on it for the moment, including a number of camera tests, location scouts, etc, but until they find more money I'm taking it easy.  So, I'm catching up and padding my numbers for the years end BFCS Awards that I'm apart of.

And onto yet another review...

FANBOYS

From the little I know about this film from following it in the web this film was troubled, finally getting a limited release this year before ultimately getting dumped on DVD.  Two cuts of the film exist, one with the Cancer subplot removed.  I saw the Cancerous Cut.

Brass tacks makes me see this for the flawed movie it is.  But what they get right is really cool and that is what it meant to be a Star Wars fan Pre-Prequels. 

While I've never dressed up in a Star Wars costume, I certainly was very much like these guys and salivated over the thought of new Star Wars films.  Now that I know what that actually means (the tainting of something sacred, the terrible effects and acting, the down right disrespect those films show to Star Wars fans) its hard to remember the time before.  But the film really does justice, in my opinion, to the fervor and love die hard Star Wars fans had.  The arguments/discussions were real, we cared.  Now, its kind of embarrassing to be a Star Wars fan, this film reminded me of just how awesome those days were and how much I truly despise what has become of Star Wars.

At ComicCon this year I landed in the Star Wars panel, not cause I wanted to but because I had to sit through it to make sure I would have a seat for the James Cameron and Peter Jackson discussion.  The Star Wars panel was maddening.  It was a 90 minute commercial for nothing new or entertaining.  Most of it devoted to expansion packs for video games, and their video commercials didn't really tell you anything about the games, technology or gameplay, instead they were flashy advertisements.  That was really it.  You could feel two separate emotions at play.  The few that just ate up anything that said Star Wars, but mostly an overwhelming sense of "That's It?  Not even an update on the Live Action TV Series?  Nothing?  Just a run through of stuff we already knew?"  And that's what I feel Star Wars has become, a series of empty promises.  FANBOYS reminded me that once, Star Wars was wish fulfillment.  Something great to be admired.  I still love the OT, but its not the same anymore.

Grade B
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #21302 on: October 21, 2009, 08:40:19 PM »
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Holy wow.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #21303 on: October 21, 2009, 08:44:37 PM »
Brief Encounter (David Lean, 1945) -

I watched pretty much most of the second half of this in my British film class. To be honest I didn't really like it. The narration was just plain awful; talk about saying exactly what was going on in the film. I could tell it was a well made film, but it wasn't for me.

Rating: Not interested in going back to see the whole thing.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #21304 on: October 21, 2009, 09:15:38 PM »
Happy Go Lucky

What a great movie, and what a great character! I know in the past I've complained about films that head in no particular direction... I guess I could accuse Leigh of doing the same thing here, and yet in this case I loved every minute. Somehow there's never a dull moment... idk, Leigh doesn't seem to wallow. There's always a dialogue taking place.

What else can I give this film but 4/4? No complaints. It really hit the spot!

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #21305 on: October 21, 2009, 09:18:41 PM »
#240.

Monsters vs. Aliens (Conrad Vernon & Rob Letterman, 2009) -

This was a yawn fest if I'm being perfectly honest. The premise was fine, but they didn't explain a whole lot and the story progressed in such a way that I was never on the edge of my seat. The characters were okay, but overall nothing very special. B.O.B. was my favorite, the only thing that made me laugh or smile in the film. And Susan was a nice female lead. She was empowering and can be a good role model for little girls, but apart from that the film just bored me, I didn't care. I think it tried to be too hip for the kids and too political for the adults as well. And the animation was nothing special.

Rating: 2/4...#53 of 2009 so far
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #21306 on: October 21, 2009, 09:59:33 PM »

B.O.B. was my favorite, the only thing that made me laugh or smile in the film.

Really? That's odd. I thought the humor was great, unlike in Up, but the story and visuals were mostly dull.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #21307 on: October 21, 2009, 11:01:30 PM »
Happy Go Lucky

What a great movie, and what a great character! I know in the past I've complained about films that head in no particular direction... I guess I could accuse Leigh of doing the same thing here, and yet in this case I loved every minute. Somehow there's never a dull moment... idk, Leigh doesn't seem to wallow. There's always a dialogue taking place.

What else can I give this film but 4/4? No complaints. It really hit the spot!

Yay!!!!!

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #21308 on: October 21, 2009, 11:20:21 PM »
Badlands

I'm not really sure when I was supposed to care. Shouldn't two psychopaths be interesting or at the very least evoke empathy/disdain/horror/pity or something? A shame. 5/10.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21309 on: October 21, 2009, 11:24:40 PM »
Badlands

I'm not really sure when I was supposed to care. Shouldn't two psychopaths be interesting or at the very least evoke empathy/disdain/horror/pity or something? A shame. 5/10.

Depends really. If you need to feel something for your characters then I can understand your desire to feel something. When I watched Badlands I remember being very impressed with the fact that Malick didn't want me to feel anything for either of them, just experience what they experience.

love