Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3762331 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #21250 on: October 21, 2009, 08:44:37 PM »
Brief Encounter (David Lean, 1945) -

I watched pretty much most of the second half of this in my British film class. To be honest I didn't really like it. The narration was just plain awful; talk about saying exactly what was going on in the film. I could tell it was a well made film, but it wasn't for me.

Rating: Not interested in going back to see the whole thing.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #21251 on: October 21, 2009, 09:15:38 PM »
Happy Go Lucky

What a great movie, and what a great character! I know in the past I've complained about films that head in no particular direction... I guess I could accuse Leigh of doing the same thing here, and yet in this case I loved every minute. Somehow there's never a dull moment... idk, Leigh doesn't seem to wallow. There's always a dialogue taking place.

What else can I give this film but 4/4? No complaints. It really hit the spot!

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #21252 on: October 21, 2009, 09:18:41 PM »
#240.

Monsters vs. Aliens (Conrad Vernon & Rob Letterman, 2009) -

This was a yawn fest if I'm being perfectly honest. The premise was fine, but they didn't explain a whole lot and the story progressed in such a way that I was never on the edge of my seat. The characters were okay, but overall nothing very special. B.O.B. was my favorite, the only thing that made me laugh or smile in the film. And Susan was a nice female lead. She was empowering and can be a good role model for little girls, but apart from that the film just bored me, I didn't care. I think it tried to be too hip for the kids and too political for the adults as well. And the animation was nothing special.

Rating: 2/4...#53 of 2009 so far
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #21253 on: October 21, 2009, 09:59:33 PM »

B.O.B. was my favorite, the only thing that made me laugh or smile in the film.

Really? That's odd. I thought the humor was great, unlike in Up, but the story and visuals were mostly dull.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #21254 on: October 21, 2009, 11:01:30 PM »
Happy Go Lucky

What a great movie, and what a great character! I know in the past I've complained about films that head in no particular direction... I guess I could accuse Leigh of doing the same thing here, and yet in this case I loved every minute. Somehow there's never a dull moment... idk, Leigh doesn't seem to wallow. There's always a dialogue taking place.

What else can I give this film but 4/4? No complaints. It really hit the spot!

Yay!!!!!

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #21255 on: October 21, 2009, 11:20:21 PM »
Badlands

I'm not really sure when I was supposed to care. Shouldn't two psychopaths be interesting or at the very least evoke empathy/disdain/horror/pity or something? A shame. 5/10.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21256 on: October 21, 2009, 11:24:40 PM »
Badlands

I'm not really sure when I was supposed to care. Shouldn't two psychopaths be interesting or at the very least evoke empathy/disdain/horror/pity or something? A shame. 5/10.

Depends really. If you need to feel something for your characters then I can understand your desire to feel something. When I watched Badlands I remember being very impressed with the fact that Malick didn't want me to feel anything for either of them, just experience what they experience.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21257 on: October 21, 2009, 11:25:06 PM »
Badlands

but all the pretty random shots of nature!  ;)

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #21258 on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:42 PM »
Badlands

Depends really. If you need to feel something for your characters then I can understand your desire to feel something. When I watched Badlands I remember being very impressed with the fact that Malick didn't want me to feel anything for either of them, just experience what they experience.

Hmmm, a rather numbing experience. I'd rather feel anything but indifferent.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21259 on: October 21, 2009, 11:34:57 PM »
Badlands

Hmmm, a rather numbing experience. I'd rather feel anything but indifferent.

I guess that's where we differ big time, I felt everything but indifference for Badlands, I thought it was a very evocative and powerful film, Malick's best for me.